Premier League? Are we NOT having a laugh?

Half fan

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, Martinh said:

1 At the moment, until the next game you let in two or three goals.

2 To score goals you need the ball. This system will give you an awful lot of it.

For me the game is basically three parts.

How to defend. How to attack. Skill.

In answer to a previous question. Google man to man marking.

My information this system was used successfully back in 1960 or so.

Never deemed ineffective but extremely disliked for being unattractive.   

I believe good defensive play can be combined with good attacking play,

not to i'ts detriment.

I have given you 1/3 rd of my life's work. How to defend.

Will respectfully hold on to attack and skill. I say I can provide.

Hahahahaha

I'm sorry but if that's a third of your life's work ..............

You've literally written a couple paragraphs (at absolute most) making points that any idiot from the pub would make and you provided little to no argument to back them up.

10 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Hahahahaha

I'm sorry but if that's a third of your life's work ..............

You've literally written a couple paragraphs (at absolute most) making points that any idiot from the pub would make and you provided little to no argument to back them up.

Would you like to expand on your thesis for winning.

So you find a man and stick with him?

And the first thing that man does is start pulling you out of position and leaving gaps. So all it takes is one player to be beaten in 1v1 and then you've got problems. 

You put the two CB's on two strikers and strictly stick to it. What if the second striker drops deep? Goes wide. Then you have isolated you're other CB with a striker. 1v1. 

You can't stick to a man each like glue. 

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

And the first thing that man does is start pulling you out of position and leaving gaps. So all it takes is one player to be beaten in 1v1 and then you've got problems. 

You put the two CB's on two strikers and strictly stick to it. What if the second striker drops deep? Goes wide. Then you have isolated you're other CB with a striker. 1v1. 

Exactly. It is completely impractical and just a a football clichee. Equally an instruction to the team to make sure player X has someone seriously on his case throughout the game is perfectly sound "Mark X out the game"  and press the man with the ball ....  But if you try and mark them all then You aren't really playing football and it doesn't work anyway. This isn't Xbox. 

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

1  And the first thing that man does is start pulling you out of position and leaving gaps. So all it takes is one player to be beaten in 1v1 and then you've got problems. 

2 You put the two CB's on two strikers and strictly stick to it. What if the second striker drops deep? Goes wide. Then you have isolated you're other CB with a striker. 1v1. 

Def. - defensive   Att.- attacking  

The basic premise in the man marking system, is to deny the opposition time and space.

1   The first thing you have to get through your mind, is that gaps are completely irrelevant .

I have never seen a gap score a goal, make a pass or tackle.   

Secondly. Pull you out of position, in this system, you have no Def. position.

Def. players will of course on occasion lose their Att. player, slip, get beaten, etc.

Not too much of a threat until they enter our defensive half.  

This is where the Def. sweeper comes into play.

He has two effective choices.

Send a defender out to mark the new open Att. player and he marks defenders man.

Or go himself to pressure new open Att, player.

It is simple, it is effective. 

In addition, I play the game as far away as possible from our goal.

2  To clarify.

One Att. player one Def.player plus a sweeper to cover.

Two Att. players two Def. players plus sweeper.

Three Att. players three Def. players plus sweeper and on and on.

If second striker drops deep, goes wide, Def. player go with him.

Resulting in one Def. player plus one Att. player plus sweeper.

Stick to each man like glue. I would recommend it in your own half, when they have possession,

unless you like the other team expressing themselves.

I don't follow at all. 

If I'm a striker being man marked then i'd start drifting wide to take a CB with me. Or i'd drop deep so that a lobbed ball would go to my strike partner. He's 1v1? He cant afford to be beaten. More so if the wide players on my team stay wide. Then my striker has lots of space and an isolated CB.

If you're being man marked then don't play your position. Play on theirs. Move them. They won't like it.

You say you're only in danger when theyre in your half? You're man marking to a man. They can pick where you're entire team goes. 1 long ball and they can skip half your team. 

34 minutes ago, Martinh said:

Def. - defensive   Att.- attacking  

The basic premise in the man marking system, is to deny the opposition time and space.

1   The first thing you have to get through your mind, is that gaps are completely irrelevant .

I have never seen a gap score a goal, make a pass or tackle.   

Secondly. Pull you out of position, in this system, you have no Def. position.

Def. players will of course on occasion lose their Att. player, slip, get beaten, etc.

Not too much of a threat until they enter our defensive half.  

This is where the Def. sweeper comes into play.

He has two effective choices.

Send a defender out to mark the new open Att. player and he marks defenders man.

Or go himself to pressure new open Att, player.

It is simple, it is effective. 

In addition, I play the game as far away as possible from our goal.

2  To clarify.

One Att. player one Def.player plus a sweeper to cover.

Two Att. players two Def. players plus sweeper.

Three Att. players three Def. players plus sweeper and on and on.

If second striker drops deep, goes wide, Def. player go with him.

