Derby County vs Nottingham Forest

DarkFruitsRam7

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sage said:

Is it a bird?    is it a plane?      No...it's Agenda Boy!! 

Calling it exactly as I see it. The flopping and lack of effort game in a team that clearly doesn't have multiple off the ball  runners and short passing around him has gotten away from him. Don t think you'd find too many impressed by his performances this season, including himself. I'll keep my comments to what I see on the field you can choose to keep focusing on me and name calling, I'm cool with that. 

1 minute ago, Howard Canitbé said:

A defender's primary job is to defend and Osborn had nothing all game, so I'd say Hanson did his job well. 

The 4-3-3 system necessitates the full backs to offer an attacking option so that the opposition defence gets out numbered on a one to one basis leaving a spare man to score. Hanson didn't offer the outlet that presumably because he had been asked to prevent Osborne from getting down their left wing.

Fortunately Olson was able to offer an option on the left with a good cross which Martin should have put away, and a good goal.

Having watched the game at QPR their first goal came from the left wing whereby Russell and our right back switched off allowing Perch to get down the left wing and cross for a good finish from Chery.Perhaps the management see the right back position as a weakness.

9 minutes ago, Howard Canitbé said:

A defender's primary job is to defend and Osborn had nothing all game, so I'd say Hanson did his job well. 

I'll reiterate (and I think Christie is excellent) that Hanson is our best defensive fullback and he's no chump going forward either, at least with respect to his passing. You notice it most in how he times his tackles so well, and how he holds his position well and doesn't get beat. 

16 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

The 4-3-3 system necessitates the full backs to offer an attacking option so that the opposition defence gets out numbered on a one to one basis leaving a spare man to score. Hanson didn't offer the outlet that presumably because he had been asked to prevent Osborne from getting down their left wing.

Fortunately Olson was able to offer an option on the left with a good cross which Martin should have put away, and a good goal.

Having watched the game at QPR their first goal came from the left wing whereby Russell and our right back switched off allowing Perch to get down the left wing and cross for a good finish from Chery.Perhaps the management see the right back position as a weakness.

You say that the job of the full backs in a 4-3-3 is to provide an extra attacking option, however how many times have we seen that having two attacking full backs can leave the centre backs exposed? In 13/14 I don't think many would argue Wisdom was attacking in any way but he was widely regarded as excellent in the role, whilst Forsyth offered an attacking threat down the left. I'm not convinced that either Olsson or Christie are as proficient in their defensive duties as Wisdom was, and when one advances up the pitch I don't think the one remaining back is an effective enough defensive unit to help out the centre backs. Which is where having a full back with a more defensive mindset (Hanson) comes in handy.

I don't think it was necessarily that he was asked to stop Osborn specifically, it could just as easily have been that that is in effect the full back's job anyway and he did it well. 

PistoldPete2
15 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I'll reiterate (and I think Christie is excellent) that Hanson is our best defensive fullback and he's no chump going forward either, at least with respect to his passing. You notice it most in how he times his tackles so well, and how he holds his position well and doesn't get beat. 

Yes I think Hanson did very well, a clean sheet and also his cross which Hendrick nodded down was part of the excellent build up to an excellent goal. he aint bad going forward not a flying full back like Olsson or Christie but maybe a bit more vision than either of them. Dont think he will be  great player but he could become   a very good one.

9 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

A right full back with a primary focus on defence? The return of split centre backs?  I have nagging feeling that our new football advisor has seen this somewhere before.  Can't think where though...

I'd also like to think someone identified Lichaj as a weak link that we could exploit by loading our attack on the left.

18 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Calling it exactly as I see it. The flopping and lack of effort game in a team that clearly doesn't have multiple off the ball  runners and short passing around him has gotten away from him. Don t think you'd find too many impressed by his performances this season, including himself. I'll keep my comments to what I see on the field you can choose to keep focusing on me and name calling, I'm cool with that. 

You are spot-on.He had at least 3 golden chances to score from Olssons crosses alone.I was watching the game with a couple of friends on tele, Olsson  received the ball put in a perfect cross.I looked and Martin was hardly moving towards the 6 yard box I was screaming at him to start his run a few seconds earlier,he arrived too late.We rewound to see it again,and it showed exactly what I saw.To make things worse it  happened again a few minutes later,again a perfect cross from Olssen. A bit later in the 2nd half again It was Olssen,down to the by-line,there was no one at the near post,Martin decided to stay in the middle with defenders around him.He should have made a run to the near post. I have always been an admirer,but not anymore,he has lost it. Olssen could have had 3 assists with a half-decent striker,there. By this time I had nearly lost my voice screaming at him.I don't know what Phillips is doing,isn't he supposed to be coaching and advising? I have never been a fan of Bent,but he couldn't have done any worse.I hope Rednapp has enough clout to alter things,and get it sorted.

42 minutes ago, Ninos said:

You are looking at what you see with a pre-conceived agenda.

Would you like us to pick Bent instead? Blackman? Weimann?

1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Shining wit.

2 hours ago, top 6 finish said:

We will see if 'arry agrees.

To be fair dropping Johnson isn't the worst idea in the world only because Ince is so much better on the left than the right. For me Martin is still streets ahead of Bent and Blackman even if he never gets out of second gear so I'd be astounded if he's dropped due to anything other than injury.

26 minutes ago, Anon said:

To be fair dropping Johnson isn't the worst idea in the world only because Ince is so much better on the left than the right. For me Martin is still streets ahead of Bent and Blackman even if he never gets out of second gear so I'd be astounded if he's dropped due to anything other than injury.

Hendrick seemed to improve when Johnson went off.

(perhaps it was just a coincidence, but I'm not so sure.)

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

As for Martin, well, how much longer he continues to get a free ride in this side is mind boggling. Fell over, turned the ball over, no runs, gave up a lot, and hardly involved. Plus he couldn't get on the end of anything - and a half decent striker would have buried the olssen cross. 

Couldn't agree more. He's having a shocker of a season. The only thing that surprises me is that there's nobody on here leaping to his defence. The apologists had us believe that Bryson's return would result in magical edge of the box interplay. Well, Bryson's doing his bit,where's CM?

I thought Russell's energy transformed us. They had the first 15 minutes and we had the last 30.

I'm happy with Hanson replacing Christie, just need Russell in for Johnson and Butterfield in for Hendrick IMO

Archived