Foreign managers are "sexy"

Sexydadbod

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, McLovin said:

There's a reason why these foreign managers are allowed to spend that much money, it's because they have proved themselves wherever they have been. Want to see an example of British managers when they have money to spend? Look at the crap that mosey spent at Man Utd and Rodgers at Liverpool 

Most money spent by managers over the last 10 years published in January 2016, I doubt Rodgers is even in the top 10 now. The reason these managers are "proven" is they are the same bunch that circle round the top clubs and given obscene money to spend on top of the squads they walk into.

Moyes one your examples was given 1 season and spent just £65m which is peanuts, it's not even half of what Guardiola has spent this summer

British managers are not given the chance to become proven as they don't get the same opportunities in this country. The foreign investors want a big name, sexy name, sells merchandise etc. Do football fans in the Middle East or Asia even know who Tony Pullis is? I bet they all know who Guardiola is.

Maybe not Pullis but I bet a bunch of British managers could have equalled a lot of these sexy names CV's given half a chance.

1 - Jose Mourinho – £619m

2 - Manuel Pellegrini – £597m

3 - Carlo Ancelotti – £466m

4 - Roberto Mancini – £441m

5 - Pep Guardiola – £382m

6 - Rafa Benitez – £376m

7 - Louis van Gaal – £337m

8 - Arsene Wenger – £333m

9 - Brendan Rodgers – £287m

10 - Sir Alex Ferguson – £281 m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3385270/Jose-Mourinho-biggest-spending-manager-world-football-past-10-years-makes-10.html

41 minutes ago, McLovin said:

I genuinely think that some British managers are scared and jealous of foreigners(coincidentally the ones making the noises are from the older generation) because people like Howe have embraced foreign influences(particularly on his own management style)Every British footballer and manager who have gone abroad say the experience has improved them(including mcclaren). Ironically these foreign managers and players are helping people like pulis earn more money. Want to see the impact of no quality foreign exports? Look no further than the spl. The prem would just be that league as people aren't interested in the premier league for the British players and managers believe it or not, they are interested in seeing the likes of Man City and Liverpool battle it out with klopp at and guardiola at the helm respectively. No-one abroad watches the premier league to watch West Brom survive every year.

I can't even remember if football even existed before 1992 did it?

It must have been a really unpopular sport back then...

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I agree in principle, but you could hardly have picked a worse example than Hasselbaink. Were do you expect new managers to start if the 4th tier isn't open to them? It's also hypocritical, considering that two of the three managers you give as examples of doing things the right way began their careers in the 4th and 3rd tier respectively with even less experience than Hasselbaink.

Agree. Perhaps Hasselbaink was a bad example, however he did get the QPR job off the back of only being at Burton for 5 minutes. Would QPR have considered Exeter boss Paul Tisdale for the vacant position? After all he has a much stronger managerial CV than Hasselbaink? I doubt they would.

You make some valid points though Anon but I still don't think lower league British managers get the credit or opportunities some clearly deserve at times. The reasons for this are many.

Teddy Sheringham is an example. He got the Stevenage job a few years back completely out of the blue despite having no experience. I'm sure he would have been competing for the position with other experienced out of work managers and also non league bosses looking for a football league job.

Yes everyone has to start somewhere but I'm sure the fact that he was Teddy Sheringham helped his cause. Maybe if Teddy had an impressive voluntary record of helping out and assisting non league clubs or even having lots of coaching badges to boast about then I could sort of understand him getting the job.

Take new Lincoln City manager Danny Cowley. P.E teacher, experience in training and coaching people of all ages. Spent years at Concord Rangers getting them promoted 3 times I think it was and leaving them to manage Braintree Town in the National League who he got to the play offs and now he is at Lincoln who are having their best season since dropping out of the football league.

Why does Cowley have to manage 3 clubs over 10 years, progressing each time and getting overlooked at bigger clubs (Uwe Rosler at Fleetwood - what's HE ever done?!) when Sheringham can just walk in and say 'where do ya want me guv?'.

