Beer Thread

Cisse

Brewdog Punk IPA.

Tbh I've been avoided Brewdog beers so far, can't stand their hipster tag, but this is lovely stuff, not so overpowering as American IPA's tend to be and hides it's strength well.

Having tried the ruby beer too, I think I'll put preconceptions aside from now on.

6 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Yeah some of their beer is annoyingly quite nice, but can't be doing with that bro culture nonsense that they peddle

I thought i was the only person who thought like this. :)

Same here Stive. Could be the finest beer in all the land but if it's marketed in a manner i find annoying then i won't buy it. Yes i'm odd.

That aside, i don't know if anyone has tried the St Peters range of beers? They come in a sort of old fashioned mead bottle shape and had Ruby Ale, Organic and even a gluten free bottle. It's nice stuff and the bottle is damned heavy! I think they are from Bungay in Suffolk.

My favourite brewery ever though are Wold Top from near back home in Hunmanby, Filey. They do a superb range including a 6% Scarborough Fair IPA gluten free and one other gluten free called Against The Grain which is about 4% i think. They do a lot more others including Wold Gold. Superb. Never used to be able to buy them down this neck of the woods but they are available in some places.

15 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

My favourite brewery ever though are Wold Top from near back home in Hunmanby, Filey. They do a superb range including a 6% Scarborough Fair IPA gluten free and one other gluten free called Against The Grain which is about 4% i think.

You gluten-intolerant then? I'm reliably informed that gluten levels in most real ale is tiny, but to be certified as gluten-free involves an awful lot of effort to send off regular samples etc so hardly any breweries bother with it

9 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

You gluten-intolerant then? I'm reliably informed that gluten levels in most real ale is tiny, but to be certified as gluten-free involves an awful lot of effort to send off regular samples etc so hardly any breweries bother with it

Yes Stive. I can have gluten and occasionally I do so when there is no other option (convenience really) but it's not that often. I have reactions like skin rashes, headaches, really bad motions and cramps and brain fog, lethargy but nothing as serious as those who have celiac.

There are some breweries now who are brewing gluten free beers and not really making a song and dance about it, they can often be found alongside the ordinary beers. It's just a case of reading the label. Others get their bottles marketed on some GF section at £3 plus a bottle which you can't blame but i wouldn't buy them. Bought one once, Hambletons or something and it was pretty ropey.

The Scarborough Fair Wold Top is not even advertised gluten free and you'd not know unless you read the smallprint and guarantee at the back of the bottle. I've got that at £1.80 a bottle which for a gluten free beer that tastes great and 6% is superb.

Just ordered 24 Duvel and 24 La Guillotine from Kurt.

The Duvel is just to keep the overall price down and to stop the Memsahib from giving me GBH of the earhole.

La Guillotine is a new beer for me - brewed by Huyghe, the brewery who produce Delirium - it's an 8.5% multi-grain offering (barley, wheat and oats, the latter is supposed to give it a very smooth mouth-feel). One of my favourite beers is Tripel Karmeleit which is also an 'oaty' one, so if this is anything like that, it will be on the re-order list.

On 24 October 2016 at 23:14, eddie said:

Just ordered 24 Duvel and 24 La Guillotine from Kurt.

The Duvel is just to keep the overall price down and to stop the Memsahib from giving me GBH of the earhole.

La Guillotine is a new beer for me - brewed by Huyghe, the brewery who produce Delirium - it's an 8.5% multi-grain offering (barley, wheat and oats, the latter is supposed to give it a very smooth mouth-feel). One of my favourite beers is Tripel Karmeleit which is also an 'oaty' one, so if this is anything like that, it will be on the re-order list.

You need some of the elusive Westvleteren quadruple, like rocking horse poo I heard, bet Kurts not got any of that.

29 minutes ago, Boycie said:

You need some of the elusive Westvleteren quadruple, like rocking horse poo I heard, bet Kurts not got any of that.

Have you been reading PMs between Sage and me? We were discussing the WV12 about 2 minutes ago, the fact that he had one in Milan and I haven't yet.

Kurt sells the WV12 at around 14 Euros a bottle. I plan to have one on Christmas Day.

1 hour ago, dog said:

Oakham's Citra. Bit of a summer drink but it's not cold enough for the winter ales yet. 

So, a question 

1. Best session ale

2. Best summer ale

3. Best winter ale

1. Brugse Zot

2. Saison Dupont

3. Gouden Carolus Christmas

Went for a works night out in Manchester on Thursday and got taken to a place called Alberts Schloss. German Beer keller place with all German Bier's on tap. 

Reccomend for something different. 

Also went to some back street pub where the bitter was £1.90 a pint.....

2 hours ago, dog said:

A couple of beers and a glass or two of red.

Not exactly the best preparation for the Derby 10 miler in the morning. ..

Oh yes it is..... one of my London marathons was preceded by 3 or 4 Guinness's and a Chinese ?????

enjoy your run for whatever reason you are doing it ?