It will get worse before it gets better

Doodle

This season will be the first building block towards building a bigger and brighter future. Nigel will and should take his time to see what he has, what he doesn't want and what he needs to build a quality squad. I don't expect any major signings and nor should there be in this window. Clear out the deadwood, sell anyone who wants out then start again. There will be upset amongst the fans. Expecting instant results, why did he drop so and so, why didn't he pick him etc. We will not go up this year or possibly next. But I am certain we will within 3 years and then stay up. I've been a Derby fan for 40 years and I'm happy to wait that long to see us as a established top flight side again. I can't and won't forget what happened the last time we were promoted before we were ready. Anyone who thinks the Benfica game has any bearing on our short term or even medium term chances of success, should give up watching football and take up chasing Pokemon instead. 

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Doodle said:

This season will be the first building block towards building a bigger and brighter future. Nigel will and should take his time to see what he has, what he doesn't want and what he needs to build a quality squad. I don't expect any major signings and nor should there be in this window. Clear out the deadwood, sell anyone who wants out then start again. There will be upset amongst the fans. Expecting instant results, why did he drop so and so, why didn't he pick him etc. We will not go up this year or possibly next. But I am certain we will within 3 years and then stay up. I've been a Derby fan for 40 years and I'm happy to wait that long to see us as a established top flight side again. I can't and won't forget what happened the last time we were promoted before we were ready. Anyone who thinks the Benfica game has any bearing on our short term or even medium term chances of success, should give up watching football and take up chasing Pokemon instead. 

Cheers Mel :).

Agree with every word, we know this man's a good 'un, so let's give him the time he needs.

The frustrating thing for me is that we've rebuilt already. Five long years of clearing out the deadwood and bringing in fit, hungry and technical footballers, imprinting a style of play onto the team. Then we made a master stroke of an appointment to take us to the next level, with a brand of football that lit up the Championship.

I'm absolutely convinced that promotion in either 13/14 or 14/15 would have seen us survive comfortably up there and qualified for Europe within three years. 

One bad appointment and a spending spree that changed the face of the squad and left it unbalanced has set us back. The squad needs moderate surgery, whatever system we use. 

From a personal point of view giving  Darren 3 more years was a risk. The squad needed to evolve but so did Darren. They may have learned together but I feel as a novice Darren would not be able to command the respect Nigel will. As a result the players/ fans will have less tolerance to a bad run of results. By the way, I do expect Darren to be able to make a good living out of management. A bit like Steve Bruce, being competent is head and shoulders over mediocrity 

21 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm all for giving a manager time to build something.

But if that's what we wanted then why such the rush to get rid of Wassall? Why not give him 3 years to build?

Because his name is not Bob.

Maybe it was something was missing in Wassall during the 3 mths of Wassall's of being in charge. Mel had his reasons of moving Wassall back to the kids.

Anyway Mel has brought in experience, so let us back NP, I am sure he'll be a success here.

Not too sure its a rebuilding job, possibly more of a tweaking job.

What they need is STEEL  and the WlLL to get across the finish line   -   coupled with the understanding that they have to battle consistently from the beginning to the  end of the season if they are going to get to the Promised Land.  

Pearson has been appointed because that is his strength.

Just now, t'oldu said:

What they need is STEEL  and the WlLL to get across the finish line   -   coupled with the understanding that they have to

battle consistently from the beginning to the  end of the season if they are going to get to the Promised Land.  

Pearson has been appointed because that is his strength,

Leicetser had a collapse in 12/13 arguably worse than ours in 14/15.

13 minutes ago, cannable said:

The frustrating thing for me is that we've rebuilt already. Five long years of clearing out the deadwood and bringing in fit, hungry and technical footballers, imprinting a style of play onto the team. Then we made a master stroke of an appointment to take us to the next level, with a brand of football that lit up the Championship.

I'm absolutely convinced that promotion in either 13/14 or 14/15 would have seen us survive comfortably up there and qualified for Europe within three years. 

One bad appointment and a spending spree that changed the face of the squad and left it unbalanced has set us back. The squad needs moderate surgery, whatever system we use. 

Totally agree with the first season. Prem teams would not expect us to attack so much and we would have gained enough points at home to survive. Long term tho, not so sure. Did like Steve Mac a lot. But look no further than Newcastle to see how we would have done long term

28 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I'm all for giving a manager time to build something.

But if that's what we wanted then why such the rush to get rid of Wassall? Why not give him 3 years to build?

Maybe because it ended up having to be Wassall and Redknap. Maybe it'd always end up having to be Wassall and someone. 

Maybe Wassall was quite happy to go back to the U21s. We don't know he even wanted the job full time - he didn't seem to enjoy it that much. 

Just now, Doodle said:

Totally agree with the first season. Prem teams would not expect us to attack so much and we would have gained enough points at home to survive. Long term tho, not so sure. Did like Steve Mac a lot. But look no further than Newcastle to see how we would have done long term

If you look at our second season under McClaren we became more about controlling games than attacking. We adapted to teams in the Championship working us out, I don't see any reason to see why it would have been any different up there. 

We kept the ball better than most teams in the country in 14/15.

11 minutes ago, cannable said:

Leicetser had a collapse in 12/13 arguably worse than ours in 14/15.

Sorry..........I didn't know that.  Did they take fright? run out of steam ? overheat and implode ?  or was there a key injury??

They finished 6th. and lost the semi-final.

1 minute ago, t'oldu said:

Sorry..........I didn't know that.  Did they take fright? run out of steam ? overheat and implode ?  or was there a key injury??

They finished 6th. and lost the semi-final.

Having been second in February.  They'd have finished eight had they not won on the final day.

I'm not too sure about injuries. I'll have a look.

They should put Derby fans in charge of painting the Forth Bridge.

Can't dispute we are constantly in a flux of restructure, rebuilding, starting over again and turning the corner.

Ironically we could be accused of being the most optimistic fans as we're always just about to move on to the next level. 

I think this new period under Pearson is about replacing the players who try hard, with players who can do it consistently.

Johnny Russell is one of my fave players for his enthusiasm, but we can't have players at the end of the season saying they weren't good enough and were disappointed with their contribution.  For me this is a cop out for maybe not being able to stay up to standard. A bit unfair on Johnny, but he is one I saw recently who said they must try harder.

We have one too many players who are capable of being man of the match or looking like they haven't ever kicked a ball before.

6 minutes ago, Doodle said:

And where are they now?  Short term views are what we don't need

Okay… I was replying to somebody stating that Pearson guarantees that teams treat the season as a marathon instead of a sprint...

Archived