Benfica vs Derby County

Carl Sagan

• Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Simsy said:

is it wrong that performance has pissed me off?

I agree with you mate that after a few minutes of hope at the start of the 2nd half where we seemed a bit more progressive, we went backwards alarmingly in terms of performance and basics - such as passing to a team mate or trying some one touch stuff to open them up.

Martin just got worse as the half went on - right at end he ran into back of Luisao and fell over, then sat with his arms up appealing. I didn't see much benefit of the alleged extra fitness.

Cant really say anything against grant tho I only seer the last 40 ish mins and on the last 2 goals shocking defending and hardly no flair hopefully we go and sign a couple of creative players now and a new20+ goals a season  striker come in even tho I thought martin looked sharper the ever and more passionate 

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

Sheffield Wednesday play them in a few days, good chance to see where we stand in a direct comparison.

Sorta depends on if it's their first team, or a mix em up like tonight

It's gonna get really hard to separate the trolls from the idiots, so I'm giving everyone the benefit of the doubt tonight :lol:

Just now, Gritters said:

Never. God I thought we would win Real Madrid or Barcelona with the team we have.

Oh we would. Gotta remember we've got Hendrick sitting at home in England and he's worth over £15m! 

This thread is growing fast with lots of people dissing the players for their first 45 minutes of preseason. Stop it now. It's all and entirely about building fitness at this stage. I don't care about the result. The players needed to get miles under the belt on the pitch and not get any injuries. Have some of you never seen a preseason campaign before?

As for the kit, at least I liked the numbers. Though I've always said they should be red.

Loads of kids in, formation changes, 3/4 of our first choice defence missing altogether. Players filling in out of position. Playing a CL regular. Can't expect a great deal in terms of result. Could have been 6 or 7 easy. We might have scored once or twice.

Good for fitness, plus he'll have learned a bit more about what he's got available to him.

Don't panic now, just like we don't start thinking it's going to be our year if we smash Walsall 4-0.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

This thread is growing fast with lots of people dissing the players for their first 45 minutes of preseason. Stop it now. It's all and entirely about building fitness at this stage. I don't care about the result. The players needed to get miles under the belt on the pitch and not get any injuries. Have some of you never seen a preseason campaign before?

As for the kit, at least I liked the numbers. Though I've always said they should be red.

Gotta give them the benefit of the doubt Carl, otherwise we're just admitting that we're among a horde of fools.

5 minutes ago, Derbylad92 said:

Cant really say anything against grant tho I only seer the last 40 ish mins and on the last 2 goals shocking defending and hardly no flair hopefully we go and sign a couple of creative players now and a new20+ goals a season  striker come in even tho I thought martin looked sharper the ever and more passionate 

On the back of that one performance? Get real!

Don't think this is a case of we lost because of lack of fitness. They would have smashed us even if we had our best team and had peak fitness in the middle of the season due to their superior class. There's nothing to be ashamed of because Benfica are a very good team. Pearson would have learnt a lot more about the players today than say if we smashed a team like gateshead 6-0 instead. Better that he sees the issues now than during the season.

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

I think they all need putting on the transfer market. 

Only joking that is exactly where I'm coming from. A bit of sun a game against a team we beat in 1972 how can we get back there? Nige Pearson might know??

Archived