What is it about Leeds?

Sith Happens

On Tv loads at the moment, and even when they arent there games are often televised abroad meaning they are the feature game on channel 5's highlights program. In fact a couple of seasons ago EVERY single game of leeds was televised somewhere abroad.

Are they really that big a club? Its been like years since they were any good. They dont even fill out their stadium, probably close on half full for most games.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what it is about them either.

It used to be because they had a big fanbase and then everyone hated them so whether you were tuning in to watch them smash or get smashed you were still tuning in.

But now I don't really think that many care about Leeds enough to hate them?

They used to be everyone's 2nd or 3rd rival. But they've been too ***** for too long.

I hate Brum and Villa more now. Especially Brum. 

Sky will have the TV viewing figures, Leeds must put bums on seats. Simple as that.

How many Derby fans tune in if Forest are on the telebox compared to say Rotherham, Leeds have a few rivals that will enjoy watching them lose

49 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Not sure what it is about them either.

It used to be because they had a big fanbase and then everyone hated them so whether you were tuning in to watch them smash or get smashed you were still tuning in.

But now I don't really think that many care about Leeds enough to hate them?

They used to be everyone's 2nd or 3rd rival. But they've been too ***** for too long.

I hate Brum and Villa more now. Especially Brum. 

I do, and so does Utch.

54 minutes ago, David said:

Sky will have the TV viewing figures, Leeds must put bums on seats. Simple as that.

How many Derby fans tune in if Forest are on the telebox compared to say Rotherham, Leeds have a few rivals that will enjoy watching them lose

Yeah thats a good point, i wouldnt look at a game and think its leeds i must watch, i'd rather watch burton and newcastle today to be honest. Shame leeds dont put as many bums on seats in their own stadium mind.

The two teams we've often seen more than others on TV are QPR and Leeds. The reason is simple.

QPR - detestable South England club, hated by everyone south of Birmingham.

Leeds - detestable North England club, hated by everyone north of Birmingham. 

to offer some balance. Anywhere I've ever been either working or on holiday, there's ALWAYS been both a resident Geordie and a resident Dirty Leeds fan. They get everywhere and you'd expect there to be none left in Newcastle or Leeds as they've all moved away!

I guess Leeds is the biggest single club city in England, so they probably got loads of half fans who have moved away/don't go to games as the prices are so high. Probably got a reasonable proportion of fans not from Leeds thanks to their 'glory' days.

I'm sure Now TV is driving match selection now. It's tricky thing for sky to know exactly the impact on contracts of who plays live and how many times. They know immediately how much extra revenue they generate when Leeds are on the box thru Now TV.

Leeds is a big, big, city, far bigger than us or Forest , with a fanbase to match, which extends all over the West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire regions, a hugely populace area. Loads of Leeds fans live in Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax and support them in preference to their local clubs (understandable given the history)

Like us and Forest,  they have a 60s/70s/80s tradition that lives long with their supporters.

They have been very badly run for a long time, leading to many fans understandably not attending until things change for the better

They are a huge club in theory and really should, on that basis, be able to hold their own in the Premier.

Pretty sure that there's a coach that goes to every Leeds game from the Derby/Notts area. Can we say the reverse of that ?

Don't get me wrong. I lived In Leeds for many years and would never swap them for Rams. Elland Road is a horrible place full of (largely) horrible people. 

But Big Club ? Yes, they are (unfortunately) 

On 17/12/2016 at 11:11, Tombo said:

The two teams we've often seen more than others on TV are QPR and Leeds. The reason is simple.

I didn't know that about QPR.

I think you'll find that everyone hates Leeds,probably worldwide I would think.

On 17 December 2016 at 11:11, Tombo said:

Leeds yes but QPR? After leaving Derby I worked for some years in Brum and then onto London where I am now and never in all my 70 years have I heard that they are a hated club. 

On 18/12/2016 at 16:02, BobbyD said:

Leeds is a big, big, city, far bigger than us or Forest , with a fanbase to match, which extends all over the West Yorkshire and North Yorkshire regions, a hugely populace area. Loads of Leeds fans live in Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax and support them in preference to their local clubs (understandable given the history)

Like us and Forest,  they have a 60s/70s/80s tradition that lives long with their supporters.

They have been very badly run for a long time, leading to many fans understandably not attending until things change for the better

They are a huge club in theory and really should, on that basis, be able to hold their own in the Premier.

Pretty sure that there's a coach that goes to every Leeds game from the Derby/Notts area. Can we say the reverse of that ?

Don't get me wrong. I lived In Leeds for many years and would never swap them for Rams. Elland Road is a horrible place full of (largely) horrible people. 

But Big Club ? Yes, they are (unfortunately) 

So in summary, and based on Leeds attendance's, Leeds have loads of glory hunters.

So are they just tight Yorkshiremen who won't pay good money to watch their team? If they have so many fans why don't they get better attendances at home? Leeds is big city but it's not the only city in Yorkshire. Derby is the only city in derbyshire so we have a catchment area of over 1 million. We are Derby county after all. 

Leeds are one of the biggest clubs in England in terms of domestic fanbase. They may not fill out their stadium all too often, but they have a massive following for a Championship club within England.

At HITC they started to focus more on the domestic following (largely because of the on-site adverts were aimed at UK-based customers) and Leeds were one of the clubs with highest percentage of UK-based fans.

Leeds, Spurs, Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa were the top five in terms of England-based fans ratio compared to overall support while Celtic and Rangers are also up there in tems of UK..

No doubt United, Arsenal and Liverpool have bigger fanbases, but a higher percentage of theirs come from abroad.

In the Championship we found that Wolves, QPR, Sheff Wed and Forest drew higher numbers than Derby. Derby obviously get higher attendances and that's admirable, but that doesn't mean they have the most supporters.

6 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Leeds are one of the biggest clubs in England in terms of domestic fanbase. They may not fill out their stadium all too often, but they have a massive following for a Championship club within England.

At HITC they started to focus more on the domestic following (largely because of the on-site adverts were aimed at UK-based customers) and Leeds were one of the clubs with highest percentage of UK-based fans.

Leeds, Spurs, Newcastle, Sunderland and Villa were the top five in terms of England-based fans ratio compared to overall support while Celtic and Rangers are also up there in tems of UK..

No doubt United, Arsenal and Liverpool have bigger fanbases, but a higher percentage of theirs come from abroad.

In the Championship we found that Wolves, QPR, Sheff Wed and Forest drew higher numbers than Derby. Derby obviously get higher attendances and that's admirable, but that doesn't mean they have the most supporters.

They drew higher numbers to what ? If they don't go to the football matches then how exactly are they fans? And where do these stats come from? There are clearly loads of plastic United, Liverpool and arsenal " fans" Here in the UK , not just abroad. 

Archived