Rams Folklore

hintonsboots

My Dad reminisces about a character he used to go to the BBG with in the early 70's. His name was Harold Johnson a builder from Burton I think . He was built like a brick sh1thouse and in the winter wore only a shirt unbuttoned to the waist with the sleeves rolled up .

On the way to a game v Man Utd they were walking towards the ground when a couple of dozen Utd fans headed for them with malicious intent. Johnson says stay behind me lad and waded into them. According to my old man"They parted like the Red Sea". Does anyone remember this bloke ? Great story anyway I've heard it 53 times lol.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember hearing about a guy who turned up at Cambridge away in the early 80's with two grass snakes in his pockets - much to the surprise of the copper who was patting him down at the turnstiles. Apparently he took them on the pop side regularly. 

Would love this story to be true. Wonder if the are any other lizard related Rams anecdotes?

1 minute ago, Whitley ram said:

I remember hearing about a guy who turned up at Cambridge away in the early 80's with two grass snakes in his pockets - much to the surprise of the copper who was patting him down at the turnstiles. Apparently he took them on the pop side regularly. 

Would love this story to be true. Wonder if the are any other lizard related Rams anecdotes?

I know one, but not on that scale. 

Their were a few eccentric fans in the 1970s.

Apart from Oldtimeram I can think of a few

Sue and Lorraine. Two girls who popped up everywhere,  home and away and every Derby County function going. I used to have to hide whenever I saw Sue lol.

Ernie Hallam also known as Mr Ramaway. Nice chap and very passionate about the club to the end. He used to have a sidekick that always helped him out at supporters club functions but I cannot recall his name though.

Jon Warcup.    As mad as a hatter. He always wore the same green check sports jacket and tie regardless of the weather.  He attended every game he could, home and away including first team,  the reserves and the A Team.

There was also the guy that changed his name to Derby by deed poll.

16 hours ago, Whitley ram said:

Ive smuggled a couple of Cobra's into PP a few times, does that count?

22 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

We've had a few over the years. Don't remember the one in the original post but does anyone remember Fagin and his old coat? Looked like a tramp.

Yes.

i was beginning to think i'd dreamt it.

he used to smash the tops off beer bottles and drink from the broken bottle

11 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Nobody knows Harold Johnson then ? 

Disappointed ? thought at least he might of built a dodgy extension for somebody.

Allegedly.

Demolished a brick shthouse probably.

Archived