Roberto Martinez

PodgeyRam

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think i'm the sole voice in favour of Martinez here. :o

I like his philosophy of trying to play the game in the right manner in terms of attacking, scoring lots of goals and entertaining fans. I'm of the persuasion that if I pay X amount of pounds to watch a football match, i'd rather see a 4-3 humdinger loss and come away with no breath left rather than a dour 1-0 win at leaving thinking I never ever wanted to go back, even it meant that the club I supported never won anything.

Different fans have different expectations and mine are just to see free flowing, rampant attacking football win, lose or draw. I'm pretty sure that most fans would want to see their team grind out 1-0's each week if it meant success and nowt wrong wi' that either.

Martinez has a Belgian side that, despite all their attacking quality always bore me to tears whenever I watch them. They always seem disjointed and lethargic and have failed miserably in two tournaments now, never looking on song. Roberto will make them all click i'm sure and the defence pretty much picks itself anyway with the exceptions of right full back and they have able replacements especially at centre half so in essence i'm not sure the side will differ an awful lot from the one in the Euros just that Martinez will get them purring again to great effect.

As always though with Martinez is the question of can they keep goals out at the other end?

It's an interesting appointment nonetheless and i'd like to see him do well. Seems an affable chap.

45 minutes ago, Tony Le Mesmer said:

I think i'm the sole voice in favour of Martinez here. :o

I like his philosophy of trying to play the game in the right manner in terms of attacking, scoring lots of goals and entertaining fans. I'm of the persuasion that if I pay X amount of pounds to watch a football match, i'd rather see a 4-3 humdinger loss and come away with no breath left rather than a dour 1-0 win at leaving thinking I never ever wanted to go back, even it meant that the club I supported never won anything.

Different fans have different expectations and mine are just to see free flowing, rampant attacking football win, lose or draw. I'm pretty sure that most fans would want to see their team grind out 1-0's each week if it meant success and nowt wrong wi' that either.

Martinez has a Belgian side that, despite all their attacking quality always bore me to tears whenever I watch them. They always seem disjointed and lethargic and have failed miserably in two tournaments now, never looking on song. Roberto will make them all click i'm sure and the defence pretty much picks itself anyway with the exceptions of right full back and they have able replacements especially at centre half so in essence i'm not sure the side will differ an awful lot from the one in the Euros just that Martinez will get them purring again to great effect.

As always though with Martinez is the question of can they keep goals out at the other end?

It's an interesting appointment nonetheless and i'd like to see him do well. Seems an affable chap.

I agree in terms of Martinez's philosophy. I find it hard to understand how his stock has fallen so far after one sub par season with Everton. The way people have reacted would make you think they got relegated. I think he'll do ok with Belgium, but I don't think they're actually as strong as everyone makes out. They gamed the FIFA ranking system to get to the top and ensure better seeding for themselves. I don't necessarily have an issue with that, but they aren't and never have been the best in Europe, never mind the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived