Good footballers can adapt

Day

Never truer words spoken and I could not agree more with Mr Butterfield. The adjustment period can be frustrating when you're paying good money to watch and travel in some cases, I feel it in my pocket as well, but this is great to hear from a player when I often read on this forum that 4-3-3 is the only way.

Good footballers can adapt, yes they do.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Dcfc10 said:

So why have we gone on a bad run adapting to a differant formation then. its true footballers can adapt but they have to be good in first place and we have few of them.

Like any changes you make to a team, be it new signings, formation, style, tactics, sometimes it just clicks straight away, other times it can take longer to adjust.

No magic wand in football.

It's why new managers and the players must be given time and paitience to get it right.

Ipswich and Bristol City were better performances, continue that against Blackburn with the result this time, confidence will creep back in and more results will follow with hopefully better football on the eye.

22 minutes ago, David said:

Like any changes you make to a team, be it new signings, formation, style, tactics, sometimes it just clicks straight away, other times it can take longer to adjust.

It's why new managers and the players must be given time and paitience to get it right.

Ipswich and Bristol City were better performances, continue that against Blackburn with the result this time, confidence will creep back in and more results will follow with hopefully better football on the eye.

I do hope so. We also need some luck.

25 minutes ago, David said:

Stop being the voice of common sense and reason David... We don't come on here for realism...

:D

Well they better adapt quickly over the next two games, as I've just had a look at our fixtures for October & we will be playing many of the in form sides right now which is rather worrying.

Reading, Brentford, Huddersfield, Sheffield Wednesday, will all be very tough. As for Leeds, our recent record against them isn't good either.

16 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Stop being the voice of common sense and reason David... We don't come on here for realism...

:D

I come here for the beer threads.

Why can't we have more beer threads?

54 minutes ago, David said:

This, very much this!

Do the people who believe we'll still be 20th come May also believe Huddersfield will still be top and Barnsley in the play offs!? 

It's disappointing if this season does become one of transition, but I'd rather that and then push next year giving Pearson time to make the squad his own than have the knee jerk reaction of calling for Pearson's head after 8 league games! 

14 minutes ago, eddie said:

I come here for the beer threads.

Why can't we have more beer threads?

Over to you mate... Beer thread away... Let me know when you've started and I'll come chip in...

8 minutes ago, Gaspode said:

He's not been the same since he changed his username - seems to think he's some sort of grown-up nowadays....;)

I know it's sad isn't it... These people with their 'responsibility'... I think it's the podcast too...

13 minutes ago, mrdave85 said:

It's disappointing if this season does become one of transition, but I'd rather that and then push next year giving Pearson time to make the squad his own than have the knee jerk reaction of calling for Pearson's head after 8 league games! 

Why, what signs in 8 games (& preseason) have you seen of Pearson adapting?!

Bale, Henry, Van Persie, Schweinsteiger all World Class players at some stage in their careers after they were moved into different positions. As Butterfield says, good footballers can adapt, all it takes is a different set of eyes on a player and it doesn't happen overnight.

Ancelotti and Wenger both World Class managers, both totally different views on Henry.

We may not have seen Will Hughes best position yet, he's still young and different managers will have their own views on the role he can play.

Who knew Dean Moxey was a great striker and Robbie Savage a quality keeper :ph34r:

3 minutes ago, 86 points said:

@David good thing it's your forum mate.  Posting that kind of reasoned thinking would have some frothing like a macchiato by now were it anyone else.

I've seen others post like this tbh although we do seem to be in the minority at the moment, my opinions don't matter anymore than others, 99% of the time my posts are all that, personal opinions, don't expect or want them to be held higher because I pay the bills for this place. 

Don't get me wrong in all this as well, I might come across as a "happy clapper", far from it, it's been hard watching the football now and I'm getting no enjoyment what so ever with what's been served up so far, especially when we've seen how good it can be with the majority of these players.

5hr round trip to watch what has mostly been utter ***** and there's no improvement in the hot dogs either, how the hell can you serve crunchy hot dogs?

Doesn't mean we have to treat our players like a bunch of numb nuts that know no different and we could be even better given half a chance.

No footballer can go his entire career playing the same role in the same formation under every manager. 

I guess I'm blessed with more patience than others and a desire to see stability, if that means taking a step backwards to go even further forwards I'm up for it.

Pearson may not be the right man, but I'm giving him more than 8 games to prove himself.

Archived