Reading Fan Chat – Reading v Derby

daib0

As always, friendly greetings from daib0, pleased to be in touch again but to be honest I’m not away long either - nearly 300 posts isn’t so bad for an away fan. Well, when I’m not the neutral ‘games-master’ guy I’m a Royals fan for my sins -  and so I wondered if I could get a bit of chat going once again to report back to the guys and gals on my forum.  I realize I’ve left it a bit late but never mind. These are always hugely appreciated by our folk on ‘Royals Rendezvous’.

Here  goes, a few pointers right here underneath but any comments or pointers always welcome!:

A] How has close season gone? Who are the major ins-and-outs of the squad? … any youngsters in particular that look really promising? Could you mention generally a few of your biggest talents to inform the RR members? Dare I ask, how are Blackman and Vydra doing? Of the others, whom should we specially beware?

B] This is a modest start you’re having, though it is all bunched up together at the moment and the table probably doesn’t mean too much. How do you think this season will go for the Rams, both by head and heart? In general do you see the Championship as perhaps stronger than usual this year, what with Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Norwich, etc. and surprises like Huddersfield and Barnsley in there too?

C] Reading have started comfortably but up to a point modestly, it’s virtually a complete new team for us this season which may or may not click - no idea yet to be honest -  and of course a new manager with a distinguished playing career. So any thoughts on Stam Jaap and the Royals - do you think he might produce something special or will it be another average season for us like the last two?!

D] Looking ahead to this game – even if you’re leaving a prediction elsewhere, could you give me just a quick indication of how you see the play going?

As always, I promise that any snippets used will be credited by reference to your forum, and the individual member in question. Ah, and this forum is of course our recommendation (post #02) on the RR Match Presentation for fans to read on anything Derby!

http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/30017833/1

Any questions for us in return, just get back and I’ll do my best lads, or ask on my forum if necessary …

daib0, and the team on ‘Royals Rendezvous’

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBC Sport

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/37458430

Match Preview

BBC coverage
How to follow:
Listen on BBC Radio 5 live and BBC local radio; text commentary on the BBC Sport website

Team News

Reading will have midfielder Garath McCleary available again following a three-match suspension for a red card. Fellow midfielder Danny Williams will also be pushing for a return having missed the midweek defeat at Brentford with an ankle injury.

Chris Powell is in charge of Derby County for a second game following the suspension of manager Nigel Pearson. Defenders Jason Shackell (calf) and Marcus Olsson, and midfielder Craig Bryson (both groin) could all return.

Reading striker Yann Kermorgant told BBC Radio Berkshire:
"Derby have got a massive squad. It didn't work out for them at the start of the season, but I'm sure they will get better and we will have to be at our best to beat them. They won on Tuesday and will be more confident maybe, but it's up to us and we've done well at home this season. We have to make sure that we carry that form on and believe in what we do."

Derby caretaker boss Chris Powell on manager Nigel Pearson's suspension:
"We have to get on with the job in hand. We have a responsibility to carry on with the jobs we do and make the sure the team is focused and the players are prepared and coached in the same manner. You have to be professional. People may roll their eyes when they hear that, but you are employed to do a job. Winning a football match [the 2-0 win away against Cardiff on Tuesday] always helps; it helps the players and the supporters."

Analysis

Former Reading captain and BBC Radio Berkshire presenter Ady Williams:
"Reading are unbeaten at home in all competitions so far this season, which should help them get back to winning ways. The return of Garath McCleary will also be a big plus for Jaap Stam. Defensively, it was the worse performance of the season in the 4-1 defeat by Brentford, but I think the manager will keep faith with the back four.
As for Derby, surely it's a matter of time before they start climbing the Championship table? While things are a little uncertain off the pitch, on it their 2-0 win at Cardiff in midweek will be a massive boost.
The return to the Madejski Stadium of Nick Blackman and Matej Vydra should help generate a hostile atmosphere. Both possibly to make a point against their former club."

MATCH FACTS

Reading are winless in their last four league matches against Derby at the Madejski Stadium (D2 L2).

Indeed, the Rams have kept a clean sheet in each of their past three visits to Reading in league competition.

Reading have conceded five times in the opening 15 minutes of the second half - no Championship team has conceded more in this period.

