Man Citeh

Animal is a Ram

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

But probably the least challenging squad in the prem non-the-less. It's only City's defense that needs work really. What I'll be interested in is how their fortunes change in the UCL, and for that I'm intrigued to see how far Pellegrini gets them.

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of the Champions League considering Pep's sides normally get to the Semi Final as a minimum.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Penelope Pendrex said:

What do we think Messi would cost? Everyone has their price. I'm guessing £250m.

In 2012 the Independent reported that Messi has a £205m release clause in his contract after it was allegedly triggered by a Russian club (which he then turned down). Obviously, don't know the truth in that or if anything has changed even if it was but I'd imagine if there's no release clause you'd have to offer £300m+ for Barca to actually accept it. 

10 minutes ago, rynny said:

I thought we just let them take it off us

Well, it depends. There were a few players, like Oakley, who could actually pass. But then there were others, like Pearson, who probably just gave the ball up if someone came near him.

3 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Well, it depends. There were a few players, like Oakley, who could actually pass. But then there were others, like Pearson, who probably just gave the ball up if someone came near him.

I guess it also depends if we are talking pre or post o's interference, (:lol:) where we went from ***** to utter *****.

With Pearson for him to get the ball to travel more than 5 yards 1 of 2 things had to happen, either he had to control it or dribble with it.  :lol:

5 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

He's such a special case that it's hard to know. The only thing is that he has 4 less years than he did then and also he is likely to lose some speed in the next couple of years and score fewer goals. It's probably the right time to sell if they would ever consider it.

For sure. 298 goals in 331 games. From the youth set-up. But I don't see him ever regressing to the point he isn't starting for Barca. I'll think he'll retire before he becomes a bit-part player (and by that I don't mean he'll retire early, he'll just stay relevant for longer).

I suppose it's not unfeasible for him to move on in the next few years for a last big payday but for some reason I just don't see him ever leaving Barca. Although I wouldn't have expected Xavi to move in search of a payday either. 

1 minute ago, SaintRam said:

For sure. 298 goals in 331 games. From the youth set-up. But I don't see him ever regressing to the point he isn't starting for Barca. I'll think he'll retire before he becomes a bit-part player (and by that I don't mean he'll retire early, he'll just stay relevant for longer).

I suppose it's not unfeasible for him to move on in the next few years for a last big payday but for some reason I just don't see him ever leaving Barca. Although I wouldn't have expected Xavi to move in search of a payday either.

Just seen on another forum (although Google doesn't exactly confirm it for sure) that he currently has a £250m release clause.

If there's any clause in there it at least shows that he isn't against leaving should the right offer come. And playing for Guardiola elsewhere has to be as enticing as it gets.

7 minutes ago, rynny said:

I guess it also depends if we are talking pre or post o's interference, (:lol:) where we went from ***** to utter *****.

With Pearson for him to get the ball to travel more than 5 yards 1 of 2 things had to happen, either he had to control it or dribble with it.  :lol:

Thank God, on that fateful day at Wembley, when the ball hit him, his foot just happened to be pointing in the right direction for it to deflect it into the back of the net!

Just now, Penelope Pendrex said:

Just seen on another forum (although Google doesn't exactly confirm it for sure) that he currently has a £250m release clause.

If there's any clause in there it at least shows that he isn't against leaving should the right offer come. And playing for Guardiola elsewhere has to be as enticing as it gets.

Perhaps, and I certainly wouldn't be against him playing in England. Personally I think that release clause was added by Barca to stop people making realistic offers. 

2 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Thank God, on that fateful day at Wembley, when the ball hit him, his foot just happened to be pointing in the right direction for it to deflect it into the back of the net!

Fell over it didn't he?

4 minutes ago, StaffsRam said:

Thank God?

Sod's law it was. Winning that game was one of the worst things that happened to us. 

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Perhaps, and I certainly wouldn't be against him playing in England. Personally I think that release clause was added by Barca to stop people making realistic offers.

Apparently a Russian team matched it but he wouldn't go.

I heard on a programme recently that to Man City's owners the money involved is a drop in the ocean. I don't know if FFP is a factor (I'm still unsure of how seriously the big teams take it or need to take it), but I can definitely see them triggering it.

Archived