Martins body language

Rammy1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Disagree. Ince TRIED to find Martin too much, but he was hidden most of the time. So the pass would get picked off and it made Ince look like he was passing to the other team. In a sense, they were both at fault: martins runs were mostly poor, but Ince should have not tried to force balls though to a marked man. This was especially true in the first half. Yes, Martin had 2-3 nice little flicks, one of which was really nice, but that was the extent of it. And i agree with you about strikers winning free kicks, but the reality is that he's not winning hardly any free kicks now, he's just surrendering the ball. 

Yes I see your point on most of that, but I dont think Martin should change his game because of it. I'm hoping he will persist through and get back to how he was. Chris Martin at the top of his game is too good for any defence in this division. He does need a goal badly though, one he absolutely thrashes into the net. I'm sure he knows that too. 

My perception of Ince tonight was two fold 1) he needs to get the ball from central midfielders and run at teams, most of the time he was wanting the ball from the wing which was overall ineffective. In my opinion this left Butterfield and Johnson too much to do in midfield. Hence they were overran and would dive in stupidly etc. 2) He needed to pick up scraps of what Martin was getting off the defenders. Granted he wasn't holding onto the ball but they was a lot of 'second ball opportunities' from them into space which he should have been picking up on? That formation relies a lot on that no.10 role and you have to be willing to run the show, and tonight I just dont think i saw that willingness from him.

I agree with most here, that he hasn't been great recently and the falling over, when he should be standing strong and distributing a ball to an on running team mate, is beginning to wind me up.

but none of our forward players have had a great season this year. Russell, Ince, Weimann, Johnson even Thorne. No ones really had a great run of form.

to be fair to Martin, he could still score  15-20 goals this season and it's his first proper bad patch since he joined the club.

18 minutes ago, Rammy1 said:

If "Martin gets injured we're screwed. "

Are u deluded 

just say we do get up to the prem. would u honestly play him. Not a chance. He's a championship striker. A good one in the right setup. But not for this team anymore. Wake upWake up

Think you're misunderstanding. That was me quoting something many Rams fans were saying. 

Plenty of worse players than Martin have carved out successful careers in the Premier League. Plenty of players better than Martin have been a huge flop when asked to step up a level.

I hate the whole "good enough for the PL" debate.

Teams play in the Premiership. Not individuals. You have 11 blokes all covering each others weakness and playing to strengths then you will be successful. 

It's why players careers rise and fall so quickly. Not because they lose or gain huge amounts of ability. 

What is it about John Walters that screams PL quality. But he fits what Stoke need. He's no donkey. But hardly has any of the much talked about qualities to be a PL forward. 

7 hours ago, Rammy1 said:

If "Martin gets injured we're screwed. "

Are u deluded 

just say we do get up to the prem. would u honestly play him. Not a chance. He's a championship striker. A good one in the right setup. But not for this team anymore. Wake upWake up

Agreed. We must be sat 2nd in the league by pure luck. Best start to a season ever, followed by a 4 match bad spell and this is how our 'suppprters' react...maybe it is you that should do the 'waking up'.

8 hours ago, Rammy1 said:

Guys. Martin is our bloody captain.  He needs to set an example. It's cheating.  I dont care how good he is on his terms. It's a team game he needs to grow up and realise cheating by falling over trying to get free kicks at every possibility is just not working. And is working against us.  Common clem tell him!!!  Or drop him

I would love to see you try and stand up when you have a big brute pushing you in the back whilst you are trying to control a football. See if you think he is cheating then. 

8 hours ago, Ninos said:

Martin has been ineffective it's true, but he's not the only problem. With no flair central midfielder (Butterfield is okay but he's not a Bryson or Hughes) and Thorne not in there, there is no one to play off Martin (Ince does now and again), and defences have sussed Martin out and we have no answer. It's time to put Blackman or Bent up top and see if we stretch the defence for Ince (and now Camara), just like we did versus Bristol City. 

Probably the only decent chance from open play last night came from an old-fashioned flick on from Martin's head to Ince, who then burst into the penalty area, only to play a dreadful pass to (or have a dreadful misunderstanding with) a totally unmarked Russell who would have had a tap-in.

Then Shearer was a cheat too. I'm not buying the cheating argument but when he doesn't pull it off it's just free ball for the other team but he did win a couple of those last night, so the collapsing acting job to get the free kick isn't the main worry right now is it

8 hours ago, duncanjwitham said:

clement has absolutely no interest in playing to his strengths, and when we don't play well, he gets all the blame.

Martin has been such an important and committed player for us but if Clement wants to really move the team on then there has to be  change up front. 

Just now, toldu said:

Martin has been such an important and committed player for us but if Clement wants to really move the team on then there has to be  change up front. 

In which case shouldn't it be the manager taking the blame for using a player in a system that isn't working?

Just a thought and purely conjecture but maybe Clement does actually want to move Martin on to develop the team more in how he sees the future but needs to keep him playing to keep his value up and in the shop window. Martin is aware of this and is aggrieved and his head has gone down? Something has to account for his recent performances and body language above and beyond a bad run of form surely??

15 minutes ago, Daveo said:

If we sell every player that goes through a bad patch of form a revolving door will need to be fitted at Moor Farm. We'll be getting through more young men than George Michael in a public toilet.

sort of agree but he plays a position where the bad patch has gone on far too long - and he would be first to admit it. We need goals and that's what he must deliver. Unless the runners and creators appear AND he improves his play he won't be the automatic pick he is now.

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

Probably the only decent chance from open play last night came from an old-fashioned flick on from Martin's head to Ince, who then burst into the penalty area, only to play a dreadful pass to (or have a dreadful misunderstanding with) a totally unmarked Russell who would have had a tap-in.

That one was very sweet I agree, and there were a couple more nice ones as well as winning two free kicks but that was all he offered Eddie. His poor runs (forward with his back to the ball and less lateral or crafty) and his passing the ball to the other team were also on display. Plus he won very little in the air. The game was crying out for a Bent substitution at about 70 mins and it never came.

9 minutes ago, Ninos said:

That one was very sweet I agree, and there were a couple more nice ones as well as winning two free kicks but that was all he offered Eddie. His poor runs (forward with his back to the ball and less lateral or crafty) and his passing the ball to the other team were also on display. Plus he won very little in the air. The game was crying out for a Bent substitution at about 70 mins and it never came.

I thought that the game was crying out for Butterfield and Johnson to get out of each other's boots

That too. The game was crying out for a a couple of true creators sitting in front of Thorne - the formation, roles and or personnel in the midfield were clearly wrong last night - Reading destroyed us there. PC has some thinking to do.

I feel bad criticising Martin after the last couple of seasons but he shouldn't start on Sat, Bent deserves to be ahead as he looks way more likely. Not like Martin is even offering a good hold up service anymore, I used to laugh at his dives but last night I was just angry.

Archived