Blackman & Anya back in training

Day

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, jono said:

Blackman is taller than Vydra .. After that we are on a different planet. Vydra is way stronger, has a better touch, moves better, faster acceleration. I hope Blackman finds some form for us and redeems himself but bar a couple of flicks and 2 speculative shots on the run he hasn't demonstrated anything for me that would make him a must have striker for a top 10 side. Lacks power and lacks a touch ( gambled flicks don't equate to touch in my book) 

Have to disagree with you there, I know it's early days but I've seen more from Blackman to suggest he can be a better player than Vydra in the lone-striker role.

Vydra has none of the physical attributes required for that role, whereas I think Blackman could do well. He's tall, strong, fast (faster than Vydra!) and has a decent first touch on him. I'm willing to forigve his past transgressions (ie. shooting from too far out) and see how McClaren does with him.

3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

I am glad the options back nearly, anya well I haven't seen anything from him that constitutes precision but a good squad member yes. On Blackman we have seen nothing yet to make you think he is a good forward or team player so what can maclaren get out of him is anybody's guess but he can't get anymore disappointing than he has been can he?

Me too in terms of options. I would also like any player in a Rams shirt to be able to perform for us. 

Its Christmas and my posts have been a bit hurried. I meant by precision (from Anya)  that his close control and touch were good (better than Johnny) and under Pearson when we looked toothless I think he was the one little glimmer of liveliness. Not sure he has a killer shot on him but I think he has something to offer .... Consider this in our current set up 

we have JR, Weiman, and Camara all able to play on the left and do a job. I would be happy seeing any of them in the starting line up but we seem to have a dearth of options on the right so having Anya gives us some back up for Tom the boy wonder. 

5 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

Have to disagree with you there, I know it's early days but I've seen more from Blackman to suggest he can be a better player than Vydra in the lone-striker role.

Vydra has none of the physical attributes required for that role, whereas I think Blackman could do well. He's tall, strong, fast (faster than Vydra!) and has a decent first touch on him. I'm willing to forigve his past transgressions (ie. shooting from too far out) and see how McClaren does with him.

Perceptions are interesting .. I don't know who would win a 50 metre sprint between Vydra and Blackman but I'd bet a pint and a nip ... that over 10/15 yards Vydra would be quicker and easily so. For me, absolutely nothing in Blackman indicates physical presence. In fact I have been surprised how easily he got knocked off the ball or had it nicked off his toes. In his defence I'd say we probably haven't seen what he has to offer when he is buzzing, I also think he may have that ability to peel away from a defender and leave them flat/wrong footed and he does have a good shot. I hope he comes good but Inhave serious doubts. But your point about "in a lone striker role" is part of the overall equation I suppose. Time will tell.  

One thing for sure .. I have learned only recently how much form and confidence can affect players. We all know it and hear it from the mouths of players and managers but the transformation a bit of self belief can bring is remarkable. The Mac1/clement/Wassall/Pearson//Mac2 saga over 2-1/2 years really hit it home for me ....Maybe that is the mark of a great player .. The one who on his worst day can still manage a 7/10 ? 

3 hours ago, Anag Ram said:

What Blackman does offer is the chance of a goal from outside the area.

I'm not sure he can play the wide man in a three man attack. He's too awkward as a winger and he can't tackle back.

Possible impact sub.

Agree with second paragraph but disagree with the first.

Blackman has shown he doesn't offer that. Most wasteful wayward longer range shooting I've seen from one player in forever. That says he's got a deft touch (sorry @Jono) and he strikes me as having great potential as THE centre forward. He can leap like bent hold the ball up but he has better feet and good acceleration. He's got the tools in other words, and I'd fancy him as a close range poacher. Needs a run out there.

1 minute ago, jono said:

Perceptions are interesting .. I don't know who would win a 50 metre sprint between Vydra and Blackman but I'd bet a pint and a nip ... that over 10/15 yards Vydra would be quicker and easily so. For me, absolutely nothing in Blackman indicates physical presence. In fact I have been surprised how easily he got knocked off the ball or had it nicked off his toes. In his defence I'd say we probably haven't seen what he has to offer when he is buzzing, I also think he may have that ability to peel away from a defender and leave them flat/wrong footed and he does have a good shot. I hope he comes good but Inhave serious doubts. But your point about "in a lone striker role" is part of the overall equation I suppose. Time will tell.  

One thing for sure .. I have learned only recently how much form and confidence can affect players. We all know it and hear it from the mouths of players and managers but the transformation a bit of self belief can bring is remarkable. The Mac1/clement/Wassall/Pearson//Mac2 saga over 2-1/2 years really hit it home for me ....Maybe that is the mark of a great player .. The one who on his worst day can still manage a 7/10 ? 

No one is faster than Vydra otherwise agree with Podgey but this post Jono is scarily accurate on Blackman. Niceley done! Blackman has clearly got the tools (he does get pushed about you're right) but he just needs confidence and a run out in the centre position not out wide which for some odd reason he was played over and over from the day he arrived.

No need to apologise @Ninos... I have a view but am prepared to have it changed by evidence on the pitch. I am not a Blackman enthusiast but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want to see him blossoming under Mac. He did hold down a place in a mid ranked champ side and did score goals freely. There is nothing to say he couldn't do it again. He was lousy at left wing though ! 

10 hours ago, Bridgford Ram said:

If he is good enough to get Blackman scoring goals he should be England manager again.

I dont know, if he manages that i'd be tempted to have a check to see if he can turn water in to wine.

Archived