Stabbing in Derby City centre.

StockholmRam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Tombo said:

I might be too young to trot out this phrase with any credibility but...

...what is happening to the city I love?...

The same that is happening all over the country. Youngsters that have never been disciplined by parents because of the threat from some clown from social services that doesn't know the difference between child abuse and discipline are turning feral and nobody is prepared to do a damn thing about it. 

No discipline in the home, no discipline at school and a namby pamby state that insists they are either misunderstood or have a disorder that excuses them from acting like decent human beings that their parents can claim benefits for.

1 minute ago, ossieram said:

The same that is happening all over the country. Youngsters that have never been disciplined by parents because of the threat from some clown from social services that doesn't know the difference between child abuse and discipline are turning feral and nobody is prepared to do a damn thing about it. 

No discipline in the home, no discipline at school and a namby pamby state that insists they are either misunderstood or have a disorder that excuses them from acting like decent human beings that their parents can claim benefits for.

According to who? To you?

This whole "the current generation are much worse than the last" (you haven't said it but implied it) is said about every generation. It seems to be human convention to think the next generation is going to be the worst yet and I don't see any truth in it. I've only recently come out of school and I recall there being discipline. Yes some kids from my school have or will become criminals but that's always been the path some people will end up going down sadly.

15 minutes ago, Jordy said:

According to who? To you?

This whole "the current generation are much worse than the last" (you haven't said it but implied it) is said about every generation. It seems to be human convention to think the next generation is going to be the worst yet and I don't see any truth in it. I've only recently come out of school and I recall there being discipline. Yes some kids from my school have or will become criminals but that's always been the path some people will end up going down sadly.

Yep.

I'm no proffessor or any other kind of professional and can only give my opinion. I left school 37 years ago and was a long way from being an angel, I got into trouble in school and would get the cane or the slipper, I got home and got the belt of my dad because he would believe what the school told him rather than run up to the school and kick off with them. If I got into trouble out of school and got caught, I got the belt and didn't get out of the house for a week. I was a naughty kid and nobody made excuses for me and I knew the risks I was taking when I got into bother.

I also got into the odd scrape after leaving school as did a few of my mates, but we would have a fight and never once did I see a knife get pulled, we never thought of mugging anyone or ganging up on one person or even walk the streets threatening innocent people. We did have arranged fights with youths from other parts of Derby as we grew up, but that was fights between groups that wanted a scrap and no weapons were ever used. Then we grew up and got jobs and left all that stuff behind us.

There are more muggings and knife related crimes now than there has ever been and the majority are carried out by gangs of youths who would go running home to mummy if they ever got caught on there own and got a slap.

When I left school in the early 1970's the murder rate was about what it is now - around 450 per year in the entire country.

They call those numbers 'Saturday' in the USA. Saying that the country is going to the dogs, that socety is breaking down etc is an exaggeration. By and large we still have a law-abiding society.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Totally disagree regarding social services...

Tend to be damned if they do, damned if they don't...

are there really more of these crimes or do we just hear about more of them with the advent of technology. Internet gives instant reporting, facebook etc... spread it exponentially and 24 hour news channels need to fill the time.

in the past we had a few news bulletins and newspapers, they had to be selective about what was reported.

I'm not going to argue with Eddie regarding the figures from the 70's and now, what I would like to chuck into the ring though is I don't recall knife crime being an issue in schools.

In recent years we've had the lady teacher in Leeds, another in Bradford and a young lad in Aberdeen not long before Christmas murdered by a classmate.

These things I'm certain in saying were unheard of in my youth, I don't remember anyone in my circle carrying a knife. What I do remember though is being stopped by a copper in Victoria Street for having no front light on my bike. What's that got to do with anything you might ask ?

My answer would be there was proper coppers on the beat, acting as a deterrent, making people feel safe, that kind of thing, it's about time we started thinking about helping Old Bill instead of forcing them to make cuts everywhere.

38 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm not going to argue with Eddie regarding the figures from the 70's and now, what I would like to chuck into the ring though is I don't recall knife crime being an issue in schools.

In recent years we've had the lady teacher in Leeds, another in Bradford and a young lad in Aberdeen not long before Christmas murdered by a classmate.

These things I'm certain in saying were unheard of in my youth, I don't remember anyone in my circle carrying a knife. What I do remember though is being stopped by a copper in Victoria Street for having no front light on my bike. What's that got to do with anything you might ask ?

