Jonathan Kodjia - Signed for Villa

DcFc Dyycheee

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Do you have a link we are in for him?

please don't stray off topic, right, back to the puns and arguing.

Shut up you miserable old Kodja. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No, he will sign for one of our promotion rivals, will score 20 plus goals and will play in the Prem next season and will be valued at 15 million.

Luckily we have Nick Blackman, Bent and Martin to score our 20 plus goals.

Said no one ever.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

No, he will sign for one of our promotion rivals, will score 20 plus goals and will play in the Prem next season and will be valued at 15 million.

Luckily we have Nick Blackman, Bent and Martin to score our 20 plus goals.

each

I don't understand how people think that just because he had a great season last year he's guaranteed to have another good one. Yet Chris Martin has one slightly off season (still double figures) and suddenly he's useless.

It seems to be something about Martin that people don't like, because Blackman has one good half season and suddenly we're all talking about how you don't become useless overnight...Unless you're Chris Martin...

Clearly Kodjia is guaranteed to score another 20 this season, because 20 goal a season strikers don't ever have off seasons or get found out...unless you're Chris Martin...

I'm okay with us bringing in another forward player if that's what Pearson thinks we need but I do not want to see us throw any more silly money around. This is usually countered by fans saying "why do you care? It's not your money". I beg to differ. £39 for a matchday ticket says it IS our money.

4 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I don't understand how people think that just because he had a great season last year he's guaranteed to have another good one. Yet Chris Martin has one slightly off season (still double figures) and suddenly he's useless.

It seems to be something about Martin that people don't like, because Blackman has one good half season and suddenly we're all talking about how you don't become useless overnight...Unless you're Chris Martin...

Clearly Kodjia is guaranteed to score another 20 this season, because 20 goal a season strikers don't ever have off seasons or get found out...unless you're Chris Martin...

I'm okay with us bringing in another forward player if that's what Pearson thinks we need but I do not want to see us throw any more silly money around. This is usually countered by fans saying "why do you care? It's not your money". I beg to differ. £39 for a matchday ticket says it IS our money.

I don't think Chris martinis goal scoring is the problem, it's that we are dictated ( to a certain extent) what style of play we use when playing him,  whilst this is effective it is not getting us promotion. So do we continue with that style or change? 

12 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

I don't think Chris martinis goal scoring is the problem, it's that we are dictated ( to a certain extent) what style of play we use when playing him,  whilst this is effective it is not getting us promotion. So do we continue with that style or change? 

When Martin and Thorne or Eustace played we showed pretty much top 2 form. Lack of back up has cost us. Certainly in the season before last.  

6 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Not sure if you are shaken or stirred :ph34r:

Just now, Woodley Ram said:

I don't think Chris martinis goal scoring is the problem, it's that we are dictated ( to a certain extent) what style of play we use, whilst this is effective it is not getting us promotion. So do we continue with that style or change? 

Fair comment, and fair question to ask. Personally I'd be happier keeping the style. We got into all sorts of mess trying to mess with the style too much early last season, but more importantly it has worked more than it has failed on a game by game basis so I'm happy to stick rather than twist.

But it's not my decision to make, and Pearson may have a different view. Fine, cool, I'm down with that, we'll see where it goes. But only a fool would change the system at the expense of the players. If changing the style means demoting our best striker in years to the bench and not using him, I'm not down with that. I don't care how much money gets spent on "the new guy" who's going to score our goals, what if he doesn't?

Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's the saying we've been hearing in relation to Derby for years. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Problem is, we keep doing it. We keep losing our minds and trying to change far too much. We bought a whole new team last year and now we're angry that it didn't stick immediately. It's not going to is it?

I remember Sam Rush saying after McClaren's second promotion failure that there's no need for a 'draconian review'. Then we went and let McClaren go, appointed Clement, got a new Chairman in Mel and spent close to £30m on a load of new players. If that's not drastic, I don't know what is. I'd hate to see a real draconian review from Rush. But my point is that we keep demanding this every year. After the Wembley heartbreak, even then there were people labelling us bottlers and saying our team just couldn't hack it. Well it's a self fulfilling prophesy. If your own fans say that about you, what would your enemies say.

We've spent lots of money on the players we have. We've invested a lot in the style, system and personnel here at Derby so lets please give it a real chance without upheaval all the time. 13/14 we had a managerial and stylistic change from Clough to McClaren, and since then we've had a lack of stability and focus on the plan. No season in the last three has seen Derby get through a whole season sticking to what we had.

13/14 was Mac's first season, we needed time to adapt to the style. We nearly made it.

14/15 Mac started to bottle it around Jan/Feb and started messing with the formations and the back four. Above all else kept flirting with Newcastle. Where's the stability?

15/16 Clement comes in, continues tinkering. Buys a metric fucktonne of new players. Plays #lineupbingo as some dubbed it on here. Finally starts to get results playing 4-3-3 that McClaren used. Bottled it around Dec/Jan and started tinkering again. Sacked. Where's the stability?

15/16 under Wassall, starts to get results using the 4-3-3 that McClaren used. Not experienced enough for the occasion but spirited 2nd leg against Hull. We nearly made it.

