Derby County v Cardiff City - match day thread

Kernow

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Well I don't see Will Hughes getting the same level of abuse Keogh gets?

Would be very surprised if one player could negatively influence a team's season 3 years on the trot and 4 different managers failed ti spot it.

It would depend if that player was a captain, and was undroppable no matter how they performed. I wouldn't bet that no manager failed to spot it either. For all the "any club would take him" claims, no one has. He is here to stay and given new deals by the man upstairs. Buckle up for more of the same. 

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

It irks me when people say this team isn't good enough. It is. But that's what makes it all the more frustrating!  

Good enough for what though? Individually we're good enough. On paper our players are good enough. When we're playing to the best of our ability we're good enough. When you look at the team over a 46 game season, we are not good enough.

3 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

It would depend if that player was a captain, and was undroppable no matter how they performed. I wouldn't bet that no manager failed to spot it either. For all the "any club would take him" claims, no one has. He is here to stay and given new deals by the man upstairs. Buckle up for more of the same. 

Are you suggesting that he is being given new contracts and the managers have no say in it?

Given that Pearson was allowed to ship out our top scorer I would say it looks from the outside that he was given free reign to do as he wanted to, yet he decided not to ship Keogh out? Also decided that he was first choice ahead of Shackell and Pearce...

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Bent is fine... Anya has poor control tho. Nugent did nothing when he came on. He's sposed to be a super sub but I haven't seen anything super about him at all so far. 

I thought it was a big chance for Anya tonight and he somewhat blew it. Too nice for me when we need some endeavour.

My point with Nugent would be his work it's his back turned to goal, essentially someone to hold up the ball. Bent is fine, he's scoring goals but it's the rest of his game that worries me. We cant rely on Ince as a hold up man as he can be too easily picked out/marked on the wing

In fairness to Nuge tonight, we were still obsessed with lumping balls towards Bent after he came on. With that any momentum we had going forward was lost. Although it did pay off once I guess.

24 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Not sure why the face.

Just pointing out that people saying it's the same bunch of players failing over and over again are incorrect.

It's interesting that people think it's the same players. Maybe it shows the underlying reality that nothing has really changed. Flattering to deceive, no winning mentality, prone to monumental cock ups and slumps at crucial times. None of the players signed in the last few years have changed that. BJ and Shackell should have but haven't.

4 minutes ago, CumbrianRam said:

Not the point I was making, just saying it isn't just down the board why he plays, heck our record signing can't get into the 18.

I have no idea why he plays every game. It's beyond me. It's beyond Adrian Durham too. It's beyond a lot of people. 

1 minute ago, Reithe glas said:

It's interesting that people think it's the same players. Maybe it shows the underlying reality that nothing has really changed. Flattering to deceive, no winning mentality, prone to monumental cock ups and slumps at crucial times. None of the players signed in the last few years have changed that. BJ and Shackell should have but haven't.

Or maybe, just maybe this team is not good enough. 

Will be an interesting summer to say the least.

5 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I thought it was a big chance for Anya tonight and he somewhat blew it. Too nice for me when we need some endeavour.

First half I thought he was great. The movement from the forwards was top notch and there options every time we went forward.

When the going got tough seconf half though he was non existent along with 4 or 5 other players.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

First half I thought he was great. The movement from the forwards was top notch and there options every time we went forward.

When the going got tough seconf half though he was non existent along with 4 or 5 other players.

Again it was the magic 40 minute mark. He was doing fine, but he started getting panicky with the ball and was guilty of a few hospital passes towards the end. To me he started to be scared of attacking his full back and anything going forward began to break down around him.

I do hope he comes good, he has the ability to be a handful but I just don't see it at the minute. Maybe a run in the side might mean he starts to turn, but again there are 4 or 5 others that the exact same thing needs to happen to and I just can't see it after tonight

Keogh was a step above the lot of them tonight. When they scored their fourth he grabbed the ball, full on sprinted to half way and slammed the ball down. 

Minus one bad pass he was flawless, felt bad for him that he was in such poor of a side tonight, trying to do everything himself at times. There's no CB like him in the league that'll run into spaces and do the basics well, constantly making the right pass too. Zohore had him in the air often tonight but then Zohore is bigger and better at that, it's all he's there for. 

Pearce very poor even before the penalty, Shackell will come in, we need to start closing people down. Far too many goals are conceded when we're  allowing folk to simply run at us. They deserved that first Harris goal as we let them down that side four/five times before that, Keogh began shouting for De Sart and Co to cover there second half more frequently. 

5 minutes ago, Alex W said:

Keogh was a step above the lot of them tonight. When they scored their fourth he grabbed the ball, full on sprinted to half way and slammed the ball down. 

Minus one bad pass he was flawless, felt bad for him that he was in such poor of a side tonight, trying to do everything himself at times. There's no CB like him in the league that'll run into spaces and do the basics well, constantly making the right pass too. Zohore had him in the air often tonight but then Zohore is bigger and better at that, it's all he's there for. 

Pearce very poor even before the penalty, Shackell will come in, we need to start closing people down. Far too many goals are conceded when we're  allowing folk to simply run at us. They deserved that first Harris goal as we let them down that side four/five times before that, Keogh began shouting for De Sart and Co to cover there second half more frequently. 

He doesn't do the basics well. He gets caught out of position, backs off, turns his back and leaves a leg out (hence the number of deflected goals he concedes). That is not doing the basics well. The basics as a centre half is holding your position, gandalf style. He does the icing very well. The cake he does dreadfully. 

11 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

He doesn't do the basics well. He gets caught out of position, backs off, turns his back and leaves a leg out (hence the number of deflected goals he concedes). That is not doing the basics well. The basics as a centre half is holding your position, gandalf style. He does the icing very well. The cake he does dreadfully. 

You're still judging him on the Mansfield game.

As Alex said lost his headers tonight, there are going to be games where that happens, but other than that was absolutely head and shoulders above Pearce.

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Mac can only do so much with this Frankenstein group of players....

It's amazing he dragged us out of the relegation zone in the first place

Looking forwards to the first proper Mc team next season....

Thats the answer all the time...... lets wait until next year, next year we will romp the league, once the new manager comes in we will be great next season, next season the league will be ours, a couple more signings and next season we will be fine....... guess what.....we will be just as frail, just as spineless and just as unlikely to go up next season as we have been for the last god knows how many.

The one person I really feel for is William, he needs to be knocking on the managers door first thing tomorrow asking to move on in the summer, he is too good for this shambles.

Archived