Roy Hodgsons Contract

Van der MoodHoover

7 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Training methods,  tactical thinking, approaches to dealing with players. 

All of these evolve over time. Liverpool fans were especially critical of roys methods being those of c 20 years ago when he managed them. Of course international management is different but still need to keep thinking up to date.

If he does reach the semis and is deemed a success, then surely his best years are not behind him & his tactics not outdated?

If he guides us to a good tournament then he should get a new contract, if we don't reach the quarters at least then he shouldn't. That's more straightforward than his tactical ability etc, seemed to use tactics against Wales ok.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Kernow said:

If he does reach the semis and is deemed a success, then surely his best years are not behind him & his tactics not outdated?

If he guides us to a good tournament then he should get a new contract, if we don't reach the quarters at least then he shouldn't. That's more straightforward than his tactical ability etc, seemed to use tactics against Wales ok.

I would judge success relative to the opposition faced rather than just the level of round reached. @Posh Ram posted that it was possible to reach a long way facing relatively modest opposition. Were that to be the case and we dole out a series of dull performances to boot, would that be a success? 

Not for me - but the only time we come up against good opposition early we fail - both wc98 and 2010. So I can see that others may have a different view as they maintain the hope that our performance improves as we go on like in italia 90.

14 hours ago, HantsRam said:

Training methods,  tactical thinking, approaches to dealing with players. 

All of these evolve over time. Liverpool fans were especially critical of roys methods being those of c 20 years ago when he managed them. Of course international management is different but still need to keep thinking up to date.

That's probably more due to Liverpool fans living 20 years in the past.

The same Liverpool fans who one season hailed Rodgers as 'King Brenny' and a few months later hired a plane to carry a banner demanding he was sacked.

Regardless of the outcome this Euros, Hodgson has gone some way in restoring a bit of pride in the national team. He's been brave enough to give young players a chance and I think he should be given at least another campaign to see what this team is capable of. 

42 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

@Posh Ram is someone I keep referencing mainly because I can't work out how to delete him from previous replies :lol:

Seriously I think Roy has been braver and more astute with his selection tonight than I have given him credit for. So I hope he is successful just for that and to breed a bit of confidence in his wider squad.

Thanks, that means a lot. 

I think England have looked alright and the goal will come you'd have thought but we need to start moving the ball around quicker. That's the problem with making a lot of changes.

5 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Thanks, that means a lot. 

I think England have looked alright and the goal will come you'd have thought but we need to start moving the ball around quicker. That's the problem with making a lot of changes.

You're alright mate - make good points.

Wilshire much better when he's passing than when he tries to dribble  

Lots of work needed on dead ball delivery. We've either had henderson failing to clear the first man or Bertrand doing his weird loopy chips. Neither working.

Keep the faith :thumbsup:

23 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

This is so frustrating. Need to speed the game up

And didn't. Not one of our substitutions really added anything tonight. 

If anything bringing rooney on was counterproductive in that some of ourplayers seemed to think they could just roll the ball slowly 5 yards towards him and watch him create something.

I don't get taking Lallana off especially, he's been one of our better players this tournament.

How Hodgson can take Premier League player of the year Jamie Vardy, golden boot winner Harry Kane, the very naturally talented Sturridge and the great unknown Marcus Rashford and not play to any of their strengths is astonishing.

He should have been sacked after our dismal World Cup.Our worst performance in any tournament,ever.I could not believe they kept the old fart on.He is clueless,completely cocked up the squad selection,and then the team selection,not too mention he is the highest paid International manager.

Get Chris C oleman in.

3 minutes ago, top 6 finish said:

He should have been sacked after our dismal World Cup.Our worst performance in any tournament,ever.I could not believe they kept the old fart on.He is clueless,completely cocked up the squad selection,and then the team selection,not too mention he is the highest paid International manager.

Get Chris C oleman in.

I heard he's a racist too?

Just now, top 6 finish said:

Get Chris C oleman in.

When is enough, enough with this fella?? We are a shadow of the side that we should be IMO. 

Folks can go on and say we're through to the knock out stages but is that enough are we happy with stumbling through potentially the easiest group at Euro 16. 

Hes apparently satisfied with our domination...... What a pwick

Time to make a change. 

Personally thought maybe rashford should have come on for sturridge rather than kane. 

But our main failing is not getting the goals quickly enough when we're on top. Vardy got in when Slovakia played high up for the first 20 mins. Once they'd sussed that out and dropped back Vardy really didn't get a sniff. Similarly once they doubled up on Clyne we lost our creativity down the right and didn't adjust to replace it. 

Oh well, on we go.

11 minutes ago, Rampage said:

End his contract as we get knocked out. Choice against Slovakia backfired. No need for it in first place. You do that when you are certain winners of the group. Overall we were humiliated by Wales.

Humiliated by Wales? 

We beat them 2-1 after days of listening to how they were better and more passionate than us, they then turned up and defended for 90 minutes.

All that matters is getting through the group, business and of the tournament now begins.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Humiliated by Wales? 

We beat them 2-1 after days of listening to how they were better and more passionate than us, they then turned up and defended for 90 minutes.

All that matters is getting through the group, business and of the tournament now begins.

Yeah, wait until we're beaten finalists, then give the job to Southgate!

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

End his contract as we get knocked out. Choice against Slovakia backfired. No need for it in first place. You do that when you are certain winners of the group. Overall we were humiliated by Wales.

Wasn't Hodgson's fault Jamie Vardy missed a one on one or Dele Alli had a great chance cleared off the line.

We've been the most impressive team at this tournament so far in everything but finishing, in my humble opinion. I understand possession doesn't win matches but Hodgson, unfortunately for him, isn't the man on the end of these chances we keep getting, so there's not much we can do.

Archived