87 points - The 3 B's

robglosta

Got to feel for Boro there. the refs and linos in this country on the whole aren't fit to ref under 11s matches, never mind when there's millions at stake. Boro know though its still in their hands, beat Brighton at home and their up. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

Don't see any reason why Derby should fear playing Boro at Wembley, yes they are the more likely team to win but not impossible.

I don't think you'd face any of Burnley, Brighton or Boro at Wembley.

Whichever team misses will likely be shattered by missing out on the final day and won't make it through the semis.  IMO of the three, Brighton are the most likely to be able to pick themselves back up because there is less expectation on them but still think 3rd place won't make the final.

19 hours ago, ClaretMatt said:

I don't think you'd face any of Burnley, Brighton or Boro at Wembley.

Whichever team misses will likely be shattered by missing out on the final day and won't make it through the semis.  IMO of the three, Brighton are the most likely to be able to pick themselves back up because there is less expectation on them but still think 3rd place won't make the final.

I reckon this could be one of the most unpredictable playoffs in recent years.

Last year it was obvious Boro and Norwich were a cut above. Derby were miles better than Brighton heading in to the playoffs the year before. Watford, Leicester and Palace the year before... All entered looking nervous and out of sorts. Year before that West Ham were just simply better than the rest - Cardiff and Brum were poor.

This year there is a clear 'top three'. But would any of them beat Derby, Hull or Wednesday over the two legs? It probably wouldn't be as easily forecasted as before. I watched Hull blast both Burnley and Boro this season.

Wednesday are unbeaten against all of the current teams placed in the playoffs. In fact, I think they've drawn them all.

Will be one of the most interesting playoffs in years.

Sith Happens
2 minutes ago, MuespachRam said:

You are very welcome Burnley...now go ahead and finish it off. 

indeed, and at least we know one of the teams who will finish in the bottom 3 of the PL next season now

Credit Burnley for winning promotion. I'd be amazed if they stay up next season. Their style of football is ultra competitive and great at Championship level, but I just can't see it ever working in the PL.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team play as many aimless long balls into the channels. 

But defensively they're great, and it's surely gone beyond the point of being lucky. The breaks they get, the set-piece goals, the deflections. Luck would be once, doing it so many times over a season isn't.

10 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Credit Burnley for winning promotion. I'd be amazed if they stay up next season. Their style of football is ultra competitive and great at Championship level, but I just can't see it ever working in the PL.

I can't remember the last time I saw a team play as many aimless long balls into the channels. 

But defensively they're great, and it's surely gone beyond the point of being lucky. The breaks they get, the set-piece goals, the deflections. Luck would be once, doing it so many times over a season isn't.

Agree, credit for the promotion, job done. They were possibly the most boring side at the Ipro this season (bar bristol city) but I guess the point they came for helped them get up.

I don't think this side are a patch on the one that went up 2 seasons ago. 

Shame, I fancied a crack at them in the play offs. 

18 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

To be honest and I know many will think I've lost it but I fancy a crack at Boro at Wembley, I really believe we would do them.

Well if there would be any better time to break the curse that is Middlesbrough Football Club...

We would have the advantage in the sense that they would be the bottlers. We'd have bottled it but come to terms with that a long time ago.

It's also interesting to note that now, the very maximum points total a team could have and still fail to get promoted is 89 points.

The last time a team achieved 89+ points and failed to finish in the top 2 was Sunderland in 1997/98. They finished with 90 points.

7 minutes ago, Kernow said:

Well if there would be any better time to break the curse that is Middlesbrough Football Club...

We would have the advantage in the sense that they would be the bottlers. We'd have bottled it but come to terms with that a long time ago.

I just have a feeling Brighton would handle missing out on the last day better than Boro. Not that I fear Brighton at all, all I'd ask if we played them would be a good ref, Madley wasn't too bad today given his past but I thought Will was getting a bit of stick that went unpunished a couple of times.

I can't help feel with that good goal disallowed at Birmingham and choking at their place (should it happen) they will not be in a good place. It's not a given they'd beat Wednesday actually. 

9 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I just have a feeling Brighton would handle missing out on the last day better than Boro. Not that I fear Brighton at all, all I'd ask if we played them would be a good ref, Madley wasn't too bad today given his past but I thought Will was getting a bit of stick that went unpunished a couple of times.

I can't help feel with that good goal disallowed at Birmingham and choking at their place (should it happen) they will not be in a good place. It's not a given they'd beat Wednesday actually. 

Brighton have over-achieved this season, by far. Of course it would be extremely disappointing for either club to miss out, considering their high points totals this season. You can make cases for how both clubs handle it, both positively and negatively. Boro have more experience of doing 'well' and when they go ahead that's usually game over. However they lost last season and were very much expected to go up automatically this season. They're still expected to go up automatically now given their home form. It also all depends on how that one game itself pans out. If either side misses out on promotion due to a last minute goal, the dejection may be too much for them to overcome Sheffield Wednesday let alone the final too. People talk of the play-off final 'hangover' affecting clubs at the start of the new season 2 and a half months later. Boro v Brighton is essentially a play-off final before the play-offs. They'll have a few days to recover from it.

11 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

The best ref would be Clattenburg, now he's lost the "eh look at me" attitude he's one of the best in the business and a Derby Brighton PO Final would be allowed to flow under his refeereing, no silly blows for petty things. 

Madley did ok today but don't give him a big gig like the PO final ffs (for whoever get through the semis not just us), too much of an attention seeker, and same goes for Fat moss as well. 

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

Brighton have over-achieved this season, by far. Of course it would be extremely disappointing for either club to miss out, considering their high points totals this season. You can make cases for how both clubs handle it, both positively and negatively. Boro have more experience of doing 'well' and when they go ahead that's usually game over. However they lost last season and were very much expected to go up automatically this season. They're still expected to go up automatically now given their home form. It also all depends on how that one game itself pans out. If either side misses out on promotion due to a last minute goal, the dejection may be too much for them to overcome Sheffield Wednesday let alone the final too. People talk of the play-off final 'hangover' affecting clubs at the start of the new season 2 and a half months later. Boro v Brighton is essentially a play-off final before the play-offs. They'll have a few days to recover from it.

Brighton haven't over achieved, no one ever does, the best team in the league always wins it and the worst team in the league always finishes bottom, Brighton are where they are because they have been better than us this season..

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Brighton haven't over achieved, no one ever does, the best team in the league always wins it and the worst team in the league always finishes bottom, Brighton are where they are because they have been better than us this season..

I use over achieved in the sense that they've done better than anyone would have expected, not that they don't deserve to be where they are.

Archived