32 years old, £71.6m fee, £615k per week wages

Day

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is simply how a fledgling league must build it's reputation, throw big sums of money at waning stars. I don't remember too many people in this country complaining when players like Bergkamp and Zola were tempted over here with big salaries in the mid 90's.

He was, in the same summer Collymore went to Liverpool for a million more than Bergkamp. Not even in the same league as this deal.

Tevez turns 33 in February as well. Now the 5th most expensive transfer fee ever paid for a player that will likely retire within a year. 

Ronaldo is on a reported £288k pw, Messi £275k......Tevez will net a better weekly wage than the best 2 players in the world combined.

2 hours ago, David said:

No but I expect the MLS must be concerned by China's willingness to throw silly money at aging stars.

It might help them move to the next stage.

Also if I were a super rich multi millionaire footballer with a young family and got offered £100k a week to play in Miami, Orlando, Portland or New York for two years or £600k a week to play in China I'd go US all day long.

2 minutes ago, Bridgford Ram said:

It might help them move to the next stage.

Also if I were a super rich multi millionaire footballer with a young family and got offered £100k a week to play in Miami, Orlando, Portland or New York for two years or £600k a week to play in China I'd go US all day long.

I'd go to China once I came back round again after fainting in shock at the ludicrous amount of money they wanted to pay, don't blame Tevez at all for going, would be a fool to turn that kind of money down.

They would probably be better off investing in youth football over there. The country has huge potential obviously, a decent TV deal and increasing attendances, so maybe it's here to stay.  They would get plenty of ageing stars to boost it's profile, for a quarter of the money they are throwing at them now. Still I see no reason to watch it yet. 

2 hours ago, David said:

I'd go to China once I came back round again after fainting in shock at the ludicrous amount of money they wanted to pay, don't blame Tevez at all for going, would be a fool to turn that kind of money down.

Would you be going on a slow boat? 

Presume that in five or ten years time, this deal will look like peanuts. 

Personally, I think once I was on anything above 20k a week, then no amount of money would tempt me to move. 

6 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Would you be going on a slow boat? 

Presume that in five or ten years time, this deal will look like peanuts. 

Personally, I think once I was on anything above 20k a week, then no amount of money would tempt me to move. 

Road trip! 

Think we would all sit here and say we'd be happy with X amount and wouldn't be tempted by more money, with wads of cash wafted in your face it's got to be hard to resist. 

Even if I could fly I wouldn't be tempted to go over to China even for a holiday, Asia doesn't interest me in the slightest, pay me 600k a week to move there and play football when's the next flight?

There was an interview on Jim Whites TalkSport show recently where the guy (whose name escapes me - ex-player) was basically insinuating that in China, the law of contract and employment is so weak that clubs can sign these contracts and basically alter them after the event so that the players never see the money apparently promised.

There is then no central scheme such as in the UK to enforce payment and their only recourse is through the chinese courts who seem to side with whatever version of events the club comes up with.

extraordinary if true but basically suggests there is a material non-zero probability that Tevez will not see anything like 600k per week.

1 hour ago, HantsRam said:

There was an interview on Jim Whites TalkSport show recently where the guy (whose name escapes me - ex-player) was basically insinuating that in China, the law of contract and employment is so weak that clubs can sign these contracts and basically alter them after the event so that the players never see the money apparently promised.

There is then no central scheme such as in the UK to enforce payment and their only recourse is through the chinese courts who seem to side with whatever version of events the club comes up with.

extraordinary if true but basically suggests there is a material non-zero probability that Tevez will not see anything like 600k per week.

This wouldn't surprise me. You only have to look at Chinese companies flagrantly flouting rules of business on foreign stock exchanges, let alone their own.

However, I'm sure if it happens to Tevez he'll no doubt be gutted to get back on a plane to the states and earn a quarter of that.

I'd be surprised if the real high profile players suffered contract abuse the next few years, as it would be a bad advert for others following; tempted to say football authorities wouldn't allow it either but with FIFA! Hmm, then again.

On 12/29/2016 at 14:33, Highgate said:

They would probably be better off investing in youth football over there. The country has huge potential obviously, a decent TV deal and increasing attendances, so maybe it's here to stay.  They would get plenty of ageing stars to boost it's profile, for a quarter of the money they are throwing at them now. Still I see no reason to watch it yet. 

They can only play 4 international players at any one time, so most of the team will be Chinese. Their President is a big football fan apparently and is keen to develop homegrown players, so I assume they are investing heavily in youth as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if they won the world cup before us again or even the US.

8 hours ago, GenBr said:

They can only play 4 international players at any one time, so most of the team will be Chinese. Their President is a big football fan apparently and is keen to develop homegrown players, so I assume they are investing heavily in youth as well.

Wouldn't be surprised if they won the world cup before us again or even the US.

That's a good point, but you would still have to wonder about what proportion of the money being spent on football in China...goes to teams outside the Super League.  Will football in China benefit as a result of a few teams massive wealth, or would a more even spread of the resources throughout the country be a better way to promote the game there? 

Massive potential in the country obviously, let's see if their league is in it for the long-term. What will happen if a new leader, who has little or no interest in football, succeeds their current president. If the league does survive and prosper then we in Europe might have to get used to the fact that the European Leagues won't automatically attract all the best players in world.

If they were to host or win the World Cup, seeing as something like football was played in China more than 2 thousand years ago, they could legitimately claim that finally football really has 'come home'.

Archived