Live Game Thread 16/17

SaintRam

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Thought our fans were bad, Huddersfield fans booing at full time tonight. 

Maybe for the ref. Couple decent penalty shouts not given.

Good result, Huddersfield and Norwich are both badly out of form at the moment.

23 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

In English football there is an obsession with the referees.

So much talk about them. Everybody knows their names. 'Ref watch', MOTD interviews talking about the referees, having Howard Webb work with Sky or BT Sport commenting on every decision.

Even when referees get the decision correct, he still gets criticised for having bad positioning or delaying etc.

Jose Mourinho coming out afterwards saying X referee is a good one, one of the best... 

It never used to be like this, but it has crept into the English game more and more over the years and now it's a full on obsession to talk about the performance of the referee.

In no other sport do they do this, and in football in hardly any other country do they do this. Bundesliga, La Liga, Serie A, Ligue 1... Nobody talks about the referee. Nobody cares.

It's just another English mentality of laying the blame elsewhere for their own shortcomings. 

Definitely has come into the English game.

Probably a coincidence but seemed to come in around about the same time foreign players introduced blatant cheating into our game.

19 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Definitely has come into the English game.

Probably a coincidence but seemed to come in around about the same time foreign players introduced blatant cheating into our game.

Define cheating - and how foreign players have bought it into our game?

Diving by the way isn't cheating. FIFA made that abruptly clear when Arjen Robben admitted to doing it at the World Cup yet he didn't receive any ban afterwards.

Diving is part of the game. The same as feigning injury, and shirt-tugging.

It isn't cheating, otherwise you'd class every 'foul' as cheating.

3 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Haha.Nope,I'm a dee daa.Just don't like dirty Leeds.

No, I'm not either, it was a 'Je Suis Charlie' moment but without the horror and tragedy.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Define cheating - and how foreign players have bought it into our game?

Diving by the way isn't cheating. FIFA made that abruptly clear when Arjen Robben admitted to doing it at the World Cup yet he didn't receive any ban afterwards.

Diving is part of the game. The same as feigning injury, and shirt-tugging.

It isn't cheating, otherwise you'd class every 'foul' as cheating.

Doing something illegal to gain an unfair advantage.

Diving is cheating, always had been and always will be and it never existed in the English game 20 years ago...Just as talking about referees didn't.

The commentator just said "There's a real hard man watching tonight", as the camera panned to Norman Hunter in the crowd.

My lad asked if he was, and after watching, via Youtube, Franny Lee put him on his arse, agreed he wasn't really!

3 hours ago, reveldevil said:

The commentator just said "There's a real hard man watching tonight", as the camera panned to Norman Hunter in the crowd.

My lad asked if he was, and after watching, via Youtube, Franny Lee put him on his arse, agreed he wasn't really!

I suppose it'd be classed as un PC to say "there's a real dirty, cheating **** watching tonight".

9 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Doing something illegal to gain an unfair advantage.

Diving is cheating, always had been and always will be and it never existed in the English game 20 years ago...Just as talking about referees didn't.

So pretty much every professional foul or shirt grabbing is cheating in your book?

Diving has always been around. You only have to go on Youtube to find videos of the likes of Kevin Hector flopping to the ground with the slightest touch to win a penalty.

So pretty much every professional foul or shirt grabbing is cheating in your book?

Diving has always been around. You only have to go on Youtube to find videos of the likes of Kevin Hector flopping to the ground with the slightest touch to win a penalty.

Yes of course professional fouls are cheating hence why they are red card offences.

Short grabbing too yes.

out of the thousands of examples you could choose you sight Zak, jeez.  I could live with old Franny as the example but King Kev?

I hear that Bloomer was a bit of a cheat also, insisting on wasting time by lighting a fag before every free kick

Archived