Derby fans with no connections to Derby

voyager1

Brilliant subject @voyager1

I think its pretty well known to the older Rams fans that there are a whole generation of fans throughout England and overseas based initially on the exploits in the early seventies. I've come across quite a few from Kent for some reason. I think theres a similar situation with Leeds United who , to be fair to them and, however galling it may be, have got a pretty huge Uk-wide support.

And then, like several on here, there are those who were born to it, like my son who has never been closer to Derby than pride park his whole life but is now an even more avid season ticket holder than me.

I think its great. And it kind of puts in perspective when we have a dig at other clubs (i.e. Man U ) for having non-local fans.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, RamNut said:

85-6 onwards we were ok. Just shows what a great job Arthur did.

Poor old Steve Emery......got absolutely smashed by Gerry Gow at Rotherham. Is that a record for the fastest ever sending off?

Could be

Also seem to remember Mick Harford getting sent off for Luton I think when he crippled Mel Sage in the first few seconds of the first game of that season. Mel never played again as far as I know

Yep, similar story to other non-locals here. I remember the exact moment I chose to support Derby, when 6 years old in the mid 1970s and put on the spot by school friends as to who I supported. As Derby were top of First Division of course I chose them!

Over the years occasional trips to southern away matches were the source of pain, apart from a solitary win at Spurs in 1988. A chance to watch the play off final against QPR in 2014 only strengthened my resolve, and after this game I reassessed my life and working patterns to get to as many home and away games as possible and am now a season ticket holder. The highlight was getting to all of the last 13 home and away games last season, nicely coinciding with our collapse, that has given me a mental toughness. This season has been a pleasure, so far. COYR!

I used to live in in Nottingham and was (as a kid) just getting into football, my best mate supported Derby and suggested I do that as well. His grandad lived a few minutes walk from the Baseball ground so we used to go there for dinner before a game. The rest is history. No, I was never tempted to change to Forest even when surrounded by their fans as they won all those trophies.

I will TRY to keep this short! I am Kurdish and was raised in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. 

I have absolutely no connection to Derby but have been supporting them for nearly 20 years. It was an act of early teenage rebellion against my father who had forced me to be a Man United fan like himself. 

Why Derby? Based on watching old videos of football from the 1970's and admiring their history PLUS they had an exciting squad in the mid 90's.

Living in the Middle East we get more Championship games on TV than in the UK. If a game isn't on then I just listen to it on Rams Player. Last game I went to in person was at the Valley in Charlton last season. Sadly my work means I don't get to travel back to the UK as often as I like.

I know in five years I will be called a glory hunter when Derby are in the top four of the Premiership after spending all these following them in the championship but I'll take that.

I had forgotten I have an account as I spend most of my time on here just reading everyone else's posts, but this was a difficult topic to keep quiet about.

I'm another with no connection to Derby whatsoever.

Started supporting them in 1976 when i was at school in Luton, the school I went to was called Ramridge and like so many others i didn't want to support the same team as my schoolmates, the usual Leeds/Arsenal/ Utd/Liverpool lot.

I have a soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday because my dad was a fan and spent many years going to the Dell to watch Southampton when they had Keegan/Channon etc and after moving to near Bognor I spent a lot of time at the Goldstone watching Brighton with some work pals. 

My mum once bought a plain white top and stitched a Ram onto it for me when i was about 9, it wasn't very ram-like though! There's a picture around somewhere, might have to scan it and embarrass meself.

Up to the iPro on the 16th to watch the Brum game!

I'm Birmingham born and bred but as my parents showed no interest in football, I was persuaded by outside factors. 

It started with me following my older cousin in supporting spurs in the late sixties. Then a lad from London moved to our school and become class gang leader. He was a spurs fan and everyone followed his lead. In fact the class kit became the same as the spurs kit. I decided to rebel and looked for another team. In 1970 Derby had the same kit as spurs and the Spurs legend Dave Mackay had moved there, so it was job done. I got my first season ticket on the popside for The 1973/74 season as a 14 year old going up on the train every for the home games. 

I've now inflicted the club on 2 out of my 3 sons, who also haveseason tickets, despite living in London and Portsmouth. 

My Grandfather was from Codnor and family history says he played a local cup game at the Baseball Ground circa 1930, shortly after he and 2 brothers walked to Kent to get jobs in the mines where he lived for the rest of his life.

I spent my childhood visits reading Aye up me duck and looking at a piece of centre circle turf in a plastic souvenir pack! 

I have supported the rams since 76, my first game was v Brighton at the Goldstone in79!

1 hour ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I'm another with no connection to Derby whatsoever.

