Dogs

scarboroughwa

Sith Happens
47 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

So that makes it ok to set your dog on them? Not really does it? 

No it doesnt, i was just saying why people might hate cats more than dogs.

Probably didnt read your post correctly sorry.

That said I wish Cat owners would realise my Rabbits mean as much to me as their cats and maybe they could consider putting a bell on their collar to alert my Rabbits that they are coming,

I know Cat owners say they dont work, but I know they do as ive witnessed it first hand.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

That said I wish Cat owners would realise my Rabbits mean as much to me as their cats and maybe they could consider putting a bell on their collar to alert my Rabbits that they are coming,

I know Cat owners say they dont work, but I know they do as ive witnessed it first hand.

I'm only trying to make a point that a pet is a pet no matter what form it takes and as such are part of the family. 

Took my little one to meet some cockapoo puppies that a friend was breeding - on the strict condition that we didn't bring one back. Would love a dog but not while we're out of the house all day.

Gorgeous. Only £1500 as well!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Sith Happens
10 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I'm only trying to make a point that a pet is a pet no matter what form it takes and as such are part of the family. 

I agree. My point was i think Cat owners could try and take a bit more responsibility for their pets thats all.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Took my little one to meet some cockapoo puppies that a friend was breeding - on the strict condition that we didn't bring one back. Would love a dog but not while we're out of the house all day.

Gorgeous. Only £1500 as well!

FullSizeRender.jpg

Want one.

49 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I agree. My point was i think Cat owners could try and take a bit more responsibility for their pets thats all.

It's quite difficult really. I'm strongly against house cats. They are animals and are not supposed to be caged imo 

Sith Happens
15 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

It's quite difficult really. I'm strongly against house cats. They are animals and are not supposed to be caged imo 

Yeah i wouldnt say that, as i said a bell would be a good start. Not only would it alert peoples animals but also the owners.

If a cat comes on our garden i hose it to get rid of it.

2 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Yeah i wouldnt say that, as i said a bell would be a good start. Not only would it alert peoples animals but also the owners.

If a cat comes on our garden i hose it to get rid of it.

That's fine, water doesn't hurt a cat and probably will deter it. 

For what it's worth, I have a dog and I can't abide other people's dogs. If they come jumping up and slobbering over me I'm repulsed! 

5 hours ago, Paul71 said:

I had a rabbit that lived in the house with a german shepherd a few years back,a great pair,they loved each other.

8 hours ago, Paul71 said:

What lengths do you go to to protect your rabbits??

Maybe you should be more responsible than leaving a rabbit outside unsupervised in unprotected, open air conditions when you know there's a danger of it being attacked by another animal?

Just playing Devil's advocate btw, not actually having a pop or anything.

Sith Happens
9 hours ago, Coconut said:

What lengths do you go to to protect your rabbits??

Maybe you should be more responsible than leaving a rabbit outside unsupervised in unprotected, open air conditions when you know there's a danger of it being attacked by another animal?

Just playing Devil's advocate btw, not actually having a pop or anything.

A lot actually. their hutch is locked behind padlocked extra security at night with security lights to deter foxes. And also during the day with a run area so they arent confined to their hutch.

That said i dont believe its right a rabbit should be confined to a hutch or even a pen, if you see a rabbit running free kicking its legs then you understand.

We do only let them run free when we are home and can keep an eye on them, but yes there is always a risk you turn your back and something can attack. I suppose thats no different to the risk a cat owner takes everytime it lets them out, there is always a chance its going to be the last time you see the cat, it could get run over or attacked by a dog. In 25 years of keeping rabbits there has only been one cat thats actually got hold of a rabbit before i could intervene and thankfully i was able to intervene quickly enough for the rabbit to be uninjured and the cat to get a boot up its arse, so i would say im doing a fairly decent job. And to be honest I'd rather a rabbit be taken by a cat or a fox at the age of 5 having had plenty of fresh air and excercise than a rabbit live to 10 but be locked in a hutch all day.

My point is if cat owners took more responsibility, as i stated a simple bell on their collar, my risk and other rabbit/guinea pig owners risk would be reduced further. Its a discussion ive had before and cat owners tend to be of the opinion they are annoying to them personally. So take it off when its in the house? Surely not that difficult. Then cat owners say well keep your rabbits in a pen.

So it seems, just in my experience that is, that cat owners feel A) A dog should not attack their cat if a cat strays onto the dog owners land, but B) All other pet owners should be the ones solely responsible from preventing an attack by their cat on their pets. 

Sith Happens
28 minutes ago, Coconut said:

Excellent, well thought out, fair and unbiased response :thumbsup:

I am quite biased to be fair. I'd actually prefer if cats didnt come on my garden at all, not just because of my pets but i dont enjoy cleaning up behind them either.

Our neighbours have a cat, which is not kept indoors, but never leaves their garden, weird. Wish all cat owners could get their cats to behave like that.

On the bell on a collar, where we used to live some nearby neighbours had a young cat around the time we started keeping rabbits.

He had a bell on his collar and it was interesting to watch as he was clearly interested in stalking our rabbits. Sadly for him the bell alerted them and he wss never able to do it, this progressed to a point where he lost interest in attacking them and bonded with them, on many occasions we would witness a big bundle of fur cat and rabbits sunbathing together.

It was also good for us susually there is a dominant cat in the area and he was that cat, so if any other cats came he would chase them off our garden.

So I am not totally anti cats, just wish all owners could take the same precautions as they did.

It's not the cats fault its the owners. The problem is that owners get a cat and do not realise how to manage it.

Once the gooey eye days of it been a fluffy little kitty have passed and its now not fun being scratched or having the curtains climbed, out the door it goes and a cat will revert to type.

A cat will demand attention, if you don't provide it as the owner it will find other methods to get it.

I have 2 cats (and one dog). Mine don't wear collars as I've not managed to find one that suits. The quick snap ones are useless as they just get them off and the elastic ones they get so upset by them that they get their legs caught under and risk injury. I'd love them to wear collars and bells. It's upsetting if they go for birds. I'm an animal lover and don't distinguish, they're all entitled to live without being hurt, we even have humane traps for when the cats bring mice in. We live rurally and we liberate them back to the fields. 

Way back when I had my first cat, next door used to feed pigeons, a lot of them, around 100 wouldn't be an exaggeration. Once kitten turned to cat I was chasing pigeons round my house that the ****** brought in.

He had a bell. Noisy thing it was. Didn't matter at all. 

At least the mice he got killed them first before bringing them in.

Also had 2 rabbits, one was ******* huge, big giant one, had an outside shed for them, would always find the cat in there curled up next to them. 

When it came to play time he was more scared of them than they were him.

Not saying every cat is like him and that bells never work but they are not fool proof alert other animals either. 

Sith Happens
12 minutes ago, David said:

Way back when I had my first cat, next door used to feed pigeons, a lot of them, around 100 wouldn't be an exaggeration. Once kitten turned to cat I was chasing pigeons round my house that the ****** brought in.

He had a bell. Noisy thing it was. Didn't matter at all. 

At least the mice he got killed them first before bringing them in.

Also had 2 rabbits, one was ******* huge, big giant one, had an outside shed for them, would always find the cat in there curled up next to them. 

When it came to play time he was more scared of them than they were him.

Not saying every cat is like him and that bells never work but they are not fool proof alert other animals either. 

No they arent, but for me thats not an excuse not to use one.

Sith Happens
1 hour ago, McRamFan said:

It's not the cats fault its the owners. The problem is that owners get a cat and do not realise how to manage it.

Once the gooey eye days of it been a fluffy little kitty have passed and its now not fun being scratched or having the curtains climbed, out the door it goes and a cat will revert to type.

A cat will demand attention, if you don't provide it as the owner it will find other methods to get it.

I think that goes the same for most pets.

Our rabbits are adopted ones because people have given them up as dont want them anymore, once again people want them when they are cute cuddly but when they grow up not so much anymore.

22 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

No they arent, but for me thats not an excuse not to use one.

Don't need an excuse, if the owner doesn't want to put a bell on that's their choice, no law that says they must wear one. 

Archived