Bundesliga

EssendonRam

Hey all. A quick question: until recently, I have really only watched the Bundesliga occasionally. Always thought the standard of football good, very watchable but, in Australia, it was difficult to pay it too much attention given I watch the Prem and the Championship religiously.

Until this season, I have usually subscribed to Setanta/Bein around the major games and the playoffs but watched convinced by a fellow Australian Ram that it was well worth the annual subscription.

He was right.

Not only do I now watch most Championship games they broadcast and Leicester in the Premiership (instead of most Prem games and the Derby matches) but have been sucked into the Bundesliga. It's second only to the Championship for watchability right now. (The English rugby union has me more interested too...)

As a consequence, I want to adopt a Bundesliga club.  Any suggestions? And why you think they're the right match. As a guide, my two great sporting loves are my AFL club, Essendon who wear a black guernsey with a red sash (best uniform in world sport in my opinion), and of course Derby County.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having visited a host of German cities, I've become quite fond of a few clubs.

That said, there is literally nothing to do in the west so teams like Dortmund, Borussia Monchengladbach, Cologne, Schalke and Bayer Leverkusen are massively boosted by the backing of real working class fans.

When there isn't much to do, you watch football and do it with a passion.

I can see why everyone dislikes Bayern Munich. It's a Hollywood club. Munich is an amazing city far in the south, with such a better climate than the rest of Germany, amazing scenery with the mountains, such a friendly place, so many beer gardens, parks etc. and the Allianz Arena is fabulous.

You can understand why Lewandowski and Gotze left Dortmund for Munich. Aside from going to a better football team, they would have improved their lifestyle tenfold.

I, personally, have a soft spot for Frankfurt after sneaking in to their stadium and having my own personal tour. That's a cracking ground too.

But to answer your question, Dortmund, Schalke and Leverkusen are great football teams and within close proximity so the rivarly between the three, plus Monchengladbach and Cologne, is pretty good.

Bayern Munich suffer from having very little rivals. 1860 Munich are a league below, Augsburg relatively close but not big enough. Teams like Werder Bremen and Hamburg are miles away.

I watch the Bundesliga highlights every Monday night (ITV4 I think?) and it's a pretty good league to watch. I'm not sure if it's only the weeks I've watched but the quality of goalkeeping seems to be very poor. Lee Grant would probably be number 1 for a high bottom half side.

It's strange when you think of some of the current German keepers like Neuer and ter Stegen, and some of the past ones like Kahn.

1 hour ago, RamDon said:

Hey all. A quick question: until recently, I have really only watched the Bundesliga occasionally. Always thought the standard of football good, very watchable but, in Australia, it was difficult to pay it too much attention given I watch the Prem and the Championship religiously.

Until this season, I have usually subscribed to Setanta/Bein around the major games and the playoffs but watched convinced by a fellow Australian Ram that it was well worth the annual subscription.

He was right.

Not only do I now watch most Championship games they broadcast and Leicester in the Premiership (instead of most Prem games and the Derby matches) but have been sucked into the Bundesliga. It's second only to the Championship for watchability right now. (The English rugby union has me more interested too...)

As a consequence, I want to adopt a Bundesliga club.  Any suggestions? And why you think they're the right match. As a guide, my two great sporting loves are my AFL club, Essendon who wear a black guernsey with a red sash (best uniform in world sport in my opinion), and of course Derby County.

I'd wait and see if a doping incident ever comes up in Germany, then support that club. Will create a feeling of home if you're an Essendon fan. 

In all seriousness though, watch more games, get a feel for players you like watching, for clubs you like the style of and go from there. Either that or you can make a poll or something and let us decide for you. 

Too bad you're not a Collingwood fan though, as the answer would be simple then, you could support scum like RB Leipzig who'll probably be promoted this season. 

Bayer leverkusen are quite interesting from a distance.

they seem to like to develop young talent. They look like the Spurs of the bundesliga.

right now they have jedvaj, tah, wendell, calhanoglu, brandt.....

16 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Bayer leverkusen are quite interesting from a distance.

they seem to like to develop young talent. They look like the Spurs of the bundesliga.

right now they have jedvaj, tah, wendell, calhanoglu, brandt.....

They were my first thought...obviously with Bayern Munich.

Their strip is very stylish too...the rebel in me prefers sides not already at the top though...

As a Derby supporter in Australia surrounded by lemmings (I started to type 'sheep' but then felt self-conscious)...everyone here supports one of the big few.

