Paul Clement speaks to Talksport, then HITC write an article about it

Curtains

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Being chairman of a football club is always at least one out of

• An ego trip
  • A labour of love
  • A popularity contest
  • A business venture

but I don't think that it can ever be more than two.

I think it could be all four, but then i don't think that ould end well. I'm not entirely certain how many of those apply to Mel Morris. I'm of the opinion that the bet chairmen tend to think of them as mainly business venture's  with a little bit of love on the side.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, eddie said:

It was such a massive change of direction - he basically abandoned the previous direction the club was taking under McClaren and Clement at the drop of a hat. Motivation to sack a head coach after 7 or 8 adverse results and replace him like-for-like is one thing (as he did with the temporary appointment of Darren Wassall) - but I think that the reception given to Wassall after the Rotherham capitulation had an awful lot to do with causing the end-of-season about-turn.

Hand on heart do you think the fans would of taken to Wassall  after the playoff debacle at home to Hull when effectively the tie was lost .

That put Mel Morris and Sam Rush in a difficult position and the appointment of Nigel Pearson was what a lot of fans wanted 

It is only 5 games in and even if we lose tomorrow apart from fan meltdown it won't be a disaster in the long term scheme of things  

We are where we are even if you don't agree with the change of direction which I dispute bye the way .

I think Pearson has  the most difficult job in the Championship as I have said before due to fan expectations not yours I might  add   

5 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Not one person on this thread has asked for chairman/owner out, you are deliberately twisting things for Melodrama.

I dispute that to be honest. 

If I was Mel Morris I'd be very  dissappointed with some fans reaction .

16 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

No I don't want him out. He's a Derby fan, he cares obviously. Besides, who would take over from him?

I think you may have missed the last sentence of my post where I said I DON'T think it was fan pressure that led to the change in direction.

Sorry  I missed that but I do believe fan pressure is a massive thing in football these days. 

Maybe you are right but Pearson was being advocated by a lot of Derby Fans. 

The change of direction is still subjective IMO it's more a change in the playing style I'd say. 

We are still going down the academy route etc. 

32 minutes ago, eddie said:

When we had the breakfast sans sausage, Mel asked me who I wanted to see as manager of Derby County.

I said "Steve McClaren".

That makes 2 of us, obviously meaning at that very time. Still think he shouldn't have gone in first place. But hey ho history 

Hope its not Pearson having to say why he left Derby next and I just hope the players back him .

Holloway seems to suggest good players can get a Manager the sack if they want too  

What he said in this DET Article  

Ian Holloway hits out at Derby County squad - but backs them to get a draw against Newcastle

There is a problem with the group of players at Derby County, according to Sky Sports pundit Ian Holloway.

Holloway has been previewing the Rams' Championship showdown with Newcastle United at the iPro Stadium on Saturday (5.30pm), which is being shown live on Sky.

The former Crystal Palace, Queens Park Rangers, Blackpool and Leicester City boss reckons that changes need to be made at Derby - but thinks manager Nigel Pearson is the right man for the job.

"There are players at Derby that need to move on," Holloway told the Sky Sports website. "Sometimes, as a manager, you can do more good by getting rid of players than bringing some in.

"They still need to learn how to win as a group - it's not how good you are as individuals. It looks as though there's a problem with that group of players.

"I can't imagine Nigel Pearson putting up with that type of attitude for one minute. Good players get managers the sack if they don't galvanise and work together.

"Pearson is the right man to turn that around, though. He took over when I failed at Leicester with a really poor group of people and got them pulling in the right direction."

Despite those comments, Holloway is predicting that Derby will get a 2-2 draw against title favourites Newcastle.

"This is obviously a tough fixture for Derby but they do have the ability to turn it on at any point," he added. "This is a game that might suit them.

READ MORE: Derby midfielder an injury doubt for Newcastle clash

"If Derby turn up with the right mentality, then they could get something. I think they will."

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/ian-holloway-hits-out-at-derby-county-squad-but-backs-them-to-get-a-draw-against-newcastle/story-29700381-detail/story.html#c914fZjZtoEFBC7g.99

7 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

If Mel has tossed the Derby Way aside, it's because enough fans were vocal enough in mocking it. The bloke cannot win. Personally I see it as admission the players don't fit in to the ethos more than the system or management.

Not really, he wasn't following his instructions at the time. He wasn't towing the line. If you do that and go against your job spec, you'll lose your job too. I'd imagine Pearson has agreed to some instructions, which may or may not be different.

as I say above, maybe after 3 years of choking, there has been realisation that players do not fit into the mentality needed to succeed.

That depends if you thought we choked for 3 years. 85points, top scorers and then dominating but losing 1-0 in the 90th isn't choking to me

Neither is being top of the league before multiple injuries to 2 specific areas of the team. Say what you like but if any team loses 2 strikers and 3 DM's. Bloody heck, Man City lost Aguero and are worried. They've got better back up strikers than most their opponents this season

Last season? Yeah, maybe. 

Amazes me how people ignore this stuff like it didn't factor.

Jump straight to stuff like they're all bottle jobs, don't care, no passion, bang average, get rid 

30 minutes ago, Alpha said:

That depends if you thought we choked for 3 years. 85points, top scorers and then dominating but losing 1-0 in the 90th isn't choking to me

Neither is being top of the league before multiple injuries to 2 specific areas of the team. Say what you like but if any team loses 2 strikers and 3 DM's. Bloody heck, Man City lost Aguero and are worried. They've got better back up strikers than most their opponents this season

Last season? Yeah, maybe. 

Amazes me how people ignore this stuff like it didn't factor.

Jump straight to stuff like they're all bottle jobs, don't care, no passion, bang average, get rid 

well, it'd be hard to argue that our players just haven't got that extra couple of % needed to see the job through. ALL teams have injuries at some point, thats why it's a team game.

It seems to me that Pearson is going through a review of the team to see who is and who isn't strong enough.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, it'd be hard to argue that our players just haven't got that extra couple of % needed to see the job through. ALL teams have injuries at some point, thats why it's a team game.

It seems to me that Pearson is going through a review of the team to see who is and who isn't strong enough.

Hope he can review some of the fanbase as well.....

20 hours ago, robglosta said:

I don't subscribe to this 'if he's not good in three months; he's s--t' ethos, though.  As alluded to earlier, we were 5 points off top when he was booted out!  

We were 5 points off top but Christ we were playing woefully and I couldn't see where the next win was coming from... 

46 minutes ago, TelTheRam said:

As opposed to where we are now - 8 points off top, playing woefully and can't see where next win is coming from.

How about Tomorrow? As we always seem like playing well against Newcastle though... 

Archived