Dogs

scarboroughwa

Sith Happens
30 minutes ago, David said:

Don't need an excuse, if the owner doesn't want to put a bell on that's their choice, no law that says they must wear one. 

No you are right although the RSPCA do recommend they do.

I think it depends on how considerate or not the owner is. Most arent very.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No you are right although the RSPCA do recommend they do.

I think it depends on how considerate or not the owner is. Most arent very.

RSPCA actually recommend you don't put a collar on a cat, if you must one with a safety clasp, they don't last long at all, you could say they do their job. 

Cats like to climb in trees, through tight spaces, a collar can easily strangle them.

I understand your dislike for cats but I've owned all 3, dog, rabbits and cats so I can see all sides of the arguments.

When you say put a bell on a cat, I can say provide a safe home for your rabbit and it wouldn't be an issue. Not trying to be an arse when I say that either! 

The truth is, cats are the most difficult to be considerate with others. Keep them inside it's cruel, they are outdoor pets and even with a litter tray inside you can't control where they take a number 2, there's an argument to be made they shouldn't be pets just like rabbits. 

As you mentioned earlier, Rabbits shouldn't be kept in hutches, makes me sick to see the tiny hutches Pets at Home have outside, clearly not suitable for any rabbit.

You need a lot of space for a rabbit which a lot of people don't realise, we had a large shed with a barn style door that opened into a secure outside run that I could walk in hunched over. 

They had access to it all day with the door shut at night. The truth is it's easily possible to create one that is secure from foxes and cats so they really shouldn't be an issue.

Ours only got in as he liked to sneak in as we was cleaning it out!

Everyone loves their pets whatever it is, it's our responsibility as owners to ensure they live a safe happy healthy life. 

Cats’ collars can strangle or seriously injure the animals, and owners should stop putting them on their pets, the RSPCA has warned.

The charity said that diamante collars are the most dangerous to animals, and that buckles should also be avoided.

In one case, a buckle had to be surgically removed from a cat’s neck after it became embedded in his skin.

And another cat seen by the charity was left with deep holes that became infected after diamante jewels dug into her mouth as she tried to remove her collar.

The cat, named Bea by the charity, was found some 10 days later covered in blood after contracting deadly flystrike, which causes maggots to become infested in a cut.  

Jason Finch, from the RSPCA, said: ‘Buckles and elasticated collars can be lethal if cats get stuck somewhere. 

'This serves as an important reminder to only use collars which snap open without human help.’

‘It is all very well dressing your cat up in a diamante collar so they look nice – but owners also have a responsibility to make sure their animals are safe.’

Unlike dogs, cats are not required to wear a collar so owners should stay away, he added.

The charity also warned that owners concerned about their pets getting lost and being unidentifiable should instead resort to microchipping. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3268803/How-sparkly-collar-cat-kill-RSPCA-warn-owners-strangle-seriously-injure-pets.html

I remember putting a collar on our cat when she was little more than a kitten. She thought the bell was somehting behind her and she went absolutely loopy, sprinting round the house & up & down curtains, culminating in her eventually disappearing up the chimney. She was still hyperventilating when I managed to get her down. We never tried again & luckily the only animal I ever saw her with outside was a live frog.

Sith Happens
23 minutes ago, David said:

RSPCA actually recommend you don't put a collar on a cat, if you must one with a safety clasp, they don't last long at all, you could say they do their job. 

Cats like to climb in trees, through tight spaces, a collar can easily strangle them.

I understand your dislike for cats but I've owned all 3, dog, rabbits and cats so I can see all sides of the arguments.

When you say put a bell on a cat, I can say provide a safe home for your rabbit and it wouldn't be an issue. Not trying to be an arse when I say that either! 

The truth is, cats are the most difficult to be considerate with others. Keep them inside it's cruel, they are outdoor pets and even with a litter tray inside you can't control where they take a number 2, there's an argument to be made they shouldn't be pets just like rabbits. 

As you mentioned earlier, Rabbits shouldn't be kept in hutches, makes me sick to see the tiny hutches Pets at Home have outside, clearly not suitable for any rabbit.

You need a lot of space for a rabbit which a lot of people don't realise, we had a large shed with a barn style door that opened into a secure outside run that I could walk in hunched over. 

They had access to it all day with the door shut at night. The truth is it's easily possible to create one that is secure from foxes and cats so they really shouldn't be an issue.

Ours only got in as he liked to sneak in as we was cleaning it out!

Everyone loves their pets whatever it is, it's our responsibility as owners to ensure they live a safe happy healthy life. 

I do understand what your saying, and as ive said before i take steps to avoid any issues, but i do enjoy seeing them run free in the garden.

My reaction was to the post suggesting people should make sure their dogs dont attack cats, but take no precautions to prevent their cats attacking other animals, it works the same way surely - you cant complain if a cat is attacked by a dog on the dog owners land if you allow your cat to roam free and attack other animals.

To be fair if most cats tried it on with my rabbits i'd suspect that the cat may well come off worst.

20 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I do understand what your saying, and as ive said before i take steps to avoid any issues, but i do enjoy seeing them run free in the garden.

My reaction was to the post suggesting people should make sure their dogs dont attack cats, but take no precautions to prevent their cats attacking other animals, it works the same way surely - you cant complain if a cat is attacked by a dog on the dog owners land if you allow your cat to roam free and attack other animals.

To be fair if most cats tried it on with my rabbits i'd suspect that the cat may well come off worst.

Not read all the topic to be honest but I agree a dog should be trained, not sure you can train one not to attack cats specifically but it should have the basic drop and recall to use. 