At least Sheringham is British though so there is a positive there.

1 hour ago, David said:

Most money spent by managers over the last 10 years published in January 2016, I doubt Rodgers is even in the top 10 now. The reason these managers are "proven" is they are the same bunch that circle round the top clubs and given obscene money to spend on top of the squads they walk into.

Moyes one your examples was given 1 season and spent just £65m which is peanuts, it's not even half of what Guardiola has spent this summer

British managers are not given the chance to become proven as they don't get the same opportunities in this country. The foreign investors want a big name, sexy name, sells merchandise etc. Do football fans in the Middle East or Asia even know who Tony Pullis is? I bet they all know who Guardiola is.

Maybe not Pullis but I bet a bunch of British managers could have equalled a lot of these sexy names CV's given half a chance.

1 - Jose Mourinho – £619m

2 - Manuel Pellegrini – £597m

3 - Carlo Ancelotti – £466m

4 - Roberto Mancini – £441m

5 - Pep Guardiola – £382m

6 - Rafa Benitez – £376m

7 - Louis van Gaal – £337m

8 - Arsene Wenger – £333m

9 - Brendan Rodgers – £287m

10 - Sir Alex Ferguson – £281 m

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3385270/Jose-Mourinho-biggest-spending-manager-world-football-past-10-years-makes-10.html

Again that's just backing up the theory have if the British managers want exposure, they should perhaps go abroad and then all these owners will take notice of them. Saying that British managers could do the same jobs that some of the top foreign managers have done is hypothetical. Paul Lambert went to Germany on his sabatical and he said that it was ridiculous between the standards of coaching in Germany and England, even at younger levels. Gary Neville said he learned lots in the short period that he was at Valencia. Even simple things like goalkeepers getting involved in the rondo in Spain was completely different to how they do it in England. Bobby Robson had the balls to go abroad and it worked out for him(becoming known world wide). You can't blame these owners for picking these foreign managers when all of them have proved that they can adapt to different situations. Tony pulis can keep his teams up? That's nice he can stay there as that's what he is good at. A lot of Derby fans moaned at Pearson's football and poor results, I'd suggest it would be something similar if pulis went to one of the top teams. I dislike the saying that it's easy to manage the top clubs. That's utter nonsense, try having to deal with the day to day pressures of it and from the fans. Mourinho's time at Real Madrid destroyed him as a man and he is still feeling the effects of it now where you get booed just for winning 2-0 as you don't play with style

27 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Agree. Perhaps Hasselbaink was a bad example, however he did get the QPR job off the back of only being at Burton for 5 minutes. Would QPR have considered Exeter boss Paul Tisdale for the vacant position? After all he has a much stronger managerial CV than Hasselbaink? I doubt they would.

You make some valid points though Anon but I still don't think lower league British managers get the credit or opportunities some clearly deserve at times. The reasons for this are many.

Teddy Sheringham is an example. He got the Stevenage job a few years back completely out of the blue despite having no experience. I'm sure he would have been competing for the position with other experienced out of work managers and also non league bosses looking for a football league job.

Yes everyone has to start somewhere but I'm sure the fact that he was Teddy Sheringham helped his cause. Maybe if Teddy had an impressive voluntary record of helping out and assisting non league clubs or even having lots of coaching badges to boast about then I could sort of understand him getting the job.

Take new Lincoln City manager Danny Cowley. P.E teacher, experience in training and coaching people of all ages. Spent years at Concord Rangers getting them promoted 3 times I think it was and leaving them to manage Braintree Town in the National League who he got to the play offs and now he is at Lincoln who are having their best season since dropping out of the football league.

Why does Cowley have to manage 3 clubs over 10 years, progressing each time and getting overlooked at bigger clubs (Uwe Rosler at Fleetwood - what's HE ever done?!) when Sheringham can just walk in and say 'where do ya want me guv?'.

At least Sheringham is British though so there is a positive there.

The name Sheringham the ex Spurs and Man United star will put bums on seats.

