Steve Bloomer Day

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

Check this out! I'd love to know the history behind him managing out there! 

It's all in the book 

10 hours ago, North_Stand_Ram said:

It's all in the book Steve Bloomer: The Story of Football's First Superstar
Book by Peter J. Seddon

its a very good read.

23 hours ago, Ellafella said:

It's all in the book 

It's all in the book Steve Bloomer: The Story of Football's First Superstar
Book by Peter J. Seddon

its a very good read.

It is a really interesting book. One anecdote that sticks with me is when he was interned in the first war. He'd been in Germany on some sort of tour and was put in a camp. They were treated pretty well. The camp had a football league and another inmate kept a diary. Memory tells me Steve played for the stables team. The diary entry for one game recorded something along the lines of :  

"The Stables played the Kitchen, the former winning by 14-2 helped no doubt by having Steve Bloomer of Derby County and England in their team"  :lol:

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Sounds a good idea, who could disagree with a jaunt to Spain?! :)

It's a bit far from me though. How about if the first team comes over to Oliva Nova Golf like all the age groups have! That's only about half an hour away for me and would be much appreciated ?

Maybe if Mel is reading we could arrange that friendly in March against this team, I'm pretty sure you'll get a decent crowd and maybe play annually for a Steve Bloomer trophy?

2 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Maybe if Mel is reading we could arrange that friendly in March against this team, I'm pretty sure you'll get a decent crowd and maybe play annually for a Steve Bloomer trophy?

Unfortunately they are in the Spanish 2nd division B. They don't have the international breaks.

I feel I haven't appreciated Steve Bloomer half as much as I should've. With Rooney breaking the Man Utd recirdnit got me wondering if he was anywhere close to the most top flight (not just premier league) goals so I looked up the list. 

I was shocked to find Jimmy Greaves at the top (I think I nee that at the back of my mind, but my only memory of Jimmy Greaves is presenting Saint and Greavsie on ITV, and he was slightly rotund and mistachioed). And lonand behold, right behind Greavsie in the list is our Steve Bloomer. It'll take a long time to knock him off that perch. 

Proper immortal. 

20 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Brilliant idea Bob .. Maybe it should be in the suggestions for the club thread. Lots of interest and a bit of sporting romance thrown in. Football is the only truely global game, we should build on it. 

Had a look at their website. Pretty good ( unlike my Spanish :ermm:)

5th in the table, just drawn 2-2 against Real Sociadad B

Black and white .. Think I might make them my Spanish side to keep an eye on, although not being sure of the quality it might be a Macclesfield Town experience  

Archived