After 13 games this season, Derby finally scored more than one goal in a game by beating Cardiff 2-0 in midweek.

The Royals are unbeaten at home in the Championship this season, winning three and drawing two.

Tom Ince's strike against Cardiff was his first league goal since April. He hasn't scored in back-to-back league games since December 2015.

1 hour ago, daib0 said:

As always, friendly greetings from daib0, pleased to be in touch again but to be honest I’m not away long either - nearly 300 posts isn’t so bad for an away fan. Well, when I’m not the neutral ‘games-master’ guy I’m a Royals fan for my sins -  and so I wondered if I could get a bit of chat going once again to report back to the guys and gals on my forum.  I realize I’ve left it a bit late but never mind. These are always hugely appreciated by our folk on ‘Royals Rendezvous’.

Here  goes, a few pointers right here underneath but any comments or pointers always welcome!:

A] How has close season gone? Who are the major ins-and-outs of the squad? … any youngsters in particular that look really promising? Could you mention generally a few of your biggest talents to inform the RR members? Dare I ask, how are Blackman and Vydra doing? Of the others, whom should we specially beware?

B] This is a modest start you’re having, though it is all bunched up together at the moment and the table probably doesn’t mean too much. How do you think this season will go for the Rams, both by head and heart? In general do you see the Championship as perhaps stronger than usual this year, what with Newcastle, Villa, Brighton, Norwich, etc. and surprises like Huddersfield and Barnsley in there too?

C] Reading have started comfortably but up to a point modestly, it’s virtually a complete new team for us this season which may or may not click - no idea yet to be honest -  and of course a new manager with a distinguished playing career. So any thoughts on Stam Jaap and the Royals - do you think he might produce something special or will it be another average season for us like the last two?!

D] Looking ahead to this game – even if you’re leaving a prediction elsewhere, could you give me just a quick indication of how you see the play going?

As always, I promise that any snippets used will be credited by reference to your forum, and the individual member in question. Ah, and this forum is of course our recommendation (post #02) on the RR Match Presentation for fans to read on anything Derby!

http://royalsrendezvous.co.uk/topic/30017833/1

Any questions for us in return, just get back and I’ll do my best lads, or ask on my forum if necessary …

daib0, and the team on ‘Royals Rendezvous’

Firstly, welcome Daib0. Always nice to hear from outside posters who are not simply WUMs! There are many on here way better qualified to offer commentary but my views are as follows:

A) Put simply, a bit nightmarish to date.  Our league position kind of tells a story without necessarily telling the whole story. Pearson came in, tried to overhaul and it's fair to say it's not gone swimmingly. That chapter in the book looks over now and Powell seems to be the most likely replacement. He's a Derby man and whilst not a marquee appointment (if he gets the job), many here would be ok with him being given a proper chance to prove he can do a job. Youngster to note IMO is Timmy Elsnik - might be a proper player. No others have really been given a chance to date though Hanson might be smart given time. Max Lowe likewise.  Blackman has had a tough time but has showed something on occasion and probably needs to play through the middle to show his best, Whether he'll get that opportunity remains to be seen. Anya would be one to watch - tricky, quick and willing.

B) We were a team in transition. The recent success was garnered playing 4-3-3 and Pearson favoured a 4-4-2. Allied to some strange team selections and a seemingly disenchanted squad, things have not panned out the way they might have to date.  That said, had we converted some of our chances, we'd not be languishing in the lower echelons. We'll do ok though top 6 might be the best we can hope for now. Consolidation after a period of unrest is the mandatory requirement though! I don't think with the possible exception of Newcastle that the league is much stronger. It's always competitive and there's always recently relegated teams with superficially strong looking squads and cash to burn. There's always a Barnsley - MK Dons were top 3 for a while if I recall but that's the benefit of a settled squad and the table may look different by mid-season. More power to them and Huddersfield though!

C) Definitely not qualified to answer this but I'm Oxford based and know a good few Royals fans. Those I know seem to be reasonbly pleased with what they are seeing and certainly less critical than in recent seasons. Jap seems to be doing a job and even in happier times Reading have given us problems.  It won't be a game where we take the opposition lightly, that's for sure. We've put in some abject performances against your lot and conversely you looked good against us. Hopefully we'll turn you over but then I would say that, wouldn't I!

