Bradley Johnson and the Penalty Shoot-out

randombc

Just came back from the match, and obviously buzzing with the win, however they come, name in the hat and all that.

But, did anyone notice how Bradley Johnson didn't take a penalty. Players were constantly looking over at the touchline when they were 6 or 7 spot kicks in and Carson was penalty take number 10 instead of 11 and then it rolled back around to Ince? I'm not sure if he was injured (like Lowe was but still took one), in which case fair enough (I didn't have the radio with me)! Yet the disappointing thing for me was he was not on the touchline supporting his teammates. Unless there is some rule that suggest all injured players must be off the field of play I find this rather perculiar, and could suggest his (and some other players) downturn in form? Could he be such a bad team player that he didn't want to be there?

Pure speculation of course, he may have had a dodgy curry and really needed a $hit! 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, randombc said:

Just came back from the match, and obviously buzzing with the win, however they come, name in the hat and all that.

But, did anyone notice how Bradley Johnson didn't take a penalty. Players were constantly looking over at the touchline when they were 6 or 7 spot kicks in and Carson was penalty take number 10 instead of 11 and then it rolled back around to Ince? I'm not sure if he was injured (like Lowe was but still took one), in which case fair enough (I didn't have the radio with me)! Yet the disappointing thing for me was he was not on the touchline supporting his teammates. Unless there is some rule that suggest all injured players must be off the field of play I find this rather perculiar, and could suggest his (and some other players) downturn in form? Could he be such a bad team player that he didn't want to be there?

Pure speculation of course, he may have had a dodgy curry and really needed a $hit! 

Bang to the head mate, not just a muscle injury with a bit of ice. Probably had to have some checks done

2 minutes ago, randombc said:

He was injured and was in the dug out receiving treatment at the start of the shoot out not sure if he went down the tunnel during it though.

Interesting to know what the rules say as he was on the pitch at final whistle, I think we should have took him off before. The ref looked like he had no idea also when it got to penalty 10 as I mentioned in the match thread.

1 hour ago, Rich84 said:

Interesting to know what the rules say as he was on the pitch at final whistle, I think we should have took him off before. The ref looked like he had no idea also when it got to penalty 10 as I mentioned in the match thread.

Definitely a strange one and you're right that if he was unable to take a pen we should have made damn sure he wasn't on the pitch at the final whistle as the laws of the game state that makes him an "eligible player" and "Each kick is taken by a different player and all eligible players must take a kick before any player can take a second kick".

The rules also instruct the referee before the shootout to make sure both teams have the same number of eligible players and, if not, agreeing at that point which of the Carlisle players (in this case) would not take a kick if it went that far.

It sounds to me as though we and the ref screwed up. The defence will probably be that the fourth official checked Bradley out and in his opinion the player was unable to continue into penalties. Or this was the medical opinion that he was unable to contradict.

I hope it ends up brushed under the carpet, but we might not have heard the last of this.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Definitely a strange one and you're right that if he was unable to take a pen we should have made damn sure he wasn't on the pitch at the final whistle as the laws of the game state that makes him an "eligible player" and "Each kick is taken by a different player and all eligible players must take a kick before any player can take a second kick".

The rules also instruct the referee before the shootout to make sure both teams have the same number of eligible players and, if not, agreeing at that point which of the Carlisle players (in this case) would not take a kick if it went that far.

It sounds to me as though we and the ref screwed up. The defence will probably be that the fourth official checked Bradley out and in his opinion the player was unable to continue into penalties. Or this was the medical opinion that he was unable to contradict.

I hope it ends up brushed under the carpet, but we might not have heard the last of this.

So what happems if a player tears a hamstring as the ref blows the final whistle? Technically hes still eligible but woukd be unfair to ask him to take a penalty.

Head imjuries can be funny ones too and can have delayed sympfoms. I remember taking a heavy blow to the head playing rugby, i was fine and carried on playing but an hour later went dizzy and almost passed out. 

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Fifa rules include this

If a player is injured or sent off during the taking of kicks

from the penalty marks and the team has one player less,
the referee should not reduce the number of players
taking kicks for the other team. An equal number of
players from each team is required only at the start of the
taking of kicks from the penalty mark

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/afdeveloping/refereeing/law_14_the_penalty_kick_en_47369.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwib_IDNmtnOAhXOzRoKHYGZD9EQFghQMA4&usg=AFQjCNGIn-jz8itMiAxpEhsKUUgMqXJpHg&sig2=cThSJp_h9GgILUHuNPXwBw

No screw up at all, the ref was probably just checking with the fourth official that Johnson had gone off injured during the shootout]

4 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

You really have a bee in your bonnet, trying to blame everyone for everything.

Carlisle should have deselcted a player from the line up to take penalties yesterday I think, as we only had 10 men on the pitch- according to the rules the deselcted penalty taker cannot play as goalkeeper-

Only players who were on the pitch at the end of play will be allowed to participate in the shoot-out.[7] If one side has more players on the pitch than the other, whether as a result of injury or red cards, then the side with more players must select some players who will not take part. For example, if Team A has 11 players but Team B only has 10, then Team A will choose one player who will not take part. Players chosen this way cannot play any part in the procedure, including acting as goalkeeper. The rule was introduced by the International Football Association Board in February 2000 because previously an eleventh kick would be taken by the eleventh (i.e. weakest) player of a full-strength team and the first (i.e. strongest) player of a sub-strength team.[9] A rule change in 2016 eliminated the potential for a team to gain such an advantage if a player is injured or sent off during the shoot-out

6 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

If he's injured then he is removed from the field of play, we only had 10 men. It's no different to if he had been strecthered off and we had no subs left or we had someone sent off and they didn't it would still be 10 vs 11. 

If he is unfit to continue the player cannot be then recalled to the field and made to stand and take a penalty. 

2 hours ago, WystonRam said:

Carlisle should have deselcted a player from the line up to take penalties yesterday I think, as we only had 10 men on the pitch- according to the rules the deselcted penalty taker cannot play as goalkeeper-

Only players who were on the pitch at the end of play will be allowed to participate in the shoot-out.[7] If one side has more players on the pitch than the other, whether as a result of injury or red cards, then the side with more players must select some players who will not take part. For example, if Team A has 11 players but Team B only has 10, then Team A will choose one player who will not take part. Players chosen this way cannot play any part in the procedure, including acting as goalkeeper. The rule was introduced by the International Football Association Board in February 2000 because previously an eleventh kick would be taken by the eleventh (i.e. weakest) player of a full-strength team and the first (i.e. strongest) player of a sub-strength team.[9] A rule change in 2016 eliminated the potential for a team to gain such an advantage if a player is injured or sent off during the shoot-out

So the ref has messed up? Their keeper had to be one of the 10?

11 hours ago, rynny said:

He was injured and was in the dug out receiving treatment at the start of the shoot out not sure if he went down the tunnel during it though.

Johnson went back down the tunnel after the shoot out and the tunnel cover had been extended. He had one of his boots off and was struggling to walk / was assisted down the tunnel. Looked like his ankle / calf. He watched it from the bench. Chris Powell was remonstrating with the 4th official / Carlisle lot and pointed at him injured injured on the bench. 

I think in the end common sense prevailed. I think all parties agreed that our keeper would take and their's wouldn't. I think Carson's penalty was a toe poke :D

11 hours ago, Kernow said:

I feel like if it was Hughes who didn't take a penalty because of an injury, the comments would be hoping he's okay rather than trying to blame him for not taking one.

Give the guy a break, scapegoat or what?

bang on comments

Can we please give Johnno a break. He was decent second half and extra time and got injured. why risk that for a penno

Archived