Injury woes & our Jeff

Carl Sagan

I’ve waited until today and after the teams are announced to post this because I believe it’s important not to give the opposition information ahead of time.

Sadly the bad news I’ve heard is that Jeff’s now going to be out for the rest of the season. The “rest of the season” always sounds bad but effectively that’s only a matter of weeks now and he has a thigh strain that won’t recover in time. Not even for the playoffs I don’t think.

Hopefully he will make it in time and O’Neill will still put him on the plane to France.

The good news: we might have Hughes back in a few games’ time. And Bryson has played a few matches now and played them well with Hendrick alongside. That means there’s now a midfield berth for Butterfield, Johnson and Bryson to battle for while young Will gets closer.

Get well soon, Jeff!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, cosmic said:

As @nottingram just said in the matchday thread, it's probably not a coincidence he's 'injured' for the rest of the season in the run up to his trial.

Cheers for moving over here from the match thread. As I said on that, I'm told this is a genuine injury. I had thought the court case wasn't until after the Euros, but going back through the reports the next hearing is mentioned in those as "April".

This could give an opportunity for Butterfield and Bryson to gain some momentum, which in my opinion improves the team. 

On the other hand I hope this doesn't persuade us to bring Hughes back earlier than planned.  I'd rather save him for next season. How we have missed those creamy soft feet.

fear for us today. Bryson and butterfield never works. Too similar too light weight neither will do the box to box in a covering position point of view. We will loose today, unless when he makes a sub johnson or hendrick take over a central midfield position. mark my words.

16 minutes ago, Andrew3000 said:

This could give an opportunity for Butterfield and Bryson to gain some momentum, which in my opinion improves the team. 

On the other hand I hope this doesn't persuade us to bring Hughes back earlier than planned.  I'd rather save him for next season. How we have missed those creamy soft feet.

QPR away anyone?

57 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

QPR away anyone?

57 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

fear for us today. Bryson and butterfield never works. Too similar too light weight neither will do the box to box in a covering position point of view. We will loose today, unless when he makes a sub johnson or hendrick take over a central midfield position. mark my words.

How many times have they played together?  Bryson wont often play as poorly as he did against QPR because he's consistently dynamic.  After hearing that first half though, my confidence in Butterfield is waning....odd player.  Still, swap Johnson for someone with a bit of pace and he might have some options to play forwards.

Wassall's pretty much confirmed my info: http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/wassall-reports-mixed-injury-news-ahead-of-hull-clash-3041995.aspx

"Republic of Ireland international midfielder Hendrick missed Saturday’s 2-1 defeat at Cardiff City with a thigh injury sustained in training last week.

"The Academy graduate underwent a scan over the weekend which revealed a slight tear which Wassall says will force him to miss Derby’s next few games, but says when Hendrick returns to action is dependent on the progress he makes in his rehabilitation work."

Given "the next few games" are all condensed into a very short period before the regular season ends, although they're not saying he's out for the season, you can read that between the lines.

I think it's such a shame. A fit and firing Hendrick, bursting to prove himself ahead of the Euros should have been the best midfielder we had until Hughes returns. But speaking of Hughes, if he comes through against Fulham tonight, he might get 15 minutes against Bolton at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry for Jeff and wish him a speedy recovery from a physical point of view and trust that his legal woes will be resolved.

given Brysons current form and the size of the squad I don't have any midfield worries. As long as they play high up the field we can take on anyone. We have 3 to pick for two places, Will is on the mend and Hanson can make a go in any of the spots should the worst happen. 

My only fear is if we slump back in to the slow moving, deep sitting apathy that we have seen in the first 3 months of the year. 

Just now, HantsRam said:

Would perhaps be helpful to have cover/subs available for semi finals given 2 games are quite close together.

All the guys on loan come back to us for the playoffs. 

Archived