Rams Folklore

hintonsboots

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/02/2017 at 09:34, hintonsboots said:

My Dad reminisces about a character he used to go to the BBG with in the early 70's. His name was Harold Johnson a builder from Burton I think . He was built like a brick sh1thouse and in the winter wore only a shirt unbuttoned to the waist with the sleeves rolled up .

On the way to a game v Man Utd they were walking towards the ground when a couple of dozen Utd fans headed for them with malicious intent. Johnson says stay behind me lad and waded into them. According to my old man"They parted like the Red Sea". Does anyone remember this bloke ? Great story anyway I've heard it 53 times lol.

He went from the Anglesey Arms in Stretton. I used to go with him, exactly as you described him. Real nice guy, always had a big wad of cash in his back pocket.

2 hours ago, bcnram said:

He went from the Anglesey Arms in Stretton. I used to go with him, exactly as you described him. Real nice guy, always had a big wad of cash in his back pocket.

Well done bcnram , mystery solved. The Anglesey Arms definitely rings a bell and I'm sure my Dad took me in the pub, before a game, probably had lemonade and a packet of cheese and onion, was the landlords surname Royle ? Not Jim obviously.. 

3 hours ago, hintonsboots said:

Well done bcnram , mystery solved. The Anglesey Arms definitely rings a bell and I'm sure my Dad took me in the pub, before a game, probably had lemonade and a packet of cheese and onion, was the landlords surname Royle ? Not Jim obviously.. 

John Royle & Betty Royle. John, Harold his brother Cyril, myself and 1 or 2 others used to go. Occasionally Frank Wignalls father would come with us.

On 11/02/2017 at 09:20, oldtimeram said:

Their were a few eccentric fans in the 1970s.

Apart from Oldtimeram I can think of a few

Sue and Lorraine. Two girls who popped up everywhere,  home and away and every Derby County function going. I used to have to hide whenever I saw Sue lol.

Ernie Hallam also known as Mr Ramaway. Nice chap and very passionate about the club to the end. He used to have a sidekick that always helped him out at supporters club functions but I cannot recall his name though.

Jon Warcup.    As mad as a hatter. He always wore the same green check sports jacket and tie regardless of the weather.  He attended every game he could, home and away including first team,  the reserves and the A Team.

There was also the guy that changed his name to Derby by deed poll.

Sue and Lorraine? Were they the two women who always stood behind Ossie End goal down near the front? 

Lovely ladies...even if, occasionally,  their colourful language came as something of an education to young ears like mine at the time..lol

I remember before a game in Nottingham them waving to me across the road in their Derby scarves just as bedlam broke out among the natives 'cos the Derby train had just pulled in (it kicked off big time outside the station)..

On 2/10/2017 at 09:47, cosmic said:

Sounds like Jake Buxton quantum leaped.

Just to give an update on the Derby legend and possible Grandfather of Sir Jake Buxton( allegedly) Mr Harold Johnson. I have wracked the old mans brain for more info.

My Dad went to a game in London in 1970 QPR v Derby fifth round of the F.A Cup, when the competition was taken seriously by all teams involved. Anyway the Rams lost 1-0, the goal resulting in a back pass from Dave Mackay sticking in the mud, and them scoring. Before the game Harold purchased 24 Oysters and downed them one after the other in a few minutes. He also remembers the large wad of cash he carried in his back pocket. Great bloke, remembered fondly by those who new him.

Archived