Dog owners are the worst I've come across for being inconsiderate, obviously not all but a week doesn't go by where you see one walking head in mobile phone whilst it's shitting or bounding up to strangers miles away totally oblivious.

Or you get those that shout "don't worry he's friendly", I'm sure I've seen that before in the news where a dog has attacked out of character. 

Not everyone loves dogs and other dogs may not love yours, get it on a lead ffs!

Out in public mines on a lead all the time, unless we're on the field and nobody is around. Luckily we have open fields a 5 min walk away that you rarely see anyone on, avoid parks completely.

Mates got a super big garden with 2 Dalmations we take him round for that interaction with other dogs.

I've got a Jack Russell that gets excited to see everyone, try and cross the road now if I see people as they have that look of he wants to attack when really he wants to jump up and lick your face.

As for cats If there was a way to stop mine venturing in other peoples gardens, shitting, going after wildlife whilst letting them live a normal happy healthy life I would do it today. There just isn't, and that's not me being inconsiderate, Sure many would do the same. 

Sith Happens
11 minutes ago, David said:

Not read all the topic to be honest but I agree a dog should be trained, not sure you can train one not to attack cats specifically but it should have the basic drop and recall to use. 

Dog owners are the worst I've come across for being inconsiderate, obviously not all but a week doesn't go by where you see one walking head in mobile phone whilst it's shitting or bounding up to strangers miles away totally oblivious.

Or you get those that shout "don't worry he's friendly", I'm sure I've seen that before in the news where a dog has attacked out of character. 

Not everyone loves dogs and other dogs may not love yours, get it on a lead ffs!

Out in public mines on a lead all the time, unless we're on the field and nobody is around. Luckily we have open fields a 5 min walk away that you rarely see anyone on, avoid parks completely.

Mates got a super big garden with 2 Dalmations we take him round for that interaction with other dogs.

I've got a Jack Russell that gets excited to see everyone, try and cross the road now if I see people as they have that look of he wants to attack when really he wants to jump up and lick your face.

As for cats If there was a way to stop mine venturing in other peoples gardens, shitting, going after wildlife whilst letting them live a normal happy healthy life I would do it today. There just isn't, and that's not me being inconsiderate, Sure many would do the same. 

I love dogs too but dont have one, but i dont always love other peoples dogs.

Those that are let off the lead and running in water or mud and jump up you and the owners think its funny and everyone should be amused by it. Or the dog that i witnessed last week on a picnic jump all over someones blanket and run off with half the food.

thanks @David for at least attempting to get the thread back on topic with some doggy pics.

Can you please start a thread on cats wearing bells and move all non-dog related posts in there please? thanks

I don't 'get' cats. Don't dislike them, just don't understand the point.

I'm a massive dog person, but lifestyle and work means I can't give one a good life so haven't had one away from parents home growing up.

We have a cat though. Big ball of fur. Loves the garden and our house.

Love little terrier dogs and little scruffy things that look like they would chase a flat football around a field all day if they could.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Insult? Where? 

Calling them pointless, Freddie was reading over my shoulder and said well he's pointless as well. Don't piss a cat off, you never know when they might scratch you!

5 minutes ago, David said:

Calling them pointless, Freddie was reading over my shoulder and said well he's pointless as well. Don't piss a cat off, you never know when they might scratch you!

I never said they were pointless, I said that I don't see the point. Big difference.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I never said they were pointless, I said that I don't see the point. Big difference.

I don't see the point in splitting the topic now, I've won the debate, here have another dog pic. (Mates rat...sorry dog) 

IMG_0092.JPG

• 4 months later...

People who get dogs and the say they can not keep them for... any reason really get my goat. 

Oh, you live on a rental and never thought something might change? It's a rental. Can't factor in your lovely dog now? You're a c***. 

The dog's digging up your garden and you, can't keep it? Devote some time to exercising the dog you small minded idiot.  You're a c***. 

Can't afford the dog any longer? b*******. They cost next to nothing to feed (unless it's the size of a small horse,  in which case I'm sure you did your homework), and they give back far more than they ever take. You're a c***. 

Etc,  etc. 

Dogs.

i like them. I like to pat or stroke them as i'm passing.....but they are just walking shiitting machines.

I would hate to have to pick up a hot sloppy dog turd

46 minutes ago, scarboroughwa said:

People who get dogs and the say they can not keep them for... any reason really get my goat. 

Oh, you live on a rental and never thought something might change? It's a rental. Can't factor in your lovely dog now? You're a c***. 

The dog's digging up your garden and you, can't keep it? Devote some time to exercising the dog you small minded idiot.  You're a c***. 

Can't afford the dog any longer? b*******. They cost next to nothing to feed (unless it's the size of a small horse,  in which case I'm sure you did your homework), and they give back far more than they ever take. You're a c***. 

Etc,  etc. 

Thanks for brightening up my Saturday:lol:.

One of mine is now the size of a small horse (55kg) and still got a little bit to go.

Costs me 40 quid a month to feed her and  a 45 kg GSD on top quality grub,a bargain for what they give back.

We got a Rottie a month ago, (she's 13 weeks now) what an intelligent, loving, fun dog she is. Gets on great with our other two (a Jack Russell/Sausage dog cross and a Labradoodle) and I'm confident she's going be a social, well behaved adult.

People choose a dog to enhance their deficiencies or lack of self esteem are c****, fine breeds are tarnished by these people, we've had it already, "What do you want one of them for" ? the raised eyebrows from the bloke across the road who was one of the first to make a fuss of our Mastiffs throughout their lives.

Dogs, any breed, are only as bad as their owners allow them to be.

Archived