Darren Bent

TheresOnlyWanChope

To counter the moaning from people behind me in the east stand every match- "he's useless, he's doing nothing etc," in my opinion Bent is really doing the business. He's scoring goals now, his finishing is excellent and has formed good partnerships with Ince and Hughes in particular.  Could be very important for us in the run in. Top player. 

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, unclej said:

Blackman is just dreadful.  I dont know what he is seeing on the training ground but his last appearances on the actual pitch have been less than woeful, to be generous. 

Bookmarked.

I will just expand on the reason for that. Before McClaren arrived, people were moaning about everybody in the squad, pretty much, but especially the 'dead wood' like Pearce, Baird, Bent and Johnson - one poster even suggested that Ince should be given a free transfer.

Since McClaren arrived, every single one of those players has been excellent. Why that should be I'm not exactly sure, but I'm damned certain that the manager had an awful lot to do with the improvement.

Also since McClaren arrived, Nick Blackman has been injured. He hasn't made a single appearance in the first team. Are you so certain that we will not see a similar resurgence in his form?

3 minutes ago, unclej said:

Blackman is just dreadful.  I dont know what he is seeing on the training ground but his last appearances on the actual pitch have been less than woeful, to be generous. 

That's the spirit.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Always was a nature poacher - normally find him in the 6 yard box.

Strong, great at holding off defenders and can read a game, instinctively knows where the ball should land in the box.

Fantastic in the air too. His positioning really is a reflection of a top player. It's a shame we don't put the ball where it should go and where he is more often because his finishing is fantastic. 

Thing I love about Bent is that he's the poacher the amount of balls which are put in the box and no one's near the 6 yard line depresses me. Now we have Bent for that maybe we could get someone on the back post now and again !? Happy with Bent though!

2 hours ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Why does that matter?

Because it's not entirely relevant to his goal record in 16/17. It gives a false impression of his record since McClarens return. Which is decent but not that incredible. 

3 hours ago, Tombo said:

Wouldn't say Bent is doing the business that much. 3 in 3 in all competitions is great, keep going. Goes without saying I want him to do well but he's not been at it for most of the season.

At the start of the season he was mainly sub and the team wasn't scoring at all. I think he has scored 8 goals in 14 starts and 27 total appearances. In a team which hasn't been scoring many goals, I would say these are fairly impressive stats considering around half the time he's played, he has come off the bench. 

6 minutes ago, Davide said:

At the start of the season he was mainly sub and the team wasn't scoring at all. I think he has scored 8 goals in 14 starts and 27 total appearances. In a team which hasn't been scoring many goals, I would say these are fairly impressive stats considering around half the time he's played, he has come off the bench. 

8 in 14 starts is impressive! :thumbsup:

Archived