Roy Hodgsons Contract

Van der MoodHoover

Greg Duke being quoted as saying it is likely to be renewed if England have a successful Euro 2016,  with his opinion being that semi finals would be regarded as sucess. 

Is this a reasonable yardstick for success and if achieved would you want some more years of Roy?

For me yes to the first but I think roys best years are behind him and the fact that we'restill tinkering with formations having had 2 years to prepare suggest that it's time to hand reins on to a younger more decisive coach.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Greg Duke being quoted as saying it is likely to be renewed if England have a successful Euro 2016,  with his opinion being that semi finals would be regarded as sucess. 

Is this a reasonable yardstick for success and if achieved would you want some more years of Roy?

For me yes to the first but I think roys best years are behind him and the fact that we'restill tinkering with formations having had 2 years to prepare suggest that it's time to hand reins on to a younger more decisive coach.

Who do you suggest? 

35 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Not sure how that's possible when talking about manager... It's not like he is senile or blind yet.

11 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Not sure how that's possible when talking about manager... It's not like he is senile or blind yet.

Training methods,  tactical thinking, approaches to dealing with players. 

All of these evolve over time. Liverpool fans were especially critical of roys methods being those of c 20 years ago when he managed them. Of course international management is different but still need to keep thinking up to date.

1 minute ago, HantsRam said:

All of these evolve over time. Liverpool fans were especially critical of roys methods being those of c 20 years ago when he managed them. Of course international management is different but still need to keep thinking up to date.

If you think Roy is not keeping up with modern tactics etc.., you got it wrong. Or those Pool fans did. He has little bit of perfectionist in him, that's why he's had such a long and succesful career.

Don't understand all the stick he gets at all, think he's done a pretty good job all in all and has integrated young players well. If we get to the quarters I'd say he's deserving of a new contract but even if not, I'd keep him just because there's no one any better. Would have anyone over Pardew and he's the only other genuine option if we're sticking with an Englishman unless I've missed someone blindingly obvious.

9 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

If you think Roy is not keeping up with modern tactics etc.., you got it wrong. Or those Pool fans did. He has little bit of perfectionist in him, that's why he's had such a long and succesful career.

Long yes. I don't immediately associate Roy with success, but let us see what he achieves with this squad that he's assembled over the last couple of years. 

I was more interested in the comment that success =last 4 (approx).

Reasonable or not? With France Germany and Spain looking good that presumably only leaves 1 spot up for grabs. Tough ask in my view.

58 minutes ago, HantsRam said:

Liverpool fans being critical... Now there's a thing! 

Let him have the next World Cup then it's time to move on regardless of what happens, he will be 70 by then, surely he would want to whack a pair of slippers on and take up bingo.

Worrying thing is right now there isn't one candidate that stand out to replace him, and I'm talking from an opinion that the England manager should be English, despite the odd flirting with the idea of Mourinho given a go.

I'm in two minds, you've got to say Hodgson hasn't done a particularly good job so far, especially in the disappointing showing at the world cup. However there really aren't any obvious alternatives to him at the moment, names like Howe and Southgate will be touted but international management often requires lots of experience.

Someone who would be perhaps an unpopular appointment but I think might work is van Gaal. Yes, his years at United weren't good but in that time he's picked up knowledge of the English game. And he got a very limited Dutch side to third place at the World Cup - look at how they fell apart without him. It would be a bonus to have a manager we know can cut it in international football.

I think the semi-finals is a difficult target and if we win a knock-out game I'd probably keep Woy on. That being said we have a pretty nice path to the semis - as things stand we'd play Northern Ireland, Czech Rep. or Romania in the round of 16 and Belgium or Hungary in the last eight.

20 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

That being said we have a pretty nice path to the semis - as things stand we'd play Northern Ireland, Czech Rep. or Romania in the round of 16 and Belgium or Hungary in the last eight.

Fair play Posh for concentrating on all those horrid permutations on the fixture lists, they give me brain ache.:thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, David said:

Let him have the next World Cup then it's time to move on regardless of what happens, he will be 70 by then, surely he would want to whack a pair of slippers on and take up bingo.

Worrying thing is right now there isn't one candidate that stand out to replace him, and I'm talking from an opinion that the England manager should be English, despite the odd flirting with the idea of Mourinho given a go.

In a couple of years time......Nigel pearson ;)

3 hours ago, HantsRam said:

If players of the right quality aren't available in the existing formation to give a real chance of success in the Euros and World Cup then a change is inevitable otherwise we'll end up seeing the same sort of performances which have been a feature of the last 20 years in major tournaments. This despite the much-heralded era of Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry etc.

That's not to say Hodgon has it right but I wouldn't criticise him for changing something which has failed to provide an acceptable degree of success - something Pearson may be looking to do?

Joint second-best win record for any England manager ever, only one ahead of him is Capello and level with Alf.

He'll do for me.

I'd give the next world cup. Not spectacular but he seems to have done OK. The last world cup was poor, but we lost to Uruguay and Italy but we didn't get hammered by them, last euros? lost to Italy, 2010 lost to Germany.

England mostly end up where i expect them to at tournaments. A competent but second tier international team who make knock out rounds and get knocked out by the best teams.

Quarters aught to be the expectations, semis is actually very good. It has been 20 years, for large parts with a media created "golden generation" and QFs is where we get to at best.

18 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I'd give the next world cup. Not spectacular but he seems to have done OK. The last world cup was poor, but we lost to Uruguay and Italy but we didn't get hammered by them, last euros? lost to Italy, 2010 lost to Germany.

England mostly end up where i expect them to at tournaments. A competent but second tier international team who make knock out rounds and get knocked out by the best teams.

Quarters aught to be the expectations, semis is actually very good. It has been 20 years, for large parts with a media created "golden generation" and QFs is where we get to at best.

we get to our first penalty shoot out and then fail :ph34r:

Archived