D) Open game with chances either way. Derby to edge it 2-1.

Hope this is some use and thanks for stopping by!

13 minutes ago, daib0 said:

Many thanks 86 points - great comments, just the sort of thing I was hoping for.

Never any WUMs on Royals Rendezvous, full of respect for other teams, the mods insist on that!!

Welcome fella - hopefully you'll get a few rather more informed posts before the game but with recent events at the club folks are busy chatting about other stuff. Never a dull moment at Derby, least recently! Forgot to ask questions so....

Apart from the boss, what's new at your end?

How did fans view the sale of Blackman and who filled the gap?

What are the realistic posters' aspirations for the season?

Who are the guys we need to kick on Saturday? :ph34r: *

Any exciting youth coming through?

How have the fans responded to the season so far?

What do they expect come Saturday?

* Don't worry, we've no enforcers in the squad!

Good luck in any case (but not too good!) 

25 minutes ago, 86 points said:

Welcome fella - hopefully you'll get a few rather more informed posts before the game but with recent events at the club folks are busy chatting about other stuff. Never a dull moment at Derby, least recently! Forgot to ask questions so....

Who are the guys we need to kick on Saturday? :ph34r: *

* Don't worry, we've no enforcers in the squad!

Good luck in any case (but not too good!) 

Here, done my best to be honest here:

virtually the whole team! The youngsters survive but nearly all the high pay earners left last season at the end of the (2nd) McDermott regime

If I’m honest I think we were fortunate with the sale. Obviously he’s skilful but he’d been with us a far while yet only showed terrific flair and goalscoring in barely half-a-season at the tail end, previous to that he was only moderately good. But of course we had no idea whether he’d then flower or flop next step …that's in your hands now. Ah, I can't really say that anyone has stepped into Blackman's shoes as such ... which we were definitely worried about at first. Remember last season we weren't so far off the last relegation place!!

Realistic would be higher mid-table but outside the play-off fight. Any more would be a genuine surprise. The boss talks about a three year plan to get up …

Who are the guys we need to kick on Saturday?  *

The midfield is definitely the best. Best performer has probably been Swift, though Beerens is now settling down very well too. McCleary shows glimpses, if only it were more regular. Forwards try hard and good team spirit but are not what anyone would call prolific, if between them they get one Saturday we’d be grateful. We got some 10 defenders in the squad but they’re a little unstable, not helped by so much changing and swopping around. Their possession stuff is good, but can be found out against fast talented opposing strikers. Al Habsi is fine in goal though, indeed he was the Player of the Season last term…

Reading has an excellent U23 set-up; currently mid-table in the top U23 league division. Yet not so many are being, or have been recently been given, much game time. Obita in defensive midfield and Samuel up front are very good hopes at present. And new French import Mendes has been a big gamble of Stam but if he can step up a mark looks like being a strong striker. But most fans have criticized the two previous managers for not doing enough in this respect.

Amused! they’ve not really expected the Royals to be even top half! To rise to the giddy heights of fourth before being walloped at Brentford seemed almost too good to be true - and it was!

There’s plenty of respect for Derby; your history alone is something we could only dream of. I think fans are comforting themselves that the club is unbeaten so far at home this season, but it will probably be only a single goal’s difference for either side, or a draw. I’d say either 0-0 or 1-0 for the Royals, but what does anyone really know!!

Hey welcome mate

Well we have struggled so far but nigel pearson change our best formation from 443 to a 442 or a 4411 which does not suit us. But then he got rid of chris martin that majour threat to other teams. But after tuesday i am more hopeful i think chris powell change it back to a 443 and which we a lot of balance to our play again. 

We do have some pace upfront with tom ince and vryda with will huges feeding them along with butterfield. It does seem we might have found cover cdm in which George Thorne played but bradly johnson played there on tuesday and did a fanstic job.

We have a young lad callied max low he looked really impressive against cardiff city. He demand that left back position did not put a foot wrong but he put in some fanstic crossses in but also got back quickly to do his defances duties but will be a test for him against a very good reading side.

I'll chuck in my six-penn'orth based on reports from family members and some first hand observations. 