Still remember a friend if my nephew boasting about flipping Chelsea winning their second title...until I pointed out that it only meant they'd just drawn level with Derby...

26 minutes ago, Albert said:

I'd wait and see if a doping incident ever comes up in Germany, then support that club. Will create a feeling of home if you're an Essendon fan. 

In all seriousness though, watch more games, get a feel for players you like watching, for clubs you like the style of and go from there. Either that or you can make a poll or something and let us decide for you. 

Too bad you're not a Collingwood fan though, as the answer would be simple then, you could support scum like RB Leipzig who'll probably be promoted this season. 

You've given me an idea...I can look for the most unjustly persecuted club in Germany...preferably one done over by the Swiss...

Darn...highly unlikely on both counts.

1 hour ago, RamDon said:

You've given me an idea...I can look for the most unjustly persecuted club in Germany...preferably one done over by the Swiss...

Darn...highly unlikely on both counts.

"Persecuted"? 

Maybe Wolfsburg? They're in with the whole Volkswagen controversy at the moment aren't they? 

Mate, Essendon stuffed up disgracefully letting those shysters anywhere near our players. I am actually of the view our penalties were 'unders'.

But the CAS decision to suspend the players is wrong and unjust on so many levels. Frankly, it's been done out of spite because Essendon and Hird humiliated ASADA throughout the process. It's not a coincidence that the CAS judgement specifically clears James Hird of any wrongdoing four times. Even James doesn't clear James of "any wrongdoing"; when the guy is not even a party to the case they're sitting in judgement on, it's either incredibly generous of them...or there to deliver a coded warning.

That the CAS judgement overturns the precedent CAS had maintained since 2004 and significantly extends the athlete's liability in cases where there's either no positive test or other compelling presumptive evidence (a la Armstrong). CAS simply dismissed the need to show that TB4 was present and injected into Essendon players.

Every single one of the 16 "strands of the cable" is either demonstrably wrong - sometimes because evidence has been falsified or misrepresented by ASADA - or applicable to only a handful of the 34 players.

You might gather that I'm fully conversant with the case and always happy to discuss it. After all, the material just keeps flowing.

Only a matter of days ago, Ben McDevitt testified to a Senate hearing that an additional 4 players signed consent forms for Thymosin (not TB4) but testified that they'd no injections. That immediately drew the idiot Senators to the conclusion that the testimony was the only nexus. That's a somewhat asinine oversimplification and McDevitt was quite right in dismissing it.

What he could not explain was how ASADA had not realised that 2 of the 4 had never testified at all; on the other hand, the Senators failed to draw the parallel between 2 of the 34 who testified that they had no and 1 injection respectively. The substance Mark McVeigh was given is known, satisfactorily documented and not in dispute; CAS held, in effect, that because McVeigh couldn't pronounce melatanin (I believe it is, as opposed to the tanning drug, melatonin....I think I have those two the right way around) correctly, he had been given Thymosin Beta 4.

The decision to suspend the players is perverse. That it could only be achieved by altering the appeal rules after the case had started will, hopefully, offer sufficient grounds for the appeal to succeed.

It should be.

1 hour ago, RamDon said:

Mate, Essendon stuffed up disgracefully letting those shysters anywhere near our players. I am actually of the view our penalties were 'unders'.

But the CAS decision to suspend the players is wrong and unjust on so many levels. Frankly, it's been done out of spite because Essendon and Hird humiliated ASADA throughout the process. It's not a coincidence that the CAS judgement specifically clears James Hird of any wrongdoing four times. Even James doesn't clear James of "any wrongdoing"; when the guy is not even a party to the case they're sitting in judgement on, it's either incredibly generous of them...or there to deliver a coded warning.

That the CAS judgement overturns the precedent CAS had maintained since 2004 and significantly extends the athlete's liability in cases where there's either no positive test or other compelling presumptive evidence (a la Armstrong). CAS simply dismissed the need to show that TB4 was present and injected into Essendon players.

Every single one of the 16 "strands of the cable" is either demonstrably wrong - sometimes because evidence has been falsified or misrepresented by ASADA - or applicable to only a handful of the 34 players.

You might gather that I'm fully conversant with the case and always happy to discuss it. After all, the material just keeps flowing.

Only a matter of days ago, Ben McDevitt testified to a Senate hearing that an additional 4 players signed consent forms for Thymosin (not TB4) but testified that they'd no injections. That immediately drew the idiot Senators to the conclusion that the testimony was the only nexus. That's a somewhat asinine oversimplification and McDevitt was quite right in dismissing it.