Started supporting them in 1976 when i was at school in Luton, the school I went to was called Ramridge and like so many others i didn't want to support the same team as my schoolmates, the usual Leeds/Arsenal/ Utd/Liverpool lot.

I have a soft spot for Sheffield Wednesday because my dad was a fan and spent many years going to the Dell to watch Southampton when they had Keegan/Channon etc and after moving to near Bognor I spent a lot of time at the Goldstone watching Brighton with some work pals. 

My mum once bought a plain white top and stitched a Ram onto it for me when i was about 9, it wasn't very ram-like though! There's a picture around somewhere, might have to scan it and embarrass meself.

Up to the iPro on the 16th to watch the Brum game!

Where near Bognor are you? I'm from the mighty town (joke)myself!

3 hours ago, SilentRam said:

I will TRY to keep this short! I am Kurdish and was raised in Abu Dhabi in the UAE. 

I have absolutely no connection to Derby but have been supporting them for nearly 20 years. It was an act of early teenage rebellion against my father who had forced me to be a Man United fan like himself. 

Why Derby? Based on watching old videos of football from the 1970's and admiring their history PLUS they had an exciting squad in the mid 90's.

Living in the Middle East we get more Championship games on TV than in the UK. If a game isn't on then I just listen to it on Rams Player. Last game I went to in person was at the Valley in Charlton last season. Sadly my work means I don't get to travel back to the UK as often as I like.

I know in five years I will be called a glory hunter when Derby are in the top four of the Premiership after spending all these following them in the championship but I'll take that.

I had forgotten I have an account as I spend most of my time on here just reading everyone else's posts, but this was a difficult topic to keep quiet about.

don't be silent. It's having posters with diverse stories like your good self that makes this forum so awesome. Please post more.

36 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

don't be silent. It's having posters with diverse stories like your good self that makes this forum so awesome. Please post more.

Thank you! I will post more often. After that first half, I should probably head towards the Matchday chat right away.

1 hour ago, Eric the half a ram said:

Where near Bognor are you? I'm from the mighty town (joke)myself!

Hi Eric, welcome.

Lived in Elmer for a while in the late eighties. Then me dad died, mum sold up and moved to Chi with her fancy man and I moved to Worthing (Goring) and got married. Been here 25 years now.

15 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Hi Eric, welcome.

Lived in Elmer for a while in the late eighties. Then me dad died, mum sold up and moved to Chi with her fancy man and I moved to Worthing (Goring) and got married. Been here 25 years now.

I'm Yapton born and bred, used to see a girl who lived opposite the cabin in 1984is!

27 minutes ago, Eric the half a ram said:

I'm Yapton born and bred, used to see a girl who lived opposite the cabin in 1984is!

Yapton eh? Seem to remember playing against them for Elmer Beach FC a couple of times :)

Aah, the Cabin! We were all members back in the day, Friday night in the Elmer then down to the Cabin til midnight.

You don't know who stole the spoiler off my yellow Beetle do you ;)

12 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Yapton eh? Seem to remember playing against them for Elmer Beach FC a couple of times :)

Aah, the Cabin! We were all members back in the day, Friday night in the Elmer then down to the Cabin til midnight.

You don't know who stole the spoiler off my yellow Beetle do you ;)

I couldn't possibly comment ;-)! 

Harsh to think it was Yapton folk we were all law abiding citizens! :-) 

I moved out in 85,  all the way to Bognor!

We've probably passed each other at Fratton Park or  the Withdean over the years!

As a South Derbyshire mon born and raised, who supports the Rams simply because they're my local team and I was born into it, I love threads like this.

I just find it incredible that there are people from all over the world, from all different walks of life, differing backgrounds, financial situations, religions, races, political affiliations... that will sit down, fire up the internet or the TV and collectively have their weekends made (or ruined) by the score that is shown for the scruffy small city represented by our famous old club that play on a former rubbish tip.

The power of football and the internet to unite is truly incredible.

Great stories.

As you were gents.

I'm from Warrington and started to support the Rams in the 70s. Where I live you were either a Man Utd, Man city, Liverpool or Everton fan. I just wanted to be different and Derby were the best entertaining side of the time. Brian Clough, Archie Gemill, Colin Todd, Charlie George and not forgetting the baseball grounds pitch ( painting the penalty spot was pure baseball ground history). I loved all the highs and lows and although I'm not from Derby, I will always be a Ram. COYR.

I live in Phoenix, where "football" is that deathly dull game that's 15 minutes of action and 45 minutes of people standing around.

But I was born in Derby and get out to the iPro once or twice a year when I'm in the country for work. I've got a handful of American fans to follow the club and I know they'll be even more vocal once we hit the Premier League.

Archived