Genuine deadwood

Sparkle

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Should we not give Nugent 45 mins or so to adapt to our way of playing before we write him off? Nah you're right - f#ck him.

Whats the difference between being a player thats not good enough and being deadwood? Which is it better to be?

Players that aren't good enough are players who do have a position in our current system, but they're just not at the required quality needed. Camara is a left attack-minded winger/forward, and Hanson's natural role is a holding midfielder. Pity, but both are League One standard.

Deadwood are players who just don't offer us anythng. Blackman and Weimann are average footballers, and aside from that they don't suit our style of play. So they fall into the deadwood category. ie. no use at all.

The likes of Vydra, Anya and Bent are solid enough footballers, but they don't suit our style.

Nugent I see as the same type as the three above. I'm not judging him on 45 minutes here at Derby, I'm judging him on his entire career and the way in which he plays football. I can't see how he is ever going to effective as the lone forward tasked with bringng others into play. It's simply not his game.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer your question, its easy for us to pull players apart ,so called dead wood and i could name more than a few myself .However let SM work with them ,see who can work for him and adapt and let him do the decision making on my behalf.All the players were brought in for a reason and not necessarily under Macs reign.

Didnt understand  Blackman signing and thought he was overpriced ( perhaps a gamble that was worth a risk) and not totally convinced about Nugent at the moment especially for £2.5 mill.But what do i know about football?Only what i read and see which is probably 40% of what is happening unless your involved with the club over seeing training,aware of issuies,sycology,performance levels injuries being carried by individuzl players ect. Sure it will come right by the next transfer window hopefully signing quality rather than quantity.

7 hours ago, WoollyJumper said:

To be fair to Bris, he's not saying that Nugent isn't good enough. It's just that he doesn't think Nugent suits our style.

But he hasn't given him a chance in this style?

My point is that if you write him off before giving him a chance that's unfair. I disagreed with the signing but I will give him a chance to prove me wrong.

I'd be interested to see what Mac can do with Blackman, should he return any time soon..

What intrigues me more is that since Martin's departure, all of the 'wingers', bar Ince, have struggled to gain any sort of form. Russell, Weimann, Anya, Camara - although admittedly, we haven't seen much of the latter two alongside him. 

Just goes to show what a poor bit of business that really was.

8 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Is someone reading all of this? First wheele man then wieman

Sound like it yeah hahaha. All I know is Mel is reading this forum though. 

4 hours ago, rammieib said:

My point is that if you write him off before giving him a chance that's unfair. I disagreed with the signing but I will give him a chance to prove me wrong.

I'm sure we'd all like him to be successful with us. However, the system that we try to play may not suit him, and as such may limit the opportunities he gets, and therefor we may not feel he will get a fair chance.

17 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Speaking of deadwood, what happened to James Wilson since his injury?

He went back to United for treatment, but he kept being mentioned in the injury reports as if he was still at Derby.

Have we cancelled the loan, or what?

We cancelled the loan I think. 

5 hours ago, rammieib said:

well the pot really does call the kettle black

Cough *vydra*

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

My apologies. I'm a slow reader, only saw your other post after I posted the comment.

Take my advice check all the post before you submit reply. :thumbsup::lol: Apologies accepted anyway. 

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Deadwood: Weimann, Blackman

Players not suited to our style: Anya, Vydra, Bent, Nugent

Players not good enough: Camara, Hanson, 

Older players we should move on: Baird, Shackell, 

Squad players, not quite top six first-teamers so open to sell: Bryson, Olsson

Players we could improve on in respective positions: Bradley Johnson, Jacob Butterfield, Johnny Russell, Cyrus Christie

The only players I feel comfortable are good enough for what we want to achieve in this league: Carson, Forsyth, Keogh, Pearce, Thorne, Hughes, Ince and Martin (also happy with Lowe, though Forsyth is ahead of him).

I'm with you almost completely here other than about Nugent. Whilst I'm not saying your view is entirely unwarranted, I do believe there is a reasonable chance of Nugent adapting to the role and performing for us. He's an intelligent player, technically good, has a bit of physicality to him and tends to create a good number of goals for players around him. He's done alright when played upfront on his own and when played as part of two tends to operate as more of the link man (think of his partnership with Vardy at Leicester). Unlike other players we've tried there, I think there is a better chance of him fulfilling the role we need.

Smac must be a miracle worker to get us where we are as we only have about 5 decent players and the rest are either too old, too young, not good enough, good but don't fit our system, too inconsistent or simply crap.

1 hour ago, KBB said:

Smac must be a miracle worker to get us where we are as we only have about 5 decent players and the rest are either too old, too young, not good enough, good but don't fit our system, too inconsistent or simply crap.

He has performed a minor miralce to get us within five points of the playoffs considering the position in which he took over.

Aside from Wolves first half, Forest and Rotherham at home, we've struggled to outplay any of our opposition yet have found ourselves winning nine of his 15 matches in charge.

Archived