Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

No way is Martin playing today. I don't know any Fulham fans but i'd imagine he is public enemy number 1, massively. He could even argue that an expected reaction from the fans could be putting his personal safety at risk.

He won't play today - and he'll be back on Tuesday.

4 minutes ago, muzzamurray said:

He looks like he is in the squad for fulham today. Even if he comes back wouldn't expect him to be featuring in our cup games.... 

We've only got one more cup game this season, so that's fine. Unless we can score 5 to offset the mandatory 4 goals conceded away at Leicester that is.

I don't get the outrage with what Derby and Martin have done here. If I was a Fulham fan then it would be the club I would be annoyed at, as they've let it get to this stage. 

Fulham could have signed Martin in the summer, which, if it had of happened, would have meant this saga never saw the light of day. Of course, we could have looked to sign him back and he could have done a 'Pogba' so to speak. In any case, Fulham would have been well, well, well compensated.

Nevertheless, Fulham took an non-committal approach with Martin in the summer and went for a 'try-before-you-buy' method. At the time, we were left furious and Fulham fans couldn't believe their luck, mostly stating: 'if he's **** then we can send him back at the end of the season and Derby have a dwindling asset on their books. If he's good then we can trigger the agreement and look to sign him. In hindsight, they went down the wrong route.

The situation meant: Chris Martin was still a registered employee with Derby County. Fulham had an agreement with Derby County over a permanent fee in the future. Fulham didn't have any agreement with Chris Martin past the coming season. 

When McClaren came back, it was obvious that he would want Martin back. It quickly came to light that Martin wanted to come back, too. We, as his employer, acknowledged the situation with Fulham and requested that we have him back. They, within their rights, said no. In the long-term, though, we were always within our right to offer Chris Martin a contract. Fulham, equally, could('ve) trigger(ed) the previous agreement they had with Derby County and looked to offer Martin a contract. 

I don't know if Fulham have done that, I don't know if there was/is any point in Fulham doing that, but Martin has signed a contract extension with Derby and we know, at the very latest, he will be with us next season. 

Fulham could have, perhaps should have, been more committed to the future of Chris Martin earlier in the season. We've just done everything we can to rectify an abhorrent wrong. It was always within Fulham's power to avoid this situation, they just weren't committed enough. 

I don't know if they will send him back, but it seems beyond pointless keeping him now. 

It's now going to develop into a form of Mexican standoff. 

It looks like Jokanovic is happy simply to Cup-tie Martin just for the hell of it.

Completely understand their position, we were idiot enough to agree to the deal in the first place, but this isn't going to end well now for either side.

Their fans are rightly in uproar, Martin doesn't want to be there, we have just lit the touchpaper and are sitting back watching the sparks fly.

Not good.

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

He is a Fulham player until June or Tuesday.

My take on it is he will be back at Derby this week. 

He has been picked today because Fulham have no one else to play up front today and will get someone in before Tuesday 2300 hrs to replace our Chris. 

Archived