It will get worse before it gets better

Doodle

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cannable said:

Ten of Bournemouth's most regular starters were there last season. It would have been ten but for Callum Wilson's injury.

I firmly believe that if you go up playing 'the right way' then you will give yourself a huge chance of staying up.

And the team we have now is good enough to stay up as well and gain promotion. Its not about rebuilding it is about finally fulfilling our promise. Too many sides not as good as us have gone up. 

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Don't remember you giving Wassall the same opportunity.

Not that I am taking anything from one defeat in a friendly.

What was his background? I'd not have appointed Wassall, but I'm not Mel M in case you wondered.

4 hours ago, JaguarRam said:

Bit bored of these 3 year/5 year plans. The team is good enough to go up. We just need more of Hull away and less Hull at home. We need to assess and rebuild just seems an excuse to me. 

We are a big enough club and have a good enough squad and manager for promotion. So more focus on getting up this year rather than a series of excuses for failure and let's get behind the team. 

If that were true we'd be in the PL. We aren't so it isn't. 

Pearson is very much under the microscope. If he doesn't get the best out of this group of players and takes us further away from the standards we set in the 13/14 season then he will have questions to answer. I don't see what relevance the success he had at Leicester has on our future. It's all too common that managers succeed at one club and fail at the next. 

I have faith in Pearson to come up with the goods with the group of players and funds at his disposal, but if we look a worse side next season than we did under Wassall and finish outside the top 10, top six even, then he can't really have an excuse. 

The Derby job is not a difficult one at all. I don't think I'm wrong in saying any half decent manager could get this group of players into the Premier League, especially when you consider the financial clout as well! 

4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So no football management experience then?

Wassall has over 11 years experience of managing youth academies. Granted it isn't first team level, but it isn't like he's going in without any management or coaching experience whatsoever.

Would you rather have done what other clubs have done and put two senior players in charge? I think not.

G star ,, on the wassell question it's very simple for me ( can't and would nt claim to be infalably right ) Pearson has shown that with time he is a solid manager and can build a reasonably sucessfull team , with wass we have no real clue one way or the other and given that Mel will have to back the manager and give him free reign to buy ,sell and build over 3 years ( that's the stability we hoping for?) the for me it's a no brainier for a club like Derby with its fan base and expectations and the point we are at now to maximise the odds of getting it right by taking a punt on the known rather than the totally unknown ? Just the way I see it ,doesn't make me totally right ,, so I'm happy to put my trust in np and Mel to get things right , I believe we will see signs earlyish but I'm not putting an instant time limit on it ,,, I hope that comes across as a fair view on wassell as I don't have the venom towards him as some displayed , I just have no clue at all whether he has what it takes and as such would not take a punt on him in the position we are at now

Also I think it's the right time to point out that with Pearson we are talking about a man who when given that time didn't produce a team that scraped promotion , he produced a team that destroyed the division and formed the basis of the team that went on to be good enough to win the prem ,,, I remember sitting down to watch us play them that season away full of excitement and looking forward to a fantastic game ,, we were the best I had seen us for years playing fantastic football and they totally ripped us a new one ,, men against boys ,,, that's why I feel there's no comparison between being comfortable to give Pearson three years and being comfortable to give wass three years ? 

10 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

With a 4-0 defeat?

Bloody hell mate, it was a defeat by the champions of Portugal, a champions league side.

We played a mixture of youth and reserve players with a couple of first teamers, let us get some perspective here.

30 minutes ago, toddy said:

Bloody hell mate, it was a defeat by the champions of Portugal, a champions league side.

We played a mixture of youth and reserve players with a couple of first teamers, let us get some perspective here.

My comment was tongue in cheek. Taking absolutely nothing from the result or performance. Have to laugh though at comments like Pearson has already made an impression! Anyway I won't mention Wassall again now, that ship has sailed and looking forward to the new setup.

Archived