Cowley the PE teacher wouldn't initially and that's what a lot of it is about, Steven Gerrard not even left LA Galaxy yet approached for the MK Dons job, why? Big name.

Imagine if David Beckham was interested in management jeez, he would walk straight in to a huge club.

Fans love a name as well, not just owners, a sexy foreign name is even better, Omar Mascarell ooooh la la, Rail Madrid oooh say it in a Robbie Savage voice sounds even better.

41 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Again that's just backing up the theory have if the British managers want exposure, they should perhaps go abroad and then all these owners will take notice of them. Saying that British managers could do the same jobs that some of the top foreign managers have done is hypothetical. Paul Lambert went to Germany on his sabatical and he said that it was ridiculous between the standards of coaching in Germany and England, even at younger levels. Gary Neville said he learned lots in the short period that he was at Valencia. Even simple things like goalkeepers getting involved in the rondo in Spain was completely different to how they do it in England. Bobby Robson had the balls to go abroad and it worked out for him(becoming known world wide). You can't blame these owners for picking these foreign managers when all of them have proved that they can adapt to different situations. Tony pulis can keep his teams up? That's nice he can stay there as that's what he is good at. A lot of Derby fans moaned at Pearson's football and poor results, I'd suggest it would be something similar if pulis went to one of the top teams. I dislike the saying that it's easy to manage the top clubs. That's utter nonsense, try having to deal with the day to day pressures of it and from the fans. Mourinho's time at Real Madrid destroyed him as a man and he is still feeling the effects of it now where you get booed just for winning 2-0 as you don't play with style

Not moaning at all, just calling it as I see it.

Would David Moyes have been given a chance in Spain had he been sacked from Everton, or did the ex Man United on his CV help?

McClaren, ex England manager even Bobby Robson got his chance after England.

Gary Neville was mates and already in business with the owner.

Roy Hodgson is the only one that really had to work his way up.

Paul Lambert has never actually managed abroad.

Being at a top club in England puts you on the radar of top European clubs, it's the most watched league in the world and puts you in the spotlight. For Tony Pulis to go over to say Werder Bremen would do nothing for his CV and put himself in with a chance of a top job.

His best hope is to finish top 10 consistently and hope a top club give him a chance or England come knocking. 

You need to be seen to have a big name or managed/played at a club with a big name.

Would Zidane be at Real had he not been a legend there? Luis Enrique the same at Barca and both have world class players at their disposal that even Pulis would struggle to **** up.

Chelsea haven't had a British manager since 93/96 with Glenn Hoddle, Arsenal and Man United have had long serving managers. Liverpool's ex British managers all but retired after leaving apart from Hodgson and Rodgers who went to England and Celtic.

Hopefully Arsenal go down the English route after Wenger and give Eddie Howe a chance, if that happens I guarantee his next move would be another big club or England regardless of how well he does.

Anyone listened to Guardiola latest interview, apparently they have players that are "new" to the Champions League.

Champions League Campaigns
Clichy, Sagna - 8
Aguero, Fernandinho, Fernando - 7
Yaya, Silva, Kolarov, Zabaleta - 6
Otamendi, Navas, Kompany - 5
De Bruyne, Gundogan - 4
Sterling, Nolito, Caballero - 3
Bravo, Iheanacho, Sané - 2
Stones, Delph - 1

Oh and they are apparently "lucky" not to be facing Bayern, that's what you want to hear from your manager having just spent £180m on a squad that had £180m spent in 15/16, £75m 14/15, £98m 13/14 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38087661

4 hours ago, David said:

Imagine if David Beckham was interested in management jeez, he would walk straight in to a huge club.

Fans love a name as well, not just owners, a sexy foreign name is even better, Omar Mascarell ooooh la la, Rail Madrid oooh say it in a Robbie Savage voice sounds even better.

Brian Pinas?

6 hours ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

Just heard on the radio that Karl Robinson has replaced Russell Slade as Charlton manager.

A step in the right direction IMO. Now get Slade at somewhere like Macclesfield which is more his level.

What's Macc done to deserve that, eh?

Archived