What's missing?

Sexydadbod

1 hour ago, YouRams said:

Think that's a little harsh on Christie, the boro game the rest of the defence were stood admiring the passing and Nugent was offside. Apparently two were offside tonight not seen them back, so surely that's poor officiating rather than Christie at fault? 

1st and 3rd were offside

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's missing.....pace, tempo and playing higher up the pitch. We won't score goals with square balls across the back 4 and with a CF isolated and surrounded by defenders with no one to help him. 

8 hours ago, McLovin said:

On paper our team looks good but I feel there is something missing. Maybe Hughes or Bryson getting closer to Martin because our current midfield dont play close to him. I don't think it's even an issue of going into the transfer market because I have no idea what specific position we need to strengthen.

I'd say it's young Will, his link up play between CM and the midfield is the key factor missing from our free flowing, goal getting previous. 

Im still not alarmed by results yet personally as I believe we have the ability and unity in the side to turn this blip on its head and for me Bryson and Hendrick hasve to be given a run of matches to offer something different. 

6 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

1st and 3rd were offside

ive watched it back and just cant see the offsides....who is supposed to be offside and when?

We are lacking pace and confidence, the thing is the pace is there in the team. We are also letting in goals we werent before.

Need a few wins...start tuesday...that will do.

3 minutes ago, simsdcfc said:

Rooney first martial second ... its only a few inches but offside is offside

Looks like George plays rooney onside, and just cant see the martial offside....looks to be at least level with christie when the ball played to him.

6 minutes ago, simsdcfc said:

When the bbc paused it and put a line across the back 4 they appear to be offide by a few inch.

If the linesman was as accurate as goal line tech then they would of been called offside

fair enough then...ive only watched the highlights on the website. If it was it was so close, i can understand why not given as offside.

8 hours ago, Leeds Ram said:

Confidence

To me, there are three primary factors at play here. First and most obviously, we are yet to quite gel as a unit. It seems to me it's obvious what Clement is trying to implement but, while it's worked very well at times, it is clearly not intuitive yet. Nowhere near it in fact.

To see why Clement is "so defensively oriented" you only need to contrast Karanka's Boro this season with his Boro unit last season. That extra season he's had that squad is critical to their cohesion...which increases their predictability to each other...and their inherent confidence in the system.

It's the structure which will get us as far away from the Keystone Cops routine of last season...and last week.

The second factor is how extensive the philosophical change actually was. Players who thrived under an 'all out attack' game style until other factors caused it to go awry (see #3 below) are subconsciously second-guessing the 'control tempo first, then strike forward' with even the slightest uncertainty cause to delay attacking movement, converting the game plan into 'control tempo so completely the concept of attack seems unnecessary because time in possession determines who wins now...doesn't it?'

It seems pretty clear some players may not be suited to a more nuanced game style. Some Clement seems to have made a call on already (where is Darren Bent?), while others either he's still evaluating or believes they'll get there.

If you accept this view, it's only a matter of times until everything clicks

But the third possible factor is the one which concerns me. Perhaps the issue is just CONFIDENCE. Perhaps the club  - as a whole is brittle right through to the heart of the squad? Most, I suspect, would concede the extent of the calamity of 2007 badly affected the club. GSE and Nigel set about paring back and streamlining the club to build anew.

To expunge the stench of failure. It seemed to work...Expectations soared under McLaren...until we were floored once again by flipping Bobby Zamora. I have long felt many Derby fans are still haunted by that loss as evidenced by how quickly the iPro crowd becomes jittery when things aren't going to plan...let alone the very uncharacteristic booing and catcalling of players on the pitch (uncharacteristic for Derby...remember how long it took us to turn on the 2007 clodhoppers? I'm pretty certain it was only the 5-0 caning by West Ham in late November...who were 19th at the time).

But, more importantly, key players are potentially still haunted by that failure which is reinforced when they sense jitters among the crowd...let alone hostility. We've seen several players react demonstrably when that's happened including some who weren't part of that PO Final.

I'm not asserting #3 is correct, just putting it out there. It may explain how Keogh and Shakell - who've been so solid all season - suddenly turned into a dual calamity against Burnley. The sense of panic in the side struck me when Boro clearly outclassed us early in that game although I thought we did well to hold Boro at bay for as long as we did.

Then the fiasco against Burnley. The match commentator didn't exaggerate when he described us as imploding that day. Our structure and poise disappeared completely. It was eerily reminiscent of March-April 2015.

Then, having staunchly defended Martin and Ince all season, I found myself watching them completely at each other's throats against United. Worrying signs indeed.

But if our confidence is brittle under the dual burden of expectations and recent history, standing toe-to-toe for 40 minutes with a clearly superior United side might just be the circuit breaker Clement needs to cut through.

Of course, I could just be talking complete carp....

12 hours ago, YouRams said:

Booooo Christie out. Got done by a player that cost a measly 60mil. Gone to **** hasn't he.... 

I think you have severely misinterpreted the post. I'm not criticizing Christie but it shows how a few months can change a player's confidence. Christie clearly has the defensive quality because he had Marco Reus in his back pocket, who is a much better player than martial.

I think everyone is looking at this in an over-complicated manner

What is the issue ? The issue is that we have almost two teams of very good individual footballers , the majority of whom are performing way, way below their potential.

Without being on the inside, its difficult to know why this is happening . But I would hazard a guess at the following :

- our  way of playing (if there is such a thing - to me its not that obvious)  is far too complicated, unenjoyable  and constantly changing

- the players have lost confidence in Clement and what he is trying to do.

- we have too many players, signed in too short a period, many signed on big wages, leading to resentment from some of the others who previously gave us some success in very different circumstances

In other words I would look to the top of the organisation for answers, not the individual players. The former have created the problem and they must sort it out, as they surely know.

If I ran an organisation in which the majority of our people were, time after time, falling well short of their capability , I would only look to the way I was running it for answers . I certainly wouldn't be blaming the individual capabilities of those people and questioning their motivation.

14 minutes ago, ValeRam said:

I think everyone is looking at this in an over-complicated manner

What is the issue ? The issue is that we have almost two teams of very good individual footballers , the majority of whom are performing way, way below their potential.

Without being on the inside, its difficult to know why this is happening . But I would hazard a guess at the following :

- our  way of playing (if there is such a thing - to me its not that obvious)  is far too complicated, unenjoyable  and constantly changing

- the players have lost confidence in Clement and what he is trying to do.

- we have too many players, signed in too short a period, many signed on big wages, leading to resentment from some of the others who previously gave us some success in very different circumstances

In other words I would look to the top of the organisation for answers, not the individual players. The former have created the problem and they must sort it out, as they surely know.

If I ran an organisation in which the majority of our people were, time after time, falling well short of their capability , I would only look to the way I was running it for answers . I certainly wouldn't be blaming the individual capabilities of those people and questioning their motivation.

Except they haven't lost confidence in Clement have they. 

I mean what proof have you got about that  ! 

Archived