Derby v Liverpool May 1972

North East Ram

There's plenty of footage of Derby in the 70s but has anyone got anything from our last game v Liverpool where we win 1-0. You know the rest of the story.

This quiz got me thinking as that match is mentioned. However, as its Christmas, I'm not saying where though :)

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2016/dec/19/football-stadiums-then-and-now-interactive-quiz-part-four

Failing that, if you were there (or listened in etc), tell us your story. Did you REALLY think we'd win the league with all odds against us?!

i think I would've had a heart attack listening to the matches afterwards for Leeds and Liverpool. 

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went to this game. Not sure I've seen this footage though. Was in the Pop Side Vulcan Street and for a while got stuck in the "trench". Fans of a certain age will understand. It was very, very packed that night and although it put us top, I still thought the Dirties would overhaul us as they had what looked like a very winnable game at Wolves. Great days.

1 hour ago, Eatonram said:

Went to this game. Not sure I've seen this footage though. Was in the Pop Side Vulcan Street and for a while got stuck in the "trench". Fans of a certain age will understand. It was very, very packed that night and although it put us top, I still thought the Dirties would overhaul us as they had what looked like a very winnable game at Wolves. Great days.

Good on wolves for going for it. Not sure all today's Prem teams would be that bothered. Was there more professional pride back then? I heard a rumour that Dirty don tried to bribe some Wolves players and the ref to make sure Leeds won. They're not called dirty for nothing.

2 hours ago, Eatonram said:

Had a season ticket for 16 years. About 10 of those I spent 1 step down from the trench, about 6ft from the cut down.

I was in the ossie end middle tier wot a night for a twelve year old as i

was then , they say there were 38000 inside and the same outside 

the streets were packed  wot a night to remember with many  more to

come over the next few years I think I was they envy of many blues

and reds fans at my school

they were the days !!!  

I was in the ossie end behind the goal to witness Mc Govern's goal , what an atmosphere . Also remember listening to the Dirties playing Wolves on the radio with my Dad , as previously mentioned it was rumoured Leeds had tried bribe to the Wolves lads and that had got their backs up. Boy did they react !  What a nail biter that was ! ......I feel sorry for todays supporters , we really saw some great football back then and I feel privileged to have been there to witness it...........as said previously,  those were the days !

1 hour ago, Wignall12 said:

I was in the ossie end behind the goal to witness Mc Govern's goal , what an atmosphere . Also remember listening to the Dirties playing Wolves on the radio with my Dad , as previously mentioned it was rumoured Leeds had tried bribe to the Wolves lads and that had got their backs up. Boy did they react !  What a nail biter that was ! ......I feel sorry for todays supporters , we really saw some great football back then and I feel privileged to have been there to witness it...........as said previously,  those were the days !

I've talked to my dad about the Leeds v wolves and the Arsenal v Liverpool games - amazing when you think about it. Just listening to a crackling BBC broadcast with no tv footage and chewing your fingernails down to the bone, hoping the Rams can achieve the unthinkable. And then actually doing it!

I was a wreck v West Brom at Wembley and had to rely on ceefax for the Palace game in 96 so this must have been mental torture. 

For those who have it, there's a great recollection on the Derby County Story tapes that were released in 85 ish. Real boys own radio under the duvet stuff.

I've had some great times from 84 onwards but even though I wasn't there, I get goosebumps watching that footage. 

I went to most of the home games that season, in my regular spot down the front behind Ossie End goal, but missed this one because..the bloke who used to take me, my old man's best mate, had a sodding darts match!

Having lost the previous game 2-0 at Manchester City (I was at the reserves game that afternoon, along with 7,000 others all glued to their transistor radios!) I remember most Derby fans thought we had already blown the title by the time we played Liverpool.

Even when we won and went top it still seemed like a long shot..the rest as they say is history, although it seemed more like a miracle when Leeds and Liverpool failed to win their game in hand.

1 hour ago, DerbyMark said:

I went to most of the home games that season, in my regular spot down the front behind Ossie End goal, but missed this one because..the bloke who used to take me, my old man's best mate, had a sodding darts match!

Having lost the previous game 2-0 at Manchester City (I was at the reserves game that afternoon, along with 7,000 others all glued to their transistor radios!) I remember most Derby fans thought we had already blown the title by the time we played Liverpool.

Even when we won and went top it still seemed like a long shot..the rest as they say is history, although it seemed more like a miracle when Leeds and Liverpool failed to win their game in hand.

Must have been some darts match!

Watched the game with my dad in the Ossie end upper where we had season tickets, I was 14. I have more vivid memories of the Wolves v Leeds game where me and a few mates listed to the commentary at a mates house. I think commentaries were on Radio 2 long wave at that time and reception oscillated from very quiet to very loud over about a 10 second cycle and made it sound like Molyneux was on the moon. The game finished about 21:30 and we did a victory ride around Alvaston on our push bikes.

I also remember going to the Baseball Ground the following Sunday morning when the trophy was presented and paraded around. I think the Clough/Taylor statue is based on a photo from that morning.

Yeah I remember that Sunday morning, team were straight off the plane from Majorca if memory serves, parading the league trophy round the good old BBG.

One thing that sticks vividly in my mind was Cloughie grabbing the trophy and running with it over to an ecstatic Pop Side.

Wonderful days.

On 19/12/2016 at 21:02, Spanish said:

I was in the normanton end with my dad, seem to recall we had just won the central league title the night before

I was in the Normanton end too, right behind the goal. In my mind, I can still see McGovern's shot leaving Lawrence clutching at the air, and can hear the ball hitting the back of the net (an achievement now because I am deaf) - and contrast that with the momentary silence before the entire ground erupted.

The best memory of my life.

Archived