Good or Bad?

Grantona

Good thing or bad that only Hendrick has attracted serious interest from the Premier League this summer (and that only from yo-yo cheapskates Burnley)?

It's good to keep the squad intact but a bit worrying that so few - not including crown jewel Hughes - of Pearson's squad are deemed worth signing by top-flight squads.

Why does no top tier team seem to want Martin, Bryson, Russell, Ince, Thorne, Johnson, Weimann or Keogh, who must all be PL standard or very close to it?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The players mentioned have failed to get us out of the championship for 1-3 seasons. Hughes returned late last season from a bad injury. Are they really that attractive to other clubs is the question id ask. You could make arguments either way for all of them. 

Premier League teams seem to have some obsession that Premier League experience is worth more than gold dust... So keep spiralling through the same bottom end PL dross signings instread of taking a punt... Even though successive promoted teams have shown that there is plenty of talent in the Championship...

How people kept buying Jelavic rather than taking a punt on someone like Rhodes I have no idea...

Also a lack of media chatter does not equal a lack of interest. 

Following on from @Srg's point, I'd imagine a lot of our players are on a lot of shortlists, but teams see more accessible targets elsewhere.

We've been informed that Keogh, for example, was on Newcastle's shortlist. So why did they buy Hanley, who is worse than Keogh? Because they'd have to pay even further over the odds for Derby to accept a Keogh offer than they did for B'burn to accept the Hanley offer.

I'd also guess that what was reported last year that MM got a phone call about Martin, he said over 10 mil and they went scurrying off.

my point is we may have had several calls about availability of our players but like some have said we aren't under pressure to sell, until a time NP wants to sell then that will be made known to other clubs

I read somewhere that City are interested in Hughes, though I can't find where that was (maybe imagining it - you know what I'm like). Certainly we've got the kind of fitness/sports science set-up that might enable him to get and stay fit, and from the little I've seen he looks like a good player. I have a feeling that Pearson might want to try and sign Matty James, who's a defensive midfielder, to play alongside Hughes, but what do I know.

There's been a distinct lack of rumours of any sort leaking from the club recently.

Mel said last year that he was trying to cut those out as it sometimes hampered negotiations. Pearson also doesn't seem like the sort to be happy if staff or players start gossiping, so I reckon between the two, Mel and NP have been able to keep thing very tight.

Just now, CornwallRam said:

There's been a distinct lack of rumours of any sort leaking from the club recently.

Mel said last year that he was trying to cut those out as it sometimes hampered negotiations. Pearson also doesn't seem like the sort to be happy if staff or players start gossiping, so I reckon between the two, Mel and NP have been able to keep thing very tight.

Just a bit, I've never known it be this quiet on all fronts at this stage of the close season.

1 hour ago, Grantona said:

Good thing or bad that only Hendrick has attracted serious interest from the Premier League this summer (and that only from yo-yo cheapskates Burnley)?

It's good to keep the squad intact but a bit worrying that so few - not including crown jewel Hughes - of Pearson's squad are deemed worth signing by top-flight squads.

Why does no top tier team seem to want Martin, Bryson, Russell, Ince, Thorne, Johnson, Weimann or Keogh, who must all be PL standard or very close to it?

Martin - Slower than most Prem defenders, wouldn't really fit into a lot of team's systems

Bryson - Missed most of the season through injury and is the wrong side of 30

Russell - Insufficient end product for Prem.  He'd be one of the first to be sold if we went up

Ince - If most Rams fans are to be believed, he's a mercenary and isn't a team player

Thorne - Needs a full season of full fitness to convince anyone to take a gamble

Johnson - Why the f**k would anyone be interested in a player who can't pass the ball more than 10 yards?

Weimann - If he's not getting a game for us why would Tony Pulis want him?

Keogh - Was supposedly on Newcastle's radar before they signed Hanley.  It's possible they asked about him and we told them to do one, or they wouldn't meet our asking price.

I don't mind that we haven't heard much, this squad is good enough to do well in this league and I'd prefer to keep hold of the players above (bar Johnson) and shift more of the dead wood like Baird & Pearce

I think a lot of our players are unique. A lot of are players aren't conventional. They aren't particularly suited to a lot of teams in the bottom half of The Premier League.

Ince for example. He's at his best when he's given a free role in the final third, looking for pockets of space, getting the ball to feet and doing some damage. How many teams in the bottom half of the PL have a style of play that would allow him to do this? Bournemouth maybe? And how many of the bigger clubs who he would suit would be willing to have a punt on him? 

You mention Weimann and Johnson, who didn't suit us at all last season. But I actually think they'd suit a lot of teams in the bottom half of the PL quite well.  

9 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Johnson - Why the f**k would anyone be interested in a player who can't pass the ball more than 10 yards?

Fit, strong, good tackler, aerial beast. He'd suit a team quite well that aren't going to have much possession and will look to hit teams on the break and nick goals from set-pieces. 

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

Fit, strong, good tackler, aerial beast. He'd suit a team quite well that aren't going to have much possession and will look to hit teams on the break and nick goals from set-pieces. 

He's fit & strong, I'll give you that...

It's a very good thing clubs are not apparently sniffing around. It leads to unsettled players and/ or increased contracts to keep them. It leads to over inflated egos and general disruptive pre season build up. The only exception would be a silly offer for someone not key to our future, then sell straight away. The reason they are not apparently sniffing is with the obvious exception we have a team of better than average championship players. That's not to say some won't be Prem quality because they will, it's just hard to say who at this stage. I for one never thought Wes Morgon would ever be prem standard but shows how much I know. Lastly I doubt any deals are being kept quiet , surely Mr ram polis would have revealed all by now

35 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

He's fit & strong, I'll give you that...

Over the past five seasons he's won the ball back around 4.5 times per 90 minutes. Only Thorne and Hughes can beat this (over a fewer number of years).

Over the same period of time he's won 3.8 aerial duels per game and lost 1.7.  You'd expect that statistic from an ever age centre-half or average target man. Not a midfielder. 

2 hours ago, Grantona said:

From your list.....

Martin, Bryson, Russell, Johnson and Keogh are all championship players, not good enough at all for the top division, if we go up all of them would either be sold or would be subs.

Ince, Weimann and Thorne have all had their chance in the top division and failed to make any impact, if you aren't good enough for West Brom, Hull or Villa then you aren't going to get a move to Everton anytime soon are you? 

Archived