Size isn't everything, but...

sage

With Bolton and Reading we have the smallest pitch in the championship, with some clubs having pitches 10 metres wider and longer.

I was looking at some old videos of Derby under Jim Smith in the first few years at Pride Park and the players have noticeably more space and the pitch did looker bigger then.

Have we reduced the size?  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sage said:

With Bolton and Reading we have the smallest pitch in the championship, with some clubs having pitches 10 metres wider and longer.

I was looking at some old videos of Derby under Jim Smith in the first few years at Pride Park and the players have noticeably more space and the pitch did looker bigger then.

yes

current = 105 x 68.

http://www.footballgroundguide.com/leagues/england/championship/ipro-stadium-derby-county.html

2007 = 114 x 74

http://soccerlens.com/premier-league-pitch-sizes/3683/

5 minutes ago, DavesaRam said:

I remember reading somewhere that Nigel Clough had the pitch narrowed to suit our style of play better.

it must have been widened first because wiki says on opening it was 105m by 68m which is what it currently is and needs to be for international football to be played in it.

56 minutes ago, RamLad1884 said:

He wanted to shrink it to the width of 10 players but the league wouldnt let him. Something about the evolution of '10 men behind the ball'

You'll need a bigger ball

6 hours ago, sage said:

10 metres x length of pitch at 80 metres? is 800 sq metres PLUS 10 metres x width of pitch 70 metres? is 700 sq.metres. Total is 1500 sq metres - sounds like a lot of space to run about in !!!!!

Jim Smith, at some point reduced the Pride Park pitch by 10 metres on the wings to make it easier to avoid relegation.

5 minutes ago, Rampage said:

10 metres x length of pitch at 80 metres? is 800 sq metres PLUS 10 metres x width of pitch 70 metres? is 700 sq.metres. Total is 1500 sq metres - sounds like a lot of space to run about in !!!!!

Jim Smith, at some point reduced the Pride Park pitch by 10 metres on the wings to make it easier to avoid relegation.

This would make sense, as it's the videos from the Eranio/Stimac years when it looked bigger

1 hour ago, Rampage said:

wikipedia has the opening measurements the same as now, and also that they are needed to be that to meet the requirements to host international matches.

so it must have either not been narrowed (as we hosted a Brazil match since Jim Smith and I think England too) or been widened again.

2 minutes ago, davenportram said:

wikipedia has the opening measurements the same as now, and also that they are needed to be that to meet the requirements to host international matches.

so it must have either not been narrowed (as we hosted a Brazil match since Jim Smith and I think England too) or been widened again.

Not been widened again in my opinion.

Archived