Bundesliga

EssendonRam

7 hours ago, RamDon said:

Boy, do I feel like I've copped a whack from Daveo's elbow on the way through!

Daveo's world-weary, slightly incredulous sarcasm aside, the responses had much of the sort of context I was looking for...Now feeling a little like I need to defend asking a reasonably straightforward question, I'll add that I have only casually watched the Bundesliga for years. I've always thought it pretty watchable but saw matches too infrequently to develop an interest.

But as my quantity of sleep diminishes, the number of Championship games I watch live increases...until, inexplicably from this end, they've dropped off suddenly in recent weeks.

There was only one broadcast this weekend, live and then replayed while the rest of the round was being played. As a result, I have watched more Bundesliga...

I am sure any fealty toward any particular club or clubs will ebb and flow as I become more familiar with the clubs and players...hence the request for background...

As it happens, I liked Bris's travelogue because that's what impressed him. The Bundesliga is an unusual beast, given the impact of war, partition and reunification. Many of the German clubs are quite young while the more traditional ones have quite colourful histories.

So I'm happy asking 'silly' questions if that's ok. I'm never fearful of stumbling across things I don't know from others' perspectives.

Even grumpy, close-minded perspectives can be valuable!

Steady on! Wasn't having a pop at all, just that don't try and force the urge to follow a club, let nature take it's course that's all

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't say I 'follow' a German club although I do have a favourite which is Borussia Monchengladbach. Admittedly part of the reason is FM, I managed them for a while and really like some of the players they have. They seem to play good football whenever I've watched them although this season has been very up an down.

Also, who could dislike their name? Give me a B!...

I have a Bundesliga side by default @RamDon, having watched Hertha take on Werder Bremen earlier this season. I intended to go as a neutral but I find it really hard not to take a side, especially with a ckear underdog playing. Was really impressed with the quality of the game and the attitude of both sets of fans. We got a lot of attention because they get barely any football tourists at all, what with there being so much to do in Berlin. Hertha have some of the best attendances in Europe despite being a perennial mid-table side, and at one point in the early 2000s, Berlin was the only capital city in Europe not to have a team from its capital city in the top flight of the domestic league. Howzat for underachievement!? Have to say I was impressed with the 12,000 Bremen fans who made the 4 hour trip for a Friday night TV game as well.

Part of the reason for Hertha's underachievement could be attributed to Berlin's erratic 20th century history. It's hard for a city to put together a decent football club together when there's a dirty great wall running through the middle of it, splitting two opposing political ideologies. If injustice is what you're after RamDon, how about a club whose fans were taken away and interrogated by the Stasi in a dark bunker for the crime of listening out for goals near the Berlin Wall? 

Their ground's a bit creepy though - it's the 1936 Olympic stadium. All the Nazi paraphernalia has long since gone of course, and the stadium was tarted up for the 2006 World Cup, but the architecture is still pretty unmistakable. 

30 minutes ago, Kernow said:

I wouldn't say I 'follow' a German club although I do have a favourite which is Borussia Monchengladbach. Admittedly part of the reason is FM, I managed them for a while and really like some of the players they have. They seem to play good football whenever I've watched them although this season has been very up an down.

Always reminds me of soccer am, Bourissa Munchinflapjack :lol:

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

I like them as well. I think one of the reasons I like them and FC Hollywood is because they were great in the 70's like us.

5 hours ago, Duracell said:

I have a Bundesliga side by default @RamDon, having watched Hertha take on Werder Bremen earlier this season. I intended to go as a neutral but I find it really hard not to take a side, especially with a ckear underdog playing. Was really impressed with the quality of the game and the attitude of both sets of fans. We got a lot of attention because they get barely any football tourists at all, what with there being so much to do in Berlin. Hertha have some of the best attendances in Europe despite being a perennial mid-table side, and at one point in the early 2000s, Berlin was the only capital city in Europe not to have a team from its capital city in the top flight of the domestic league. Howzat for underachievement!? Have to say I was impressed with the 12,000 Bremen fans who made the 4 hour trip for a Friday night TV game as well.

Part of the reason for Hertha's underachievement could be attributed to Berlin's erratic 20th century history. It's hard for a city to put together a decent football club together when there's a dirty great wall running through the middle of it, splitting two opposing political ideologies. If injustice is what you're after RamDon, how about a club whose fans were taken away and interrogated by the Stasi in a dark bunker for the crime of listening out for goals near the Berlin Wall? 

Their ground's a bit creepy though - it's the 1936 Olympic stadium. All the Nazi paraphernalia has long since gone of course, and the stadium was tarted up for the 2006 World Cup, but the architecture is still pretty unmistakable. 

My brother lives in Berlin. It's such a brilliant city, so much history there. 

And I totally understand your view on the football. Strange how one of the biggest capital cities in Europe doesn't have a particularly great football team, but then again, with its history, it's totally understandable.

They're doing pretty well this season though. They are very much a sleeping giant, and not the Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday or Newcastle United type either.

7 hours ago, Duracell said:

Brilliant.

For all of you Bundesliga fans, keep an eye on Leipzig in the second division. I guess they're like the German championship version of us or Boro .However, everyone in Germany hates Leipzig because of the red bull connection and they're the pure definition of a plastic club as they were only formed 7 years ago, I guess in that respect hated like English fans hate MK Dons. I remember listening to Rafa Honigstein talking about them and he made some interesting points that WHEN they get promoted they will challenge Bayern for the title because of their unlimited funding. It will be interesting to see how that project plays out because in particular what has happened to Wolfsburg recently with their so called unlimited funding.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah the Bundesliga is top class entertainment.  I don't understand why it doesn't have a domestic TV deal bringing in billions like the Premier League has, you would think there would be a large enough TV audience in Germany.   It's a shame St.Pauli look like they'll miss out on promotion this year.   Can anyone stop Dortmund for the Europa League...they look like they are back to their best, great to watch. 

Been living in Germany last 5 months on internship and have adopted Greuther Furth as my second team as its where I'm living working. Just got tickets for their next game at home in the safe standing with all the 'rowdy fans' according to the chap selling the tickets so should be good fun. Also went to watch Nuremberg play on Sunday at home to Leipzig. Was interesting to see the comparisons between 2.Bundesliga and the Championship - especially as Nuremberg are 3rd and Leipzig 1st so was a decent crowd and atmosphere (40k out of 50k capacity). Really looking forward to experiencing the safe standing as well!

Archived