Bogey teams

admira

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Stats might prove me wrong but Everton sticks in my mind, especially at Goodison.

Rochdale, been bloody years since we beat them.. In fact have we ever played them?

Remember the Wanchope finish to the move that started with a throw in near the half way line? Not one Everton player touched the ball before it went in the net to an avalanche of bananas from the 'educated' scousers. If a top 6 premiership team had scored that, they'd be showing it twice on MotD even today!

13 minutes ago, WharfedaleRam said:

Remember the Wanchope finish to the move that started with a throw in near the half way line? Not one Everton player touched the ball before it went in the net to an avalanche of bananas from the 'educated' scousers. If a top 6 premiership team had scored that, they'd be showing it twice on MotD even today!

A great goal. And yes, the vitriol pouring out that terrace at Goodison is hilarious. What a bunch of knuckle draggers. It's been like that for years. Watch any away team score at that end and the amount over angry V signs, winker signs and sweary radgeness always makes me smile - not because it's funny but because those wallys have to live with that in their tiny brains. Don't get me wrong, it's not just Everton but they always get so very upset. It's that type of fan behaviour that is even funnier when the goalscorer 'reraliates' with a smile, a cupped ear or better still, a nice little V sign of his own. 

At least at Derby we save it for own players!

1 hour ago, angieram said:

There's no wonder Sheffield Wednesday don't like us! 

All the more amazing when you think that 5-2 win under Jimbo in the late 90's at Hillsboro, was the first win there for 40 odd years I believe. Never seem to remember beating Leeds which is another where we have turned it around and been dominant. Coventry another that was slim pickings.

Which just proves records are there to be broken.

14 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

ipswich burnley leicester.

Likewise we are Sheff Weds bogey team, I dare you to find the last time they beat us.

We were also leeds' bogey team until they recently beat us twice. But didnt we beat them 8 times in a row throughout the nigel clough years?

The fact that we have enjoyed a few years of success against the Wendies just proves the old "What goes around comes around" adage. When we won 5-2 at Hillsbrough in 1997, it was our first win there for 61 years. In the current sequence, the last time we lost to them was in 2006.

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Stats might prove me wrong but Everton sticks in my mind, especially at Goodison.

Rochdale, been bloody years since we beat them.. In fact have we ever played them?

We played Rochdale in Div 3 North in 1955-56 and 1956-57.

Strangely enough, all 4 games were played in the space of 8 calendar months in 1956 (a 5-0 defeat in January wasn't a good start). The other 3 were all wins for The Rams.

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

The fact that we have enjoyed a few years of success against the Wendies just proves the old "What goes around comes around" adage. When we won 5-2 at Hillsbrough in 1997, it was our first win there for 61 years. In the current sequence, the last time we lost to them was in 2006.

61 years! I grew up with that Hillsborough hoodoo as dad and older Rams always hated going there. Remember those great cup games of the 80s and 90s where we were so close to a win at the BBG and it always felt inevitable we'd lose the replay.

And then there's the semi final in 76. I think that's why my old man particularly disliked going. And yet every year we went! Just in case.

Funnily enough, across the city at Bramhall Lane I've seen us win every time including 2 of the greatest away followings in our history I would imagine.

1986 - Hindmarch

1887 - Gee 

For totally different reasons, 2 of the best 1-0s. 86 was a big sign that we were on our way back. 87 and we were back (if not mathematically) and everyone knew it.

Before the days of the tinternet etc, both these games drew Rams fans in their 1000s and 1000s. It was just a given that we were all going to Sheffield and boy did the team pay us back. Absolutely magic. And to be at a proper ground in a big game where we outnumbered the home fans was spectacular.

18000 attendance in 1987 and at least 10000 Rams fans. It's the stuff that b4's dreams are made of.

34 minutes ago, eddie said:

Knew someone would know the exact dates, went to that one and remember it being a big deal as they were our bogey team for years, right eddie?

18 minutes ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

Funnily enough, across the city at Bramhall Lane I've seen us win every time including 2 of the greatest away followings in our history I would imagine.

1986 - Hindmarch

1887 - Gee 

For totally different reasons, 2 of the best 1-0s.......

Before the days of the tinternet etc, both these games drew Rams fans in their 1000s and 1000s. It was just a given that we were all going to Sheffield and boy did the team pay us back. Absolutely magic. And to be at a proper ground in a big game where we outnumbered the home fans was spectacular.

18000 attendance in 1987 and at least 10000 Rams fans. It's the stuff that b4's dreams are made of.

Oh yes, you're right, more special than Forest away at the time, just because of how many we took.

2 fantastic days out only likely to be repeated in a cup semi or Wembley appearance, still get goose bumps remembering the party that followed Gee slotting through Burridge I think, right in front of us.

12 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Knew someone would know the exact dates, went to that one and remember it being a big deal as they were our bogey team for years, right eddie?

The 1997 one or the previous win in 1936?

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Oh yes, you're right more special than Forest away at the time, just because of how many we took.

2 fantastic days out only likely to be repeated in a cup semi or Wembley appearance, still get goose bumps remembering the party that followed Gee slotting through Burridge I think, right in front of us.

Gee nutnegged Budgie and the party began. Cue VT...

In the entire league history .. Who have we beaten most and who have we lost to most. ? 

The provider of the information will get the Eggy B*****er award for statistics (name incomplete for legal reasons)

( Eggy was a lad who did the scoring for our cricket team at school.  A fastidious lad who knew that our opponents scorers often weren't that bothered or had attention that wandered .. So a lot of our 2's became 4's and a fair few wides and no balls got added and then he kindly offered to help our opponent update his score book. I imagine he had a career in banking and finance. 

7 hours ago, admira said:

It's ten long years today since we last beat that ugly local team of mine Ipswich Town at Pride Park.

Even in that game, it took a 90+ minute Lupoli winner for us to beat them 2-1.

Can anyone think of any other teams that we've not beaten for even longer?

Our line up that day for the record (which demonstrates quite how long ago it was).

Bywater
Edworthy
M Johnson
Bisgaard
Boertien
Leacock
S Johnson
Jones
Barnes
Howard
Stead

Subs:
Lupoli
D Moore

Must have enjoyed the 0-1 at Portmorgue recently though? Chrissy capitalising on a Tommy Smith howler? 

1 hour ago, Tim Bucktoo said:

61 years! I grew up with that Hillsborough hoodoo as dad and older Rams always hated going there. Remember those great cup games of the 80s and 90s where we were so close to a win at the BBG and it always felt inevitable we'd lose the replay.

And then there's the semi final in 76. I think that's why my old man particularly disliked going. And yet every year we went! Just in case.

1986 - Hindmarch

1887 - Gee 

For totally different reasons, 2 of the best 1-0s. 86 was a big sign that we were on our way back. 87 and we were back (if not mathematically) and everyone knew it.

Archived