Derby fans with no connections to Derby

voyager1

I was wondering whether there's any Derby fans who have no connections whatsoever with the city of Derby or its surrounding areas.

This might ruffle the feathers of the "support your local team" brigade but given that English football is exported globally, there are lots of people who pick teams without having any affiliation to the area and anyone non-local who picks a team like Derby when they could have picked a high flying premier league team must have an interesting story to tell.

When searching the wider web a long time ago on this subject, I found a story of an American who took a sympathetic liking to Derby during the disastrous season in the Premier League but can't find the link.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm born and bred in Worksop, only 23. My dad's not been around for years and was never into football when he was. I'd tagged along to a few different games with people here and there when I was younger but they didn't do much for me and I only really had a slight affiliation to Man United because they were good (:whistle:). 

My schoolmate went with his grandad to games, I tagged along a couple of times in 2008 season, fell in love with it all and I've had a season ticket ever since.

Not conventional at all but you've gotta start somewhere and I'm forever glad I did. 

19 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've met Derby fans a generation older than me who supported us cos of how we played in the early 70s. Got mates in Walsall who have no connection but are Rams fans.

My mate @TroyDyer has a reason for supporting the Rams.

Exactly how it was for me.  I am from Kent but started supporting the Rams as a child in the early 70s.  Just loved what I saw on "The Big Match" in those days (too little to be allowed to stay up for "Match of the Day"!).  And of course, there was Brian Clough - even for an 8 year old, the charisma and the style of the man were irresistible

I was a gooner born and bred but when the legend Charlie George moved from Arsenal to Derby I switched my allegiance and have supported Derby ever since. 

So now its 150 miles each way to a home game instead of a quick jaunt down to North London ,but I have never regretted it .

We all loved charlie

If i'd known he was going to be at the match v Fulham, i'd have hung around like a groupie to get him to sign his autobiography.

(he legged it with 15 mins to go and missed the second goal).

Moved into the Midlands (Leics) and for a season spent Saturday afternoons going to watch what looked to be the best match, be it Leicester, Coventry, Notts (Forest & County) and Derby.

By the 2nd season it was just the Baseball Ground and that's been where it's at for me for the last 35+ years.

As a child, I was always told that my paternal grandfather came from Derby and supported Derby County. I have never met the man; he died 8 years before I was born.

So Derby were my 'family team' even though I am Australian born. Does that count as 'no connection' with Derby? It turned out my father bulltished about his father coming from Derby; he actually came from Kent and lived in Renal St in Derby for years before emigrating to Australia...but he DID support Derby.

It probably helped that we won our first D1 title when I was 5. At that time, it wasn't that easy to follow English football in Australia in the 1970s. We only really had MOTD on very late Saturday night (a week later) and a soccer segment on World of Sport on Sunday mornings.

59 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

I'm sure John Motson said his son supported the Rams because he was with his dad when he commentated on a Derby Chelsea game. (The one where John Gregory scored a spectacular winner.)

Does that count?

John Motson's dad was also a Derby fan, he has a soft spot for us. His son is a season ticket holder. 

looking up the interview it was because someone from sponsorship gave him a Derby county pencil case:

"How did your son come to support Derby County?

That’s a very good question. I was doing a match at the old Baseball Ground in the late eighties when sponsorship was still fairly new and a man came by with a bag – I was standing in the tunnel checking the teams – and he threw a pencil case at me and said, “Here, take one of these home for your son.” It was a shiny zip-up pencil case with the motif of the ram on for Derby - Eastern Electricity were the sponsors. I said, “He’s only one and a half” but he said, “Take it anyway.” So I took this gift home and my son was literally crawling across the floor as he couldn’t walk yet, and he latched onto the shiny surface of this pencil case and he was puzzled by the ram. That was it – he became a Derby fan there and then. And he now has two season tickets."

Read more at http://www.sport.co.uk/features/sportcouk-meetsjohn-motson/1043#CDK36ZjFkBoOjuR2.99

I fall very much into this category. I've spent my entire 50 years living in Ipswich and my Dad took me to see them play at all their home games when I was young. At the age of 10 though I became a Derby fan and have never looked back. 

Therr could be two reasons for this. A. They were league champions. B. My favourite TV programme was Hectors House and I may have seen the connection with King Zak. 

I saw my first Rams home game in 1988 and now have a season ticket. Long term plans when we eventually retire thiough are to move to Derbyshire which I'll be proud to finally call 'home'.

I'm from Cornwall. Born and raised. I support Derby because of my dad. He's from Somerset and his dad (my granddad) supports Bristol City, so he has no connection to Derby either.

My dad was born in 1964 so when he got to the age of starting to really get in to football, we were one of the best in the country, so I guess he could be called a 'glory hunter' which is ironic considering he supports Derby County! He tells me the thing which really attracted him to follow Derby was Alan Hinton's white boots. Nobody else wore them apparently and he thought they were great.

If it wasn't for that there's an absolute 0 chance I would have supported Derby, so it's strange how small things like a man's choice of boot colour can change your whole life.

My grandparents are rams fans and have had season tickets for years. I went to pride park a lot in the 2007/08 premier league season, the time I really realised how much I loved Derby though was the bpl 07/08 season when the atmosphere was always amazing and will hopefully be repeated when we go up. I supported Derby since I was 4 had a small time liking man united as well because I loved ronaldo and Rooney but I've supported the Rams since I was young but my best moment has to be when we beat man u 1-0 in the Carling cup it was amazing just as good as when we beat the scum 5-0. I currently live in Oxfordshire but I'm looking to move to Derby for uni and get a season ticket as I live about 3 hours away and as my dad isn't a big football fan I can only go about 5 times a season.

There is a quite sizable ( 100 or so) DCFC supporters club in Sweden ran by a fella called Bjorn in Malmö. 

In my early ex pat days living here I joined the Stockholm branch a few games in designated pubs in Stockholm for matches. I have to say it was quite a bizzare experience as coming from real Derby, in Actual England I was treated as something that can best be described as heroic and maybe even slightly exotic!! Pinned into a corner of the bar and quizzed constantly about Derby, which streets I know, walked on, where I hung out. A few of them had been over for games and spent time in Derby which they thought was utopia... 

Most of us from Derby know the old place inside and out and as much as we have obvious affection for the streets we grew up in I think we know only too well that utopia it ain't... It was quite quaint this brief dalience with these fellas as I found it a bit too much after a while. 

Reason for the supporters club over here is that late 60s Sweden was the first country to show live football from England abroad and Derby were shown a lot in those times right through the 70s. Swedes into football usually adopt an English team. Usually Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Leeds, Liverpool. I meet the odd Ipswich, Forest and Villa fans out here too. All throw backs to 70s...

Archived