Recent performances

Boycie

Could the recent mini blip in performance be in anyway related to the fact that the manager is openly stating that he would like some new players?

i guess this can work both ways with players, I wonder if it's not having the desired effect?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more due to teams remembering attacking Derby doesn't work. Sit back and counter is the way to play against Derby. Seeing the 1st lot of games under McLaren no one set out this way. Now we're going back to the past when McLaren 1st struggled when teams set out this way.

Makes boring football for us!

I agree Boycie, as it seemed to happen last year in the January transfer window with Blackman and Camara coming in despite the club saying no new faces were needed and we went downhill from there. May be a coincidence.

I've been to the Fulham away games the last 3 seasons this time of year and it always seems to be from there we struggle for the rest of the season!

5 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

Recent blip is due to a mixture of a lot of games in a very short space of time, no appropriate centre forward leading to a sedentary midfield and a bucket load of injuries 

Same for every team mind you? But saying that, a few at the top have had against form results I guess.

I don't think our performances have changed much. Fulham away is the game everyone struggles to get the ball off them and most teams get pushed back there.

Is there a massive difference between Leeds (h), Sheff Wed (h) and Norwich (h)

Between Wigan (a) and QPR (a) 

Between Fulham (a) and Norwich (a)? 

In a lot of Mac interviews he's spoken a lot about working on shape and now he wants us to control possession more. 

Think through most our games we've kept our opponents at range, hit them with counters but not really been all over them. A couple of teams have tried sitting back on us and we aren't that good yet to really trouble them massively. 

We were dominant at Wolves for the first half but then in the second we spent a long time getting in shape, absorbing pressure and then countering. 

Been a bit disappointed that when we get in the final third that we are still quite cautious. Hughes and Butterfield both still play behind Bent/Vydra. Bent/Vydra stand ready, Russell seems confused about what to do. 

First we really need that option to play into a striker that wants it to feet rather than into empty pitch. Then somebody is going to have to go beyond that striker and make us less predictable. 

At the minute it's basically all in front of the opponent. Nothing to make them look over their shoulders. No decisions are forced upon the CB's. 

This isn't a call for Chris Martin but we are desperate for that type of forward. One that isn't such a predator and will manoeuvre the opponent. And we need Butters, Hughes and Russell to break rank a bit. Go get some glory. Like Ince.

Don't just stick Bent or Vydra at the pointy end and keep thrusting. 

I hope Mac is happy with the way we defend and is now hard at work on making 4 of the front 5 less rigid

31 minutes ago, Alpha said:

In a lot of Mac interviews he's spoken a lot about working on shape and now he wants us to control possession more. 

He's also said more than once, when asked, how surprised he is at how well we're doing. He's not the only one! So when we have a blip, given limited squad, injuries, number of games, etc then that shouldn't be a surprise either!

Carson

Christie Keogh Pearce Forsyth 

Thorne

Bryson.      Hughes 

Ince.          Martin.          Russell 

subs Shackell Mitchell Baird Johnson Vydra Anya Butterfield 

that is probably why we do not look overly creative currently, we own them all but can't get them on the football pitch but that is a strong and entertaining  match day squad 

3 hours ago, Boycie said:

Could the recent mini blip in performance be in anyway related to the fact that the manager is openly stating that he would like some new players?

i guess this can work both ways with players, I wonder if it's not having the desired effect?

If so, I think we need new manager, like Pearson, who'll show them who's the boss. About time to attack against player power and let them be out of comfort zone for a while.

Bunch of overpaid whining pussies all of them.

Or could there be another reason?

10 hours ago, David said:

Load of cobblers @Boycie

Telling me players at every club don't expect new signings to be made in January? Or that ours are too sensitive like a gluten intolerant bowel when it comes to new arrivals?

I noted who liked this post, and I've made the  note in my little black book init!?

Just now, Abu Derby said:

I do hope I am not alone in your little black book. I wouldn't want my name to be mentioned in dispatches (except maybe at the next breakfast meeting). 

No,no, you liked my post, maybe in sympathy, but it's one in the eye for @sage ?

Archived