Mentality of the squad

Sexydadbod

Before today's game I was sure that we didn't have the quality to compete after watching the games against Boro and Burnley but after today I am happy to say that we only need a few tweakings to compete for the autos next season. However, what really needs to improve is the mentality of the players because you can't be that bad on Saturday to putting that quality performance on today. If we put in as much effort today as we did on Saturday we would have gone through. I don't know why we were so bad on Saturday, it just has to be a mentality thing, whether they underestimated Hull because of the league games I just don't know. Today's game leaves me with a bitter sweet taste but roll on next season.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All we REALLY need is a manager that can motivate the players, Darren Wasall said he used Ian holloway a words to motivate the players. If we can make the players up for the 46 games next season as they were for tonight we'll stand a very very good chance

The key to what you are saying is to have an experienced manager who can gauge the mood of the squad and keep the   mentality spot on week in week out. Tonight was less about Wassall getting the team motivated than the players themselves reacting to Saturday's humiliation. 

It might not be the yes man that Mel wants but finding the 2016 version of Jim Smith. Not a fashionable choice but someone who has been there, seen it an done it before. How popular a choice was Ranieri at Leicester at the start of this season?

For me if we could get David Moyes here backed up by Steve Round I for one would be a happy man!

We've seen how we can play

We've all seen it numerous times so I don't know why we talk about trading our best players out. 

We've had the ingredients for some years now. 

Built by Nigel

Elevated by McClaren

It needed some upgrading instead of just inflating. 

Now it needs trimming and doing the upgrading that should have been done. 

Then it needs to learn how to deal with pressure and balance over 46 games. 

Not tearing apart starting with the core players who ARE the Derby way. Who are central to all that's good when it's good

38 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Before today's game I was sure that we didn't have the quality to compete after watching the games against Boro and Burnley but after today I am happy to say that we only need a few tweakings to compete for the autos next season. However, what really needs to improve is the mentality of the players because you can't be that bad on Saturday to putting that quality performance on today. If we put in as much effort today as we did on Saturday we would have gone through. I don't know why we were so bad on Saturday, it just has to be a mentality thing, whether they underestimated Hull because of the league games I just don't know. Today's game leaves me with a bitter sweet taste but roll on next season.

Fair enough post. Who are you and what have you done with our McLovin?!?!

Could it be a fear of making mistakes? How many times have we put in a performance like that at the iPro this season? I've not seen/heard/been to all of the home games, but none spring to mind. 

Our expectations are ludicrous, having ~30,000 fans on your back doesn't allow you (as a player) the freedom and understanding that if you make a mistake, that's fine as long as you're giving your all for the club. 

I honestly think the pressure we put out own team on at home knocks their confidence as much as our unrelenting away support lifts them. They're professionals, yes. But they're human, and as such are as vulnerable to mental frailties and foibles as any other human. 

Football is a confidence game first, a skill game second, all things being equal. Next season, let's influence the only one of those factors that we can by actually supporting the players wearing the shirt.

3 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Could it be a fear of making mistakes? How many times have we put in a performance like that at the iPro this season? I've not seen/heard/been to all of the home, but none spring to mind. 

Our expectations are ludicrous, having ~30,000 fans on your back doesn't allow you (as a player) the freedom and understanding that if you make a mistake, that's fine as long as you're giving your all for the club. 

I honestly think the pressure we put out own team on at home knocks their confidence as much as our unrelenting away support lifts them. They're professionals, yes. But they're human, and as such are as vulnerable to the mental frailties and foibles as any other human. 

Football is a confidence game first, a skill game second, all things being equal. Next season, let's influence the only one of those factors that we can by actually supporting the players wearing the shirt.

Agree 100%. 

Saturday for example was a case where the fans deserved better. But mostly we just pile on pressure. 

None of these lads want to be in the Championship. None of them like losing. Does anyone like being crap at their job? Imagine if your job was as public as this gig. 

So the extra pressure can be too much. The 30,000 can be a bad thing. 

The fans in the last couple of games have deserved the sort of performance with chucked out tonight. 

And it's a far happier and united place. A great club. Be nice if we learned our lessons each

43 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

Could it be a fear of making mistakes? How many times have we put in a performance like that at the iPro this season? I've not seen/heard/been to all of the home games, but none spring to mind. 

I honestly think the pressure we put out own team on at home knocks their confidence as much as our unrelenting away support lifts them. They're professionals, yes. But they're human, and as such are as vulnerable to mental frailties and foibles as any other human. 

So the players who can't handle playing at our stadium need to leave and be replaced by those who can deal with it

8 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

So the players who can't handle playing at our stadium need to leave and be replaced by those who can deal with it

So that's all XI who started on Saturday, including Will Hughes, Bryson, Christie, Keogh, Shackell, Martin amongst others. 

Obviously such a sweeping proposition is never going to happen, nor should it, so what's your next bright idea?

Manager is key , how many players in the Leicester team would have been considered better than mid to lower premiership players before they won the prem this season? Manager is key ,,, not just motivating but blending a team , yes we can lose a few players and perhaps add a few but I'm sure a good manager could blend a bloody good team from the core of our squad 

Archived