Picture where you, and your knee are now.

froggg

I love looking at pictures of people rooms me. I'm intrigued by that stone behind the woodburner. Its much more modern that all the other stone. Sawn bed, machined finish. is that brickwork or stone in the corners behind the fire surround? 

I'm guessing that the whole thing is a much later addition to a brick fireplace which in turn was a later addition to a brick or stone cottage. A relatively new bit alteration? Maybe only 20 years old with a reclaimed fire surround and mantel.

Could be wrong.

no good waving reader's wives under my nose. I just end up studying the architraves and skirtings. 

35 minutes ago, RamNut said:

I'm guessing that the whole thing is a much later addition to a brick fireplace which in turn was a later addition to a brick or stone cottage. A relatively new bit alteration? Maybe only 20 years old with a reclaimed fire surround and mantel.

The house is gritstone, 1850. It's clearly been messed about with, but I'm assuming the lintel and surround are original, because they fit with the chimney breast which goes right up through both floors.

Your guess of 20 years is probably about right for the stone at the back; the previous owners were here for 25, and most likely they had it done. It's brick in the corner at the back, filling in the gap. 

There's a weird brick bit under the stairs which looks old... somebody probably got walled up behind it in Victorian times. 

9FA3200E-AE24-4D28-BE80-0B6ECB527A96.jpeg

Interesting condundrum. I still think its later. The hearth is very evenly coloured. Also the top is a slightly different coloured stone to the sides and is tooled whereas the sides aren't. it looks like the holes in the mantel which might be some old lifting points. It looks reclaimed? whatever.....its a nice beast but i think it was built to suit the woodburner.

i'm interested in the books now.

i went to someone's house once who only had about three or four books. One book was on prime display in the lounge...it was 'the amazing world of insects'. All i could think about was what kind of person would have 'the amazing world of insects' on prime display in the lounge? 

another house, the bloke had a huge mega book all about Hitler. Again i couldn't help but wonder who would want to have that on display? as might be predicted, he was a total git. 

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Interesting condundrum. I still think its later. The hearth is very evenly coloured. Also the top is a slightly different coloured stone to the sides and is tooled whereas the sides aren't. it looks like the holes in the mantel which might be some old lifting points. It looks reclaimed? whatever.....its a nice beast but i think it was built to suit the woodburner.

i'm interested in the books now.

i went to someone's house once who only had about three or four books. One book was on prime display in the lounge...it was 'the amazing world of insects'. All i could think about was what kind of person would have 'the amazing world of insects' on prime display in the lounge? 

another house, the bloke had a huge mega book all about Hitler. Again i couldn't help but wonder who would want to have that on display? as might be predicted, he was a total git. 

Rip that fecker out... Prefer my gaffs to be modern, see no sense in living in the dark ages.. We’ve moved on as a species..

Books, can you get them on Kindle? Much tidier and easier to clean..

Looks like hell to me.

@RamNut Well, I think you've convinced me about the stone and the hearth, although I'd still imagine that the size/ shape/ position of the fireplace is original, because of the chimney breast, as mentioned, and because other properties in the area have similar. 

Books: nothing on insects or Hitler, but there are a couple on Aleister Crowley! Non-fiction downstairs, philosophy, theology, psychology, mysticism, magic, art; fiction upstairs, poetry and literature. 

I hate modernity. Our digitised, mechanised, lives take us ever further from nature and reality. We're addicted to simulacra, to the point that we can no longer tell the difference. Facebook has replaced life.

Books and logs are real things, they have a satisfying presence. My desk was my grandfather's, and is solid oak, there are pens and paper, no computer. 

Iphones are alright though.