Will Hughes Appreciation Thread

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

There are huge similarities to David silva of man city (a bit taller and stronger maybe) and plenty good footballing sides will want him

They may have lot's of similarities but that's bit steep!

When have you seen Silva winning five tackles in one game? Silva is nowhere the level of Hughes  :ermm:

If Hughes could add goals to his game he would be the complete player.

I can see it now, whether he was with us, or any other club in the premier league , some pundit or other would highlight him in a game on MoTD showing him control a game with his perfect balance and weight of pass, and after a few weeks they would all be saying the same thing. He just need to learn to grow a pair when theirs an opportunity to shoot, cos sometimes, just sometimes, one more pass isnt actually on.

13 hours ago, eddie said:

Hughes is the one Derby player over the last 20 years who, if given a game for England, would not look out of place.

He actually looks better now than before his injury.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! ... stop right there. Are you saying Seth Johnson looked out of place playing for England?

8 minutes ago, AutoWindscreens said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa! ... stop right there. Are you saying Seth Johnson looked out of place playing for England?

At snooker, perhaps not.

Don't know if anyone saw this but I thought it was interesting. Don't usually see this, even from the more socially active Chairmen:

4 hours ago, Dimmu said:

They may have lot's of similarities but that's bit steep!

When have you seen Silva winning five tackles in one game? Silva is nowhere the level of Hughes  :ermm:

Nice one but also it proves his ability :)

2 hours ago, AutoWindscreens said:

If I remember rightly, he did. But he wasn't the only England player looking out of place. 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

That's it, we've sold him to Palace..

The precious Brighton fans would be throwing themselves of the cliffs if that were to happen :thumbsup: I still don't understand how they are classed are their rivals.

23 minutes ago, ossieram said:

The precious Brighton fans would be throwing themselves of the cliffs if that were to happen :thumbsup: I still don't understand how they are classed are their rivals.

It's a Bird nickname thing, I think, Seagulls, Eagles. Perhaps they're going to start ones with Wednesday and Cardiff?

i was pleasantly surprised how well Hughes played in only his second game after injury.

Seems to have lost a bit of pace which might come back but he made up for it with some

very intelligent play and the set up for the goal was simply world class.

Had stated he would never be close to his former ability this season,

but i take that nonsense happily back.

3 hours ago, ossieram said:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/football-league-blog/2011/sep/27/brighton-crystal-palace-rivalry

Palace's Barry Silkman fouled Chris Cattlin in the area and Brighton were awarded a penalty, which the future Manchester City manager, Brian Horton, converted. The referee, however, made him retake the kick because of encroachment — even though everybody agreed that the only players to have done any encroaching had been wearing Palace colours. This time Paul Hammond saved it. The game ended 1-0.

At the final whistle Mullery approached the referee, Ron Challis, whose actions that night earned him the nickname "Challis of the Palace". "I was angry but it wasn't because we'd lost," Mullery says. "It was because of the referee's decision to force Brian Horton to retake the penalty. After the game I approached him and asked him why he had made that decision. He said it was because of encroachment, but it was Crystal Palace players who were encroaching, not Brighton players. It was a terrible decision."

Still furious, Mullery marched off the pitch. "As I was walking up the tunnel," he says, "a load of boiling hot coffee was thrown over me by a Crystal Palace supporter. So I pulled a handful of change out of my pocket, threw it on the floor and shouted, 'That's all you're worth, Crystal Palace!' And I'd shout it at anybody who did that." Mullery accompanied this gesture with some others involving his fingers, described in The Guardian as "none too polite signs". Finally, he was led away by police. Mullery was fined £100 for bringing the game into disrepute and warned as to his future conduct. He wrote to the Palace chairman, Ray Bloye, to explain that his subsequent remark that the Palace team was "rubbish" had been misquoted.

Archived