Resulting in one Def. player plus one Att. player plus sweeper.

Stick to each man like glue. I would recommend it in your own half, when they have possession,

unless you like the other team expressing themselves.

I am sure it's very clever and logical on paper but it sounds just like one of those sure fire betting systems.

also as any general will tell you, in the mayhem of battle the first thing that happens is that very little goes to plan.

your opponents behaviour is not predictable, your own teams individual success in a one on one is not certain, no player can follow precise instructions because there are so many variables. Yes there are systems and strategies that have some value but in the end their success or lack of it depends on skill, endeavour, application and a dose of luck. Furthermore this is championship football not CNC controlled manufacturing. 

On 24 October 2016 at 21:14, Half fan said:

There is so much dismay, bewilderment and frustration on this site as to why our team keeps failing, that it often boils over into slanging matches between us which are equally dismaying.

So might it be helpful to stand back from the week to week disappointments and ask:  why are our hopes so high but constantly dashed?

Obviously the reason for our high hopes is our belief that we should be in the Premier League - as Uncle Mel once said, it's not if but when.  And there are lots of reasons for us to expect to be in the Premier League.

• Stadium capacity and quality? Tick.
  • Average attendances higher than many Premier League clubs? Tick.
  • Fans' forum which boosts our 'brand' with an enviable clarity, ease of use and (often) insightful contributions? Tick.
  • Training facilities? Tick.
  • Ambitious owner? Tick.
  • Wealthy owner willing and able to invest in facilities, management and players? Tick.
  • Chief Executive ranked highly in his field? Tick.
  • Good teamwork between the Executive and the Fanbase? Tick.
  • Recently employed one of the best coaches in Europe? Tick.
  • Recently employed a manager who has achieved promotion to, and eventual success in, the Premier League? Tick.
  • Currently employing (again) one of the best English coaches? Tick.
  • A large squad with depth in quality containing many past or current full internationals? Tick.
  • A well-regarded Academy with some renowned 'graduates'.

What an impressive list of credentials! It's hard to find any important missing ingredient - except enough points at the end of season after season to achieve promotion, or to maintain it. Much easier to find unwanted records and statistics.

So why has DCFC a 14 years' track record of failure to achieve what we all expect and believe to be our rightful position?

Fourteen years!

Are we jinxed or cursed? I am struggling for a real long term reason.

Or are we simply meant to be a Championship Club - very unlikely to be relegated this season or ever, but equally unlikely to  be promoted, let alone stay up there for more than a year? In which case, how much happier might we be if we simply accepted our fate?

Being a fan is supposed to be enjoyable. So maybe a dose of realism and accepting our lot, is all we need?

Blue touch paper lit!

Enjoy!

I can't make my mind up if you're being serious or not with some of your "credentials". 

56 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I don't follow at all. 

1 If I'm a striker being man marked then i'd start drifting wide to take a CB with me. Or i'd drop deep so that a lobbed ball would go to my strike partner. He's 1v1? He cant afford to be beaten. More so if the wide players on my team stay wide. Then my striker has lots of space and an isolated CB.

2 If you're being man marked then don't play your position. Play on theirs. Move them. They won't like it.

3 You say you're only in danger when theyre in your half? You're man marking to a man. They can pick where you're entire team goes. 1 long ball and they can skip half your team. 

1 There is always an extra man numerically, the sweeper.

2 I don't mind our players being moved one bit.

3 Sweeper gets long ball.

21 hours ago, Martinh said:

The common response is.

Players pulled out of position leaving gaps to be exploited.

My response, if everyone is doing their job and everyone is accounted for,

who is going to exploit the spaces.

Truly, this is the football philosophy of a 12 year old who just got football manager for Christmas. Not to say there's not truth to it but I was hoping for more from someone of your calibre.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

I can't make my mind up if you're being serious or not with some of your "credentials". 

I hope you do not mean the one about this forum.

Maybe you meant all the others except this forum.

That would make sense!

22 hours ago, Martinh said:

The common response is.

Players pulled out of position leaving gaps to be exploited.

My response, if everyone is doing their job and everyone is accounted for,

who is going to exploit the spaces.

Players tire, lose concentration, get knocks, make mistakes, slip, are outpaced or overpowered. When this happens under the sort of extreme man-to-man marking system you are advocating, the rest of the team might be in no position to cover without abandoning their own marking responsibilities. You are absolutely relying on the sweeper to be anywhere he is needed, instantly. Realistically at this level, that's not going to happen, and Igor Stimac isn't walking back through that door. I want to know what the plan is when someone isn't doing their job.

You are also ceding a lot of possession to the opposition keeper, though that's probably much less of an issue.

1 hour ago, Martinh said:

1 There is always an extra man numerically, the sweeper.

2 I don't mind our players being moved one bit.

3 Sweeper gets long ball.

So nobody puts pressure on the ball? 

So he's free to do as he pleases

Archived