16/17......???

Well there's the question. Do you want us to go back to what got us results, the style we all know and love, or do you want to spend obscene amounts of money again and tinker over and over again? Whatever we do, it better work, and we better stick to it for a whole season. Otherwise we'll collapse again. And it's not the players that have bottled it either.

As Dave Mustaine from the band Megadeth says: "If there's a new way, I'll be first in line....But it better work this time!"

8 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Fair comment, and fair question to ask. Personally I'd be happier keeping the style. We got into all sorts of mess trying to mess with the style too much early last season, but more importantly it has worked more than it has failed on a game by game basis so I'm happy to stick rather than twist.

But it's not my decision to make, and Pearson may have a different view. Fine, cool, I'm down with that, we'll see where it goes. But only a fool would change the system at the expense of the players. If changing the style means demoting our best striker in years to the bench and not using him, I'm not down with that. I don't care how much money gets spent on "the new guy" who's going to score our goals, what if he doesn't?

Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's the saying we've been hearing in relation to Derby for years. Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Problem is, we keep doing it. We keep losing our minds and trying to change far too much. We bought a whole new team last year and now we're angry that it didn't stick immediately. It's not going to is it?

I remember Sam Rush saying after McClaren's second promotion failure that there's no need for a 'draconian review'. Then we went and let McClaren go, appointed Clement, got a new Chairman in Mel and spent close to £30m on a load of new players. If that's not drastic, I don't know what is. I'd hate to see a real draconian review from Rush. But my point is that we keep demanding this every year. After the Wembley heartbreak, even then there were people labelling us bottlers and saying our team just couldn't hack it. Well it's a self fulfilling prophesy. If your own fans say that about you, what would your enemies say.

We've spent lots of money on the players we have. We've invested a lot in the style, system and personnel here at Derby so lets please give it a real chance without upheaval all the time. 13/14 we had a managerial and stylistic change from Clough to McClaren, and since then we've had a lack of stability and focus on the plan. No season in the last three has seen Derby get through a whole season sticking to what we had.

13/14 was Mac's first season, we needed time to adapt to the style. We nearly made it.

14/15 Mac started to bottle it around Jan/Feb and started messing with the formations and the back four. Above all else kept flirting with Newcastle. Where's the stability?

15/16 Clement comes in, continues tinkering. Buys a metric fucktonne of new players. Plays #lineupbingo as some dubbed it on here. Finally starts to get results playing 4-3-3 that McClaren used. Bottled it around Dec/Jan and started tinkering again. Sacked. Where's the stability?

15/16 under Wassall, starts to get results using the 4-3-3 that McClaren used. Not experienced enough for the occasion but spirited 2nd leg against Hull. We nearly made it.

16/17......???

Well there's the question. Do you want us to go back to what got us results, the style we all know and love, or do you want to spend obscene amounts of money again and tinker over and over again? Whatever we do, it better work, and we better stick to it for a whole season. Otherwise we'll collapse again. And it's not the players that have bottled it either.

As Dave Mustaine from the band Megadeth says: "If there's a new way, I'll be first in line....But it better work this time!"

Exactly.....Peace Sells but Nobodys buying!

10 minutes ago, Tombo said:

16/17......???

You got a like from me purely for the Megadeth quote alone.

Personally I think you will see more tinkering this year than any other. I can see different formations being played a lot more. 433 was great but teams just knew that's how we were going to line up and played to defend and counter. 

We haven't a clue how we will line up on Saturday so how will anyone else? I'd guess at 4411 but who knows it might be 433 with Martin at the tip

ones things for sure it will be interesting and if we are going 4411 or 442 I think we need a right winger as we don't have one that plays that position first and foremost. We have forwards converted to wide attacking mids, but not a winger that can change to wide attacking mid. 

Just my opinion of course 

Whether we like it or not I think we have seen the last of 4-3-3, at least for the foreseeable. Leicester and Hull fans said that Pearson doesn't like 4-3-3 because it is fairly easy to counter the and isolate the striker. Pearson himself said in the Q& A last night that we will only utilise formations with 2 front forwards, whether this involves 3 at the back or 4 at the back because he believes that teams with 2 up front do better historically in the championship. His words not mine. 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Whether we like it or not I think we have seen the last of 4-3-3, at least for the foreseeable. Leicester and Hull fans said that Pearson doesn't like 4-3-3 because it is fairly easy to counter the and isolate the striker. Pearson himself said in the Q& A last night that we will only utilise formations with 2 front forwards, whether this involves 3 at the back or 4 at the back because he believes that teams with 2 up front do better historically in the championship. His words not mine. 

Ok, good post very informative, sorry for Martin if he is left out as he is a good player, but it's all about the Prem . I do take your point Tombo. Let's see

12 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Ok, good post very informative, sorry for Martin if he is left out as he is a good player, but it's all about the Prem . I do take your point Tombo. Let's see

It's bizarre considering we are going to add an extra forward to our lineup, that Martin might not feature as much...I think we will still see Martin playing a key role, and that his 'style' that impacts on the team will benefit us, considering his style is one that holds the ball up and brings others into play. That doesn't sound like a weakness to me

Archived