A thought.

GreenwichRam

I've read in various comments, admittedly of less than stellar veracity, that McClaren was paid off until 2018 when he was dismissed last year. 

Would this have been paid as a one-off lump sum, or would it be spread out on a monthly basis until the end of his original contract? If so, his 'new' deal being until the end of the 17/18 season makes sense when I would assume that we've simply shifted from paying an ex-manager to a current manager, with no appreciable difference in expenditure. 

Could,of course, be complete rubbish!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GreenwichRam said:

I've read in various comments, admittedly of less than stellar veracity, that McClaren was paid off until 2018 when he was dismissed last year. 

Would this have been paid as a one-off lump sum, or would it be spread out on a monthly basis until the end of his original contract? If so, his 'new' deal being until the end of the 17/18 season makes sense when I would assume that we've simply shifted from paying an ex-manager to a current manager, with no appreciable difference in expenditure. 

Interesting thought. You'd think McClaren could have knocked it back though and kept earning for doing nothing. Isn't that what "gardening leave" is for though too? 

17 minutes ago, EssendonRam said:

Interesting thought. You'd think McClaren could have knocked it back though and kept earning for doing nothing. Isn't that what "gardening leave" is for though too? 

If we offered him slightly more than the severance payments were getting him, we still save money on a new manager, Mac's making a bit extra than he was already. Win-win for both sides.

So we were paying him X amount per week in severance payments until 2018, but we gave him a contract that cancels those payments and pays him X and a half a week. We're only paying for half a manager in net difference, and Mac's making more than he was before with the added bonus of going back to finish a job he feels he never got to finish.

If that's the case, you've got to say it makes sense. When that's on the table, is it any wonder the relationships that had broken down were so quickly repaired? You don't hold a grudge if making amends can do you a massive favour.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/r/rational-choice-theory.asp

Innitial thoughts of his return was! Hope he has only returned to collect his brolly.I am not convinced of his character and loyalty towards us,however accept that non of us know the full ins and outs of what previously happened. He is certainly a very good coach and we were playing for the most part excellent football due to him last time round.Just hope this doesnt come back to bite us on the bum ,but lets hope lessons have been learnt from both parties and we can move onwards in a more positive light from now on.

More optimistic about his appointment today so hope everyone will give him a fair crack of the whip,get behind everyone at the club including Mel and show a united front COYR.

I sincerely doubt the minute he took a new job he continued to receive payments from Derby.

The fact we (I mean Morris) wanted him and he probably had no other route back into Mgt I suspect we were in a strong bargaining power.

The amount of money to paid off staff members over two years though must be frightening.

2 hours ago, rammieib said:

The amount of money to paid off staff members over two years though must be frightening.

Could this be why we have stuck with the exact current coaching staff? I'm still finding it a little strange that he hasn't brought Simmo in with him

13 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

This is the way payoffs normally work.

I'm not going to profess to know the ins and outs but severance payments are normally one off payments.

I doubt another employer would have allowed payments to continue from an old employer.

On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 21:34, rammieib said:

I'm not going to profess to know the ins and outs but severance payments are normally one off payments.

I doubt another employer would have allowed payments to continue from an old employer.

I doubt that would be an issue; more the reverse, ie the damage for which he might be receiving 'compensation' is mitigated. That said, your more important point is exactly correct. Normally the only reason a payout would be stretched out over an extended time is financial; either the payer needs time (feasible in our case if FFP was an issue buf only if FFP rules are on a cash basis rather  than an accrual basis) or the recipient has tax issues. The only reason would be if the payout had a compensatory component for damages as well as simply paying out the contract.  

On 13.10.2016 at 14:58, GreenwichRam said:

It happens all the time in Italy, but I've undrestood that culture is bit different in England.

Archived