My answer would be there was proper coppers on the beat, acting as a deterrent, making people feel safe, that kind of thing, it's about time we started thinking about helping Old Bill instead of forcing them to make cuts everywhere.

The problem with the people in charge is that they see more police which reduces crime so they think they need less police which then leads to more crime so we need more police again which reduces crime and then think that we have too many police for the amount of crime happening so want a reduction in police officers. It all just becomes a vicious cycle that nobody at the top thinks outside of what has happened previously and actually used common sense.

2 minutes ago, rynny said:

The problem with the people in charge is that they see more police which reduces crime so they think they need less police which then leads to more crime so we need more police again which reduces crime and then think that we have too many police for the amount of crime happening so want a reduction in police officers. It all just becomes a vicious cycle that nobody at the top thinks outside of what has happened previously and actually used common sense.

Yeah, you could be right rynny. I mean, I know CCTV is a help to the police but I personally forget it's there whereas I wouldn't forget a couple of coppers on the beat. 

I can't stop wondering how sheeponacid and his partner are coping, I saw Tom's picture on EMT last night, really sad. 

7 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Yeah, you could be right rynny. I mean, I know CCTV is a help to the police but I personally forget it's there whereas I wouldn't forget a couple of coppers on the beat. 

I can't stop wondering how sheeponacid and his partner are coping, I saw Tom's picture on EMT last night, really sad. 

If the CCTV is working, I know of periods where it has been switched off outside the train station over the last few years.

10 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Totally disagree regarding social services...

Tend to be damned if they do, damned if they don't...

I can only go on things that I have seen and would never believe the stuff in the red tops. Fortunately I have never had to deal with them directly.

30 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I can only go on things that I have seen and would never believe the stuff in the red tops. Fortunately I have never had to deal with them directly.

Same here, just think it's probably one of the hardest jobs to do... Especially concerning kids, they may have evidence to deal with etc. At end of day it's a judgement call for them either way.

11 hours ago, ossieram said:

Yep.

I'm no proffessor or any other kind of professional and can only give my opinion. I left school 37 years ago and was a long way from being an angel, I got into trouble in school and would get the cane or the slipper, I got home and got the belt of my dad because he would believe what the school told him rather than run up to the school and kick off with them. If I got into trouble out of school and got caught, I got the belt and didn't get out of the house for a week. I was a naughty kid and nobody made excuses for me and I knew the risks I was taking when I got into bother.

I also got into the odd scrape after leaving school as did a few of my mates, but we would have a fight and never once did I see a knife get pulled, we never thought of mugging anyone or ganging up on one person or even walk the streets threatening innocent people. We did have arranged fights with youths from other parts of Derby as we grew up, but that was fights between groups that wanted a scrap and no weapons were ever used. Then we grew up and got jobs and left all that stuff behind us.

There are more muggings and knife related crimes now than there has ever been and the majority are carried out by gangs of youths who would go running home to mummy if they ever got caught on there own and got a slap.

Your generation of corporal punishment still produced bad kids, muggers, murderers and all sorts of types of criminals, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Our generation still produces all those types, despite the lack of corporal punishment. The problem here isn't the absence of physical violence in people's upbringings, it is so much more deeper and complex than that.

16 minutes ago, Jordy said:

Your generation of corporal punishment still produced bad kids, muggers, murderers and all sorts of types of criminals, to suggest otherwise is ridiculous. Our generation still produces all those types, despite the lack of corporal punishment. The problem here isn't the absence of physical violence in people's upbringings, it is so much more deeper and complex than that.

Agree with you Jordy... My take though on the younger generation tends to be more about lack of respect which seems pretty widespread. 

Of course my lot had louts and a number of disrespectful youths knocking about but I think it was easier for adults to tell youngsters off back then. These days it's a rare treat to see youngsters open a door or give up a seat on the bus. I've defiantly noticed a change there. But by no means saying your generation is all bad and mine all good as that really isn't the case. 

My generation dresses better than yours though!! Lol... 

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Agree with you Jordy... My take though on the younger generation tends to be more about lack of respect which seems pretty widespread. 

Of course my lot had louts and a number of disrespectful youths knocking about but I think it was easier for adults to tell youngsters off back then. These days it's a rare treat to see youngsters open a door or give up a seat on the bus. I've defiantly noticed a change there. But by no means saying your generation is all bad and mine all good as that really isn't the case. 

My generation dresses better than yours though!! Lol... 

that's because when you get old you wear cardigans.

• 1 month later...

Archived