All quiet at the iPro?

angieram

We popped down there to pick up our Huddersfield tickets today and went up to Igor's for lunch.

It is always good to see a different perspective of the ground and I was fascinated by all the workmen beavering away at different things - some guys working on the sound system, banks of heat-lights across the shaded areas, re-laying some of the AstroTurf in front of the North-east stand. 

Two guys actually cutting the grass with hand mowers - that made me smile as it's not a ten-minute job. 

Running a football stadium is a mini-industry in itself! 

2016-10-03 15.06.40.jpg

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, angieram said:

We popped down there to pick up our Huddersfield tickets today and went up to Igor's for lunch.

It is always good to see a different perspective of the ground and I was fascinated by all the workmen beavering away at different things - some guys working on the sound system, banks of heat-lights across the shaded areas, re-laying some of the AstroTurf in front of the North-east stand. 

Two guys actually cutting the grass with hand mowers - that made me smile as it's not a ten-minute job. 

2016-10-03 15.06.40.jpg

How was your lunch at Igor's?

I hope the work on the sound system will mean that:

a. you can actually hear the announcements

b. you can hear yourself think above the volume of the announcements

Normally the bloke on the microphone comes out as a (very loud) garbled racket (at least in the East stand)

Lunch at Igor's was fine, quite reasonably priced. They have sweet potato fries, which I love. 

It is a nice setting, very comfortable and of course the great views.

I didn't realise until today that you could just go in for a drink - about same price as Starbucks and free biscuits.

It wasn't very busy though so I thought I'd give it some publicity. ;)

I don't have a problem with the quality of the sound system where I sit (North Stand) just what comes out of it! 

40 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

Normally the bloke on the microphone comes out as a (very loud) garbled racket (at least in the East stand)

I'm in the North Stand and have to admit that I often struggle to hear what the announcer is saying too. Maybe I think he talks too quickly? I don't know but sometimes it's difficult to interpret.

The music is terrible too. Maybe as a theme they could do what clubs such as Rochdale and Bury do so well and so poignantly and that is play music from bands / musicians that are from the area. Some serious Smiths tunes going down pre match at Spotland. It's wonderful. Maybe play music from Derbyshire bands / musicians. Even if they aren't famous - give local musicians a platform I say.

Derby have such a beautiful stadium though as we can see from angierams picture and though generally I don't favour the generic  identikit meccano-esque structure and appearance of new stadiums (Chesterfield's is awful), I think the iPro is one of the best I've seen as new grounds go.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

2016-10-03 15.06.40.jpg

Can I actually just turn up at Igors restaurant on Friday without book it? Just want something to eat then off to south for 2 nights. 

Many Thanks 

DEL

:) 

3 hours ago, Gaspode said:

No chance of hearing anything above the booing

Just thought I would post this for a previous post regarding induction loop system at the ipro. :D

BLIND/ PARTIALLY SIGHTED SUPPORTERS & DEAF/HARD OF HEARING SUPPORTERS

An Induction Loop System is available in certain parts of the stadium and complimentary headsets can be provided and used in all areas of the stadium, to enable supporters to listen to the match commentary and enjoy the game. Please contact the Disabled Liaison Officer on 0871 472 1884 (option 1) for more information.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/tickets/disabled_supporters_tickets/index.aspx#2fJMi32KmMb0XUy7.99

Sorry I don't know the definite answers to your questions about Igor's although I think it is open every weekday and we didn’t book so I think you can drop in - you might have a wait though if it's busy. It's quite a big room.

Always thought it a bit odd they don't open on matchdays. Or have I missed something?

Similarly, someone I know who's teetotal wanted to meet at the game one time so I suggested Starbucks after the (Sunday afternoon IIRC) match. And it was closed! WTF!!??

What's the point of having these facilities at the ground if they're unable to generate money on matchday which you'd think should be the most lucrative time for them?

Archived