A. Pre-season was a shambles. Started with an ill fated tournament in the algarve where we got tonked by benfica and we couldn't get any momentum.

Quotes beginning to emerge from the manager about prizing athleticism and giving blackman a start in the opening game despite him having achieved very little for us so far.

Change in formation and system to start the season which literally seems to suit none of our players. This was not trailed heavily in any initial comments from the manager who suggested "tweaking" was all that was required. 

No major ins or outs until very late in transfer window. Then a couple of panic buys plus moving on some cult heroes. Buxton Martin out, vydra anya in.

We've brought through 3 youth players. Mitchell,  a keeper,  is well thought of. Max Lowe may well start at left back  (we lost forsyth early in the season to yet another acl injury). Timi max elsnik is a busy midfielder who's looked tidy in a couple of sub appearances. 

B. Given our start,  I'd settle for staying out of the headlines for a while. Realistically I think we'll climb steadily but not spectacularly and finish upper mid table say 8th. The league will be similar to previous in my view with a few clubs expected to do well on the basis of cash spent. There will be surprises both upside and downside. Maybe villa will under achieve and Huddersfield surprise.

C. Reading will improve under stam. More importantly now you've got some investment in the team following the lean end to the madejski years. I hope that the owners don't proceed with all the "redevelopment " around the stadium that was shown on south today. You've got a couple of players we covet. Obita the left back and hector get mentions on here when transfer windows are open. I see you just short of playoffs this year but having a good go next.  Be interesting to see how you bounce back from the disappointment of Brentford. 

D.  I have us down for 0-0.  Our defence is reasonable but we've lacked going forward. Confidence is fragile so if we did concede we're unlikely to come back. I think you will have the majorityof the play but will be wary of our pace on the break...

Ps I'll be there. Like the trip to reading. Good crowd and decent ground. COYR

All the best,  Hants.

Oh you royals have picked the wrong weekend to host these resurgent rams!

Expect us to line up pretty much as we were on Tuesday. Keogh is our nutcase in the heart of defence with probably Pearce as the only option next to him. Local lad Max Lowe was excellent on Tuesday and will keep his place at left back. Christie is our lively but a tad wasteful RB. We've all been crying out for Bradley Johnson in the holding role and that's where he'll be on Saturday freeing up Hughes and Butterfield to work their xavi/Iniesta style magic. Up front new boys Anya and Vydra have settled in well and are a ray of sunshine in an otherwise dull start to the season. And then there's Ince. Oh Ince. On his day he's like a footballing navy seal capable of annihilating defences with his natural killer instinct. On other days he can be a douche. But he's on a rich vein of form (since tuesday) and will be our biggest goal threat against you.

Under our new interim manager Chris Powell, (and an enlivened away crowd) expect passion, creativity, 4-3-3, 60% derby possession... and probably no goals. 

Thanks for selling us those players by the way. Thanks for that. No really, thanks. Ffs.

Seriously though I'm sure you'll be up there, I hope Stam does well for you - I wouldn't be surprised at all to see you in the play-offs this season. Hope we'Lloyd be there too!

a) Appointing Pearson has backfired, big time. There was a lot of support at the appointment but in my opinion he turned out to be the wrong man for the right reasons - our soft underbelly has been a problem for a long while now and a strong man to galvanise a talented squad seemed the way to go. It's not gone well. (see table and forum for details) but in summary, completely de-motivated the squad, played a system that didn't suit, dropped or sold popular players appeared to be of the mind "plan A isn't working, work harder at plan A" - HOWEVER His suspension is over his behaviour, if rumours are to be believed he had a disagreement with the owner which was heated enough to be sent home (it's believed he's not coming back). Ins of Vydra and Anya seem to be good, outs of Hendrick was decent money and he wanted top flight, so we understand, Martin to Fulham seems odd, clearly Pearson had no time for him, but he's on loan rather than taking the money Fulham or Wolves offered (mistake IMO, his price was only going to down, but we might have him back in the end).

Vydra, not clicked yet but I feel will be a threat once he gets service. Blackman was cursed by the fee and being Clement's last gamble before PC left (fell out with owner, apparently), there's some ability in there somewhere but just seems to do the wrong thing frustratingly often. He scored a pen on Tuesday and that might just life a weight from him (his pen is his only goal for us).

Youngsters - Max Lowe made his first league start on Tuesday and looked the part (LB) and "Bruiser" Jamie Hanson has been doing the odd job in the first team for a while now. Elsnik, left midfield could make the step up.

b) The start knocked expectations a lot, before the season started, top 6 without doubt was commonly felt to be minimum. That became "transition" now it's unclear where we're going. Heart says we'll get the spirit back under the new boss (be that Powell or someone else) and make a run towards top 6, head says it'll be more messy than that and we'll be in the middle somewhere.

The league is harder this year, but it is every year and I don't think Newcastle and villa completely change the dynamic that much, relegated teams are often in with a good shout unless they are financially poop.

c) big changes for you guys, seldom do they bring immediate success, but from what I've seen (on C5) you're not a bad side. I'd expect you to be in the middle somewhere, in that position where happiness is decided by are you playing decent football and looking to be moving the right way in the future.

d) With Pearson gone, Powell is in charge for now, he's had experience in the division, and there's a lot of love for him at Derby, the players seemed to respond well on Tuesday, came out of their shells a bit. expect the same 11 or close to in the same 4-3-3, Brad Johnson holding, Hughes and Butters forward in the midfield expect Vydra and Anya and Ince the front three. The outcome depends on how we each react, if Reading come out with a point to prove after being beat last match we might crumble, if we come at it with the renewed "put things right" attitude (or your last match just rocked you a bit much) we could do all right. I don't expect Blackman to start but do expect him on as sub and to want to prove a point (old club factor).

Daib0, always as pleasure, always seen Reading as a decent club to.

Many thanks to all, this re-confirms my longstanding conviction that this forum is without a doubt one of the best fan sites in the land ... and I've signed up to over 60!!

On matchday I prefer not to make much comment, think it's more respectful that way, but will try to be back Sunday - there again, no whingeing and even more obviouisly no gloating. Honestly don't know how it'll go, there's not much between the sides, so hope it's a great game for all, and for the neutrals as well. :thumbsup::)

22 hours ago, daib0 said:

Rest has been well covered so I thought giving my thoughts about Stam. I think he was probably the biggest coup in Championship this summer. Such gentleman, not the ***** like he was as a player. But still demanding and fair as  you've perhaps seen already?

No surprise that he has brought few players from his own agency, looks like his mates (like Westerveld's) word means a lot when going for signings. And as he is pretty well-connected, I think you'll be more than fine in a long run.

By the way, how is Jaakkola doing? Number two/three I assume?

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

Rest has been well covered so I thought giving my thoughts about Stam. I think he was probably the biggest coup in Championship this summer. Such gentleman, not the ***** like he was as a player. But still demanding and fair as  you've perhaps seen already?

No surprise that he has brought few players from his own agency, looks like his mates (like Westerveld's) word means a lot when going for signings. And as he is pretty well-connected, I think you'll be more than fine in a long run.

By the way, how is Jaakkola doing? Number two/three I assume?

Well, he's made three appearances but not yet in the league where Al Habsi more than dominates. I'm not really sure on his progress to be truthful, I can ask some of the staunch regulars maybe ... 

I always like threads with visitors .. Stops us inbreeding too much ! Welcome 

this fixture always raises a secret grin for me .. I can't help but smile at East Midlands and Just Eat meets West of London and Waitrose .. There is a story there somewhere but can't quite figure what it is. 

i think @Radioactive has summed up where we are perfectly. Wouldn't change a word.

As someone who grew up on the red side of Manchester seeing the "six foot man" is always a pleasure, I just hope he hasn't managed to put his quality of steel in your defence just yet. 

I have no idea how this one will pan out .. I believe that we have a squad that, if it plays anywhere near its potential, is a league winning group .. But we haven't so far this season and despite a burst of passion against Hull in the 2nd leg playoffs we haven't played much good football for the best part of 9 months. Confidence is fragile but we are pretty tough in defence and quick on the break ..so if we get one watch out. 

