Summer Transfer Suggestion Thread 17/18

Nuwtfly

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

What i think we need some one who can link a attack from midfield or someone who can sit behind the strikers and who can feed balls through to them.

Hughes

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Andicis said:

And Knockaert played in the better side. I.e. making it more easy to play a key pass, since they had the ball more often, and had more incisive attackers to play it forward to. Having more of the ball allowing for more dribbles. Also, being put under pressure less often, as they had more control of the game, and therefore less poor control. 

Let's not pretend that your cherry picked stats make it out to paint a better image that the ones provided before, yours are just as inaccurate of a representation in skill of player, as opposed to skill of team.

I understand that, I was just pointing out that the pedantic assertion that "statistically Ince is a more creative player than Knockaert because he had more goals and assists" is unfounded. Also Brighton and Derby had exactly the same possession percentage last year (51%), so BHA definitely didn't have more of the ball. And at 13.4 Shots pg for Brighton and 12.8 Shots pg for Derby, I wouldn't say they necessarily "had more control of the game" by a large amount, they were just more clinical.

You can easily find statistics showing Knockaert to be a more creative player. At least the stats I've cherry picked have more of an individual element to them than assists, which are basically a team stat.

58 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Yes and "Goal + Assist ratio to minutes played" is the only way to determine the Championship's "most creative player".

Knockaert had 2.1 Key Passes a game, Ince only had 1.6

Knockaert had 2.6 dribbles a game, Ince had 1.1

Knockaert only controlled the ball poorly 1.8 times a game, Ince 2.3

Knockaert was voted Championship Player of the Year; Ince couldn't even win DCFC Player of the Year.

Right, they are all very good stats... However... the main ones of Goals & Assists are what counts on the score boards. Ince last year was the better player than Knockaert. No idea how he won player of the season. 

2 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

I understand that, I was just pointing out that the pedantic assertion that "statistically Ince is a more creative player than Knockaert because he had more goals and assists" is unfounded. Also Brighton and Derby had exactly the same possession percentage last year (51%), so BHA definitely didn't have more of the ball. And at 13.4 Shots pg for Brighton and 12.8 Shots pg for Derby, I wouldn't say they necessarily "had more control of the game" by a large amount, they were just more clinical.

You can easily find statistics showing Knockaert to be a more creative player. At least the stats I've cherry picked have more of an individual element to them than assists, which are basically a team stat.

I guess the point I was trying to make was I don't think you can easily judge individual performances from statistics, after all football is a team game. I think Ince and Knockaert are quite similar in ability, there are arguments for either side, both can be refuted, but I think overall it's more of a reflection of team, rather than player individually in a majority of cases, with an argument that could be made that Ince's stats were hit by Nigel Pearson's era etc.

On 5/28/2017 at 10:41, RamNut said:

carson and mitchell

Jason McCarthy 21 and christie

forsyth, olsson and lowe

keogh and Liam Lindsay 21

Pearce and Baird

thorne, butterfield (last chance) and hanson

grant ward 22 and Ben brereton 18 (big fee)

hughes and ryan ledson 19

Callum robinson 22  and bennett

martin and nugent

Ince and russell (last chance)

I know brereton is a striker for forest but i think he could be an outstanding attacking midfielder

watching......josh morris, tom lockyer, lopes (peterboro), konsa (charlton), ryan kent 

If you think Forest would sell Brereton to us, you must be on crack. 

Brereton isnt very good anyway IMO, BUT, now that they have the new owner they may be more willing to sell to us than Fawaz was. He only didnt sell Lansbury and Antonio to us so that he could win some points with their fans.

Maybe Demis Roussos might see it more as a business transaction rather than a toy?

1 hour ago, Andicis said:

I guess the point I was trying to make was I don't think you can easily judge individual performances from statistics, after all football is a team game. I think Ince and Knockaert are quite similar in ability, there are arguments for either side, both can be refuted, but I think overall it's more of a reflection of team, rather than player individually in a majority of cases, with an argument that could be made that Ince's stats were hit by Nigel Pearson's era etc.

I agree with you, my opinion is that Knockaert is the better player but I agree to base that purely on statistics would be completely pointless.

1 hour ago, RamsPolls said:

Right, they are all very good stats... However... the main ones of Goals & Assists are what counts on the score boards. Ince last year was the better player than Knockaert. No idea how he won player of the season. 

Nah I disagree, while Goals and Assists count on the scoreboard they're a poor measure of individual attributes like "creativity". Something like key passes is a better stat for measuring that.

19 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Statistically that statement isn't correct. Ince has a better Goal + Assist ratio to minutes played compared to Knockaert... 

In the big games though, Knockaert delivers whereas (bar Forest games this season) Ince goes missing.

Would have Knockaert over Ince all day long. That's not to say Ince didn't have a good season. He was our best outfield player but would happily sacrifice him if it allows Rowett to build a more effective team. 

1 minute ago, RamsPolls said:

Joe Ledley anyone? Would provide decent cover for the CDM position. Proven quality in the premier league. 

Supposedly to be going back to Cardiff City. 

Archived