What he could not explain was how ASADA had not realised that 2 of the 4 had never testified at all; on the other hand, the Senators failed to draw the parallel between 2 of the 34 who testified that they had no and 1 injection respectively. The substance Mark McVeigh was given is known, satisfactorily documented and not in dispute; CAS held, in effect, that because McVeigh couldn't pronounce melatanin (I believe it is, as opposed to the tanning drug, melatonin....I think I have those two the right way around) correctly, he had been given Thymosin Beta 4.

The decision to suspend the players is perverse. That it could only be achieved by altering the appeal rules after the case had started will, hopefully, offer sufficient grounds for the appeal to succeed.

It should be.

Fair enough way of putting it. It's a very messy situation and it'll be interesting to see where it all falls. 

10 hours ago, Albert said:

In all seriousness though, watch more games, get a feel for players you like watching, for clubs you like the style of and go from there. 

Saturday March 12th 2016, an unforgettable date to go in the diary.

I agree with Albert.

Watch more games and see who you naturally fall in love with, I'm not sure waking up one day and becoming a Bayern fan for example because of Bris's trip advisor review is how you become a fan of a club.

The only thing I would say is try and look at the top half of the table at clubs that have a chance of winning something, no point in following another Derby, will only lead to severe depression.

Saying that, it narrows it down to 2 in the Bundesliga, do you go yellow and become a hipster or red and be a glory boy. Jeeez what a choice....my advice? Cancel that subscription and find a new league!

Ingolstadt play in the right colours for you.

They are small and will likely never win anything.

They are from Bavaria, which is the best part of Germany.

They currently have one of your fellow criminals playing up front.

On 12 March 2016 at 21:48, Daveo said:

Saturday March 12th 2016, an unforgettable date to go in the diary.

I agree with Albert.

Watch more games and see who you naturally fall in love with, I'm not sure waking up one day and becoming a Bayern fan for example because of Bris's trip advisor review is how you become a fan of a club.

The only thing I would say is try and look at the top half of the table at clubs that have a chance of winning something, no point in following another Derby, will only lead to severe depression.

Saying that, it narrows it down to 2 in the Bundesliga, do you go yellow and become a hipster or red and be a glory boy. Jeeez what a choice....my advice? Cancel that subscription and find a new league!

Boy, do I feel like I've copped a whack from Daveo's elbow on the way through!

Daveo's world-weary, slightly incredulous sarcasm aside, the responses had much of the sort of context I was looking for...Now feeling a little like I need to defend asking a reasonably straightforward question, I'll add that I have only casually watched the Bundesliga for years. I've always thought it pretty watchable but saw matches too infrequently to develop an interest.

But as my quantity of sleep diminishes, the number of Championship games I watch live increases...until, inexplicably from this end, they've dropped off suddenly in recent weeks.

There was only one broadcast this weekend, live and then replayed while the rest of the round was being played. As a result, I have watched more Bundesliga...

I am sure any fealty toward any particular club or clubs will ebb and flow as I become more familiar with the clubs and players...hence the request for background...

As it happens, I liked Bris's travelogue because that's what impressed him. The Bundesliga is an unusual beast, given the impact of war, partition and reunification. Many of the German clubs are quite young while the more traditional ones have quite colourful histories.

So I'm happy asking 'silly' questions if that's ok. I'm never fearful of stumbling across things I don't know from others' perspectives.

Even grumpy, close-minded perspectives can be valuable!

On 12 March 2016 at 22:15, Anon said:

Ingolstadt play in the right colours for you.

They are small and will likely never win anything.

They are from Bavaria, which is the best part of Germany.

They currently have one of your fellow criminals playing up front.

He he. The convicts in my family are far more recent, trust me. My antecedents from England and Scotland were all free settlers and I take a vague pride in continuing their utterly undistinguished line.

But, since my sporting affiliations tend to have their genesis in familial ties, I may have to see if we're like the Windsors and have Nazis lurking in the closet.

I saw Robbie Kruse playing last night. I'd thought he was on loan actual then recognised those spindly features. Matthew Leckie's playing in the Bundesliga too...makes mental note to remind myself of previous mental note to look up which club he plays for.

Funnily enough, Bayer Leverkusen, FC Ingolstadt and Mainz (to prove it's not just about the colours; I have already worked out that half of the Bundesliga clubs wear red and black) are three sides I have found myself liking how they play. Borussia Dortmund too but a close mate barracks for them...so they're out.

Archived