3 minutes ago, jono said:

I always like threads with visitors .. Stops us inbreeding too much ! Welcome 

this fixture always raises a secret grin for me .. I can't help but smile at East Midlands and Just Eat meets West of London and Waitrose .. There is a story there somewhere but can't quite figure what it is. 

i think @Radioactive has summed up where we are perfectly. Wouldn't change a word.

As someone who grew up on the red side of Manchester seeing the "six foot man" is always a pleasure, I just hope he hasn't managed to put his quality of steel in your defence just yet. 

I have no idea how this one will pan out .. I believe that we have a squad that, if it plays anywhere near its potential, is a league winning group .. But we haven't so far this season and despite a burst of passion against Hull in the 2nd leg playoffs we haven't played much good football for the best part of 9 months. Confidence is fragile but we are pretty tough in defence and quick on the break ..so if we get one watch out. 

that's the beauty of football - you've a historical importance - Clough is still  a near God for me - just to be rubbing shoulders with yourselves is such a pleasure -- 

A] Pre-season was eerily quiet and probably a game or two light, in my mind. We didn't sign anyone and we never really settled. Everyone's slate had been wiped, for better or worse. Going into the opening day and seeing Pearson's first starting line-up reflected that. Perceived key players found themselves on the bench and the team looked almost unrecognisable and bemusingly so. Those were the early warning signs that Pearson's ideas seemed less than shrewd, but to be honest, I still thought sooner or later, our quality would tell. 

We've signed Vydra, Anya and Wilson. Vydra was a very welcome and exciting signing for most of us. He has excellent pedigree at this level. Anya and Wilson never really got anyone off the sofa doing a jig but most fans were willing to give them a chance to show what they could do. They are all still finding their feet here and all of them have shown glimpses of quality.

The major talking points have been the departures and a lack of reinforcements in key areas. No defensive midfielder coming in to cover Thorne's absence and loaning out Martin and selling Hendrick without replacing either being the main bones of contention. Personally, I can see why both Hendrick and Martin were moved on to freshen things up and recoup some cash, but not replacing Thorne or Hendrick was unforgivable and I felt robbed of the tantalising prospect of a Martin-Vydra partnership.

Hughes and Ince are pivotal players in my mind. If they play well, we can give any team in this division headaches. But the biggest problem for us has been getting the balance of the team right, which has simply stunted everyone.

B] Top six was the expectation before the season began. I had us down to finish 4th. It's still too soon to write off the top six. A lot can change with 36 games to play. What worries me is that we've already lost five games. We've looked very beatable but if we can address that rather quickly, there is still hope for us. The Championship is no different now than it was before. Very competitive and inconsistent by and large, with one or two teams eventually finding enough consistency to stand out from the rest. So we could still creep back into the promotion picture if we get our act together quickly enough. But given this torrid start, 7th-10th would be about right.

C] Some teams you always look at and you can feel confident of victory. That's not the case with Reading. I've always perceived you as a team to be wary of. If we catch you on your best day, it's a comfortable Reading win. If we catch you on your worst day, it's probably still a comfortable Reading win. I've not seen much of you under Stam but I know he has shaken things up a little and judging by results alone, seemingly for the better. I'd put you in the same bracket as the likes of Birmingham, Ipswich and Brentford - teams who knock on the door but usually run out of steam in the spring. So I'd expect you to be in the lower top half.

D] Reading 3-1 Derby. I think we'll start strongly, riding the momentum of Tuesday's win. I could see us coming out of the traps quickly and edging in front but failing to take our chances to kill off the game. Reading will grow into the game and will come alive in the second half and as we begin to tire and gaps begin to open up, Reading pour it on and goals will follow.

14 hours ago, daib0 said:

Many thanks to all, this re-confirms my longstanding conviction that this forum is without a doubt one of the best fan sites in the land ... and I've signed up to over 60!!

On matchday I prefer not to make much comment, think it's more respectful that way, but will try to be back Sunday - there again, no whingeing and even more obviouisly no gloating. Honestly don't know how it'll go, there's not much between the sides, so hope it's a great game for all, and for the neutrals as well. :thumbsup::)

Bet you say that to all the fan-sites , You couldn't go on LTLF and slag 'em off for us , could you ? :p

Anyway , always nice to hear from you, daib0 ,

You still involved in that Prediction Table thingy ?

Archived