Baird Is Undroppable

Todd Is God

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Todd Is God said:

Better defender than Cyrus - key to our defensive improvement since he actually stops crosses coming in. This is a big thing in a full back. More important than jinking runs and iffy crosses. He's starting to look like a version of Denis Irwin.

Oy, keep manure off this forum!

He's had some decent performances and one or two spectacular ones. Against forest he was majestic.

If Christie comes back soon he'll need to wait his turn as Baird has for the best part of 2 years. One of the many things I like about our current set up is that if you're playing well you'll keep your place. Everyone is in there on merit. 

10 minutes ago, Todd Is God said:

Better defender than Cyrus - key to our defensive improvement since he actually stops crosses coming in. This is a big thing in a full back. More important than jinking runs and iffy crosses. He's starting to look like a version of Denis Irwin.

No. He's not a better defender than Cyrus. What's all this sudden Cyrus bashing all about? Baird is undroppable now yes and has had strong games yes especially the last one, but confident Cyrus on form is way way way better. Cyrus has all the tools, and that one home game v Sheff Wed was the best performance I've seen from a Derby defender in many a year. 

10 minutes ago, Todd Is God said:

Not bashing Cyrus - my point is that a solid defender is better than a suspect defender who is decent going forward. Or something.

Decent? suspect ? That's not bashing ? He's far better than decent and suspect. And he's a damn solid defender too. Contrast that with an equally good but slower defender who basically doesn't have the attacking tools to maraud forward. You sound like you want us to be a Burnley rather than a Liverpool.

Maybe.  Nothing wrong with Burnley. Or clean sheets - which we get with Baird in the team but rarely get with Cyrus  - who tends to get out of position on occasions and doesn't always bust a gut to stop a cross coming in. How many goals have we conceded since Cyrus got injured?

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Decent? suspect ? That's not bashing ? He's far better than decent and suspect. And he's a damn solid defender too. Contrast that with an equally good but slower defender who basically doesn't have the attacking tools to maraud forward. You sound like you want us to be a Burnley rather than a Liverpool.

Baird is quite a bit better defensively, particularly when it comes to his anticipation of the game and his positioning. I do think Christie is ok defensively but it's mostly because of his physical attributes compensating for his 'technical defending' and he does have a tendency to 'switch off'. Plus Baird's distribution is better.

However there has been times in games recently we have missed Christie's ability to carry the ball and be an attacking threat out-wide. It's usually been when the opposition has managed to shut us down going through the middle that we've needed what Christie gives to help unlock the opposition.

Personally, I think we need to find a player who is going to be an improvement on both. Baird with more Pace and dribbling ability or Christie with better Positioning and distribution. 

6 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Baird is quite a bit better defensively, particularly when it comes to his anticipation of the game and his positioning. I do think Christie is ok defensively but it's mostly because of his physical attributes compensating for his 'technical defending' and he does have a tendency to 'switch off'. Plus Baird's distribution is better.

However there has been times in games recently we have missed Christie's ability to carry the ball and be an attacking threat out-wide. It's usually been when the opposition has managed to shut us down going through the middle that we've needed what Christie gives to help unlock the opposition.

Personally, I think we need to find a player who is going to be an improvement on both. Baird with more Pace and dribbling ability or Christie with better Positioning and distribution. 

Ideally but at this level - the championship - Christie is about the best you could hope for and Baird about the best backup. A Hector Bellerin we definitely won't attract.

I think our strong interest in the attacking fullback fella at hearts confirms that the club is thinking the same sort of thing though 

In defence of Christie,let's remember the team's first half performance against wolves when he was on the pitch, nothing has come close to it since, it was like the old days of Mac 1.

We're more solid with Baird, but when we have 2 marauding full backs and 2 wingers flying, wet can be scary going forward. 

Cyrus lacks a little discipline at times and that's something that hopefully comes with good coaching and experience ,, Baird is far more experienced in terms of knowing when to sit in ( legs and pace dictate to a degree) they are both decent players at this level but bring different things to the side ,, with Cyrus out we can lack a little width at times but as stated he can also crowd ince at times too whilst requiring ince to be far more cautious in terms of needing to cover his full back ,, the key is the team adjusting to whichever one of our rightbacks is in the team and they are doing that very well at the moment and I like that as it shows signs we may now have the depth and variety to implement a plan b in the way we could nt under Mac 1 

Cyrus is most certainly the better more skilled player of the two. That's not to say Baird plays second fiddle to him though. It's pretty clear (even ince suggested it) that Baird is the better full back if we want to get the most out of ince at RW. The only way ince and christie would work well would be if they could have the same kind of play as we saw between coutts and brayford a few moons back

Like like young Cyrus and what he brings to the team but Baird is certainly proving a lot of people wrong. I'd argue that it makes us better going forward with Baird in the team and helps Ince a lot as Christie doesn't release the ball early like Baird does. Baird is also a fair bit better defensively, Christie relies on his physical attributes to get him out of trouble whereas Baird uses his brain a lot more as he isn't as gifted physically as Christie. Christie will have a fight to get back into the team as will Thorne to try and displace Johnson.

I think the very fact few of us would drop baird for christie shows that christie, while ok, is not that good. Yes he has done an ok job for us, especially for the bargain he was, but i think the answer at right back lies somewhere else. His form is very inconsistent.

Baird has done a good job too...but he isnt the future by any means, if the right option became available (whatever it is) in january for a decent right back we should go